attendance

soxrwhite

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (since56 @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 07:44 AM)
The White Sox have some big names and are currently in the thick of the chase in the A.L. Central. The weather has been great for night games and the team has been playing well. The northsiders suck and are not a factor. A beautiful Friday night in late July against the Red Sox the house should have been packed. I know we have been down this road before, but why not better attendance? The park is beautiful and the experience is a positive one. I have been to more than a few stadiums around the country and the cell is above average. I don't get it.

Ticket prices are wayyy too high. Not to mention parking is too expensive and the beer is outrageous for recent graduates. I'd rather tailgate and get tipsy outside so I don't have to pay $7.25 for a beer inside. But some days I can't even tailgate because a parking guy is a dick and sucks at customer service, telling people if they have Honda CRVs they can't pull up where everyone is tailgating in spite of two small cars being close by. I don't buy the Cubs/Sox argument because if they were able to draw 27,000-30,000 a night that should be enough to put the Sox past some of those other clubs.

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Aug 1, 2011 -> 02:31 AM)
Ticket prices are wayyy too high. Not to mention parking is too expensive and the beer is outrageous for recent graduates. I'd rather tailgate and get tipsy outside so I don't have to pay $7.25 for a beer inside. But some days I can't even tailgate because a parking guy is a dick and sucks at customer service, telling people if they have Honda CRVs they can't pull up where everyone is tailgating in spite of two small cars being close by. I don't buy the Cubs/Sox argument because if they were able to draw 27,000-30,000 a night that should be enough to put the Sox past some of those other clubs.

Anybody who pays 7.25 for a beer deserves to have it spilled on him/her. Out of principle nobody should buy a beer that costs that kind of money. No f***ing way. Of course a soft drink I would assume is about 5 bucks and a bottle of water prolly 5 bucks, right? I guess u gotta drink something.

Edited by greg775

Not to broadcast myself completely but It's not all financial for me. I live in the southwest suburbs, am a teacher, and have no children. The past 7-8 years I would go to 8-10 games a summer. I would usually cherry pick games off of stubhub but I would still be there. I went to two games during the early part of this year. I do not anticipate going back. The team is just not fun. I love going to the ballpark. I went to Colorado this year and Pittsburgh last year. Yes the Sox were playing, but I wanted to see those parks as well. I am not paying money to see this team. If the team was actually contending I would be out there. That's what it is for me. The current team is unlikeable as well. Adam Dunn was always one of my favorite players and in the offseason I anticipated spending a lot of time at the Cell. That obviosuly has not gone according to plan. I am not spending money to see Pierre, Rios, etc. I may consider heading out in September if I know for sure that Viciedo is in the lineup and there is a chance that Addison Reed could pitch. Also, the Ozzie/Kenny dynamics are just wearing me out. I love the White Sox. But I don't love these White Sox. Sorry for the rambling but I guess that's what the board is for.

Price for parking is ridiculous. $23? Really??? They raise the prices it seems, every two years! Going to a game is no longer a spur of the moment thing unless you have money for such an expense. It's more of a treat every once in a while.

Oh and another thing, I don't even go if I can't find cheaper tickets on craigslist because even sitting in the upper deck is expensive. Why would I want to pay those prices for crappy seats and no lower level access? I guess that's what happens when you have such a high payroll and field .500 teams.

It's the implication that because Detroit (as a metro complex, real estate or auto industry) was on the verge of total collapse and due to the fact that Chicago's comparatively healthy (healthy enough to be wiped out in Transformers 3, imagine if Detroit was the target!!!)...

But the Tigers are the ONLY game in town, everything is cheaper, they're in first place and have been for a good stretch and they've got the best pitcher and arguably the best hitter (or 2nd to Pujols) in the game today. There's a whole lot more entertainment value there, that's for sure.

For the good of baseball, it's nice to see the revival, temporary as it may be...in CLE and Pittsburgh. Those cities have been hard hit, too.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 1, 2011 -> 04:13 AM)
http://dailyherald.com/article/20110731/sports/707319804/

This pretty well sums it up nicely enough.

It certainly does. I was there yesterday and yesterday was the perfect example of why attendance is bad, and going to get even worse. Oh, how many times have I seen this game this season? Numerous times.

-Even though it was Frank Thomas day and a Boston series, the place looked to be about 1/3 empty. RF and the bleachers had huge patches of empty seats; the corners of the UD were empty.

-I'd venture that 40% to half of the people there were Boston fans anyway. It was quite the sight, to see an endless parade of Boston fans coming up the stairs with their... Frank Thomas bobbleheads?

-You know the team is FUBAR when Boston goes up 2-0 and you're thinking: that's the ballgame

-They come back, but eventually fall apart because you know if anybody has a three-run lead we are never going to come back. Contrast that with 2005 where you NEVER thought they couldn't come back. That makes a team unexciting to watch. Lifeless. Who wants to pay to see that?

-Another day, another Adam Dunn variety of strikeouts, another Rios underachievement. The irony is that those two scored our only runs, for once.

-Once you get past those two disasters, who in the lineup inspires, impresses, has that fan appeal? Morel? Pierre? Beckham? Other than Paulie, there's nobody in the lineup who people are excited to see at the plate. Save for maybe AJ, who caused the only stir during yesterday's snoozefest when he pinch hit for Flowers

-Yes, Sox fans, you get all this on top of having to pay premium prices for UD seats and of course the always-affordable concessions, where, for instance, two bottles of SODA costs $9

But what really, really kills it for me, and I'm a loyal fan, is the endless, endless inability to score with runners on base. I cannot even count how many times this season: bases loaded, no outs, and nobody gets in. Runners at the corner, nobody gets in. Men on second and third, nobody gets in. Weak grounders and pop ups. Hell the best hit of yesterday was Alexei's bunt.

So now that the deadline is past and they've done nothing, KW has made it clear they're going to ride this beast into the ground. I can assure you there won't be many fans there to join them this season.

One last thing: this was a HOME game and let's not forget their record at home this year. This is worse than 2007. At least they consistently sucked that season.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 31, 2011 -> 11:42 PM)
Not to broadcast myself completely but It's not all financial for me. I live in the southwest suburbs, am a teacher, and have no children. The past 7-8 years I would go to 8-10 games a summer. I would usually cherry pick games off of stubhub but I would still be there. I went to two games during the early part of this year. I do not anticipate going back. The team is just not fun. I love going to the ballpark. I went to Colorado this year and Pittsburgh last year. Yes the Sox were playing, but I wanted to see those parks as well. I am not paying money to see this team. If the team was actually contending I would be out there. That's what it is for me. The current team is unlikeable as well. Adam Dunn was always one of my favorite players and in the offseason I anticipated spending a lot of time at the Cell. That obviosuly has not gone according to plan. I am not spending money to see Pierre, Rios, etc. I may consider heading out in September if I know for sure that Viciedo is in the lineup and there is a chance that Addison Reed could pitch. Also, the Ozzie/Kenny dynamics are just wearing me out. I love the White Sox. But I don't love these White Sox. Sorry for the rambling but I guess that's what the board is for.

I support this post.

But what really, really kills it for me, and I'm a loyal fan, is the endless, endless inability to score with runners on base. I cannot even count how many times this season: bases loaded, no outs, and nobody gets in. Runners at the corner, nobody gets in. Men on second and third, nobody gets in. Weak grounders and pop ups. Hell the best hit of yesterday was Alexei's bunt.

Me too. I can't watch it anymore.

I give the game a chance til the first time they pull this, then I simply can't watch.

I sometimes return to the game, especially if I hear it's 3-3 or something and see if we can pull it out.

I can't watch us strand runners anymore. It's too not fun.

I start watching each game with interest, then just can't watch that crap til later in the game if it's still close or somehow we are winning.

Greg, I don't see how you gave up on Buehrle versus Andrew Miller so quickly yesterday.

Tonight's game, or Saturday night's, yeah...that's a bit more understandable.

Or at least waiting until Quentin and Dunn left the bases loaded. That was undeniably the time to head for the cinemas or swimming pool.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 1, 2011 -> 03:40 PM)
Greg, I don't see how you gave up on Buehrle versus Andrew Miller so quickly yesterday.

Tonight's game, or Saturday night's, yeah...that's a bit more understandable.

Or at least waiting until Quentin and Dunn left the bases loaded. That was undeniably the time to head for the cinemas or swimming pool.

24,000 for the Yankees .......................fans are sick of tiered pricing, high parking and s*** product on the field. I salute Sox fans for having balls unlike sheep at Wrigley.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Aug 2, 2011 -> 07:29 AM)
24,000 for the Yankees .......................fans are sick of tiered pricing, high parking and s*** product on the field. I salute Sox fans for having balls unlike sheep at Wrigley.

Down 2000 a game from last year on average as of now, without having had to deal with the August losing streak or September slump yet.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Aug 2, 2011 -> 06:29 AM)

Where were all the Yankees fans? Usually just their presence ups the crowd to over 30k. Or were there that few Sox fans?

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Aug 2, 2011 -> 06:29 AM)

Actually the Cubs are eating it this year, finally. Finally, the "Loveable Loser" aura is no longer a draw. Why it took this long I don't know, but at the risk of dating myself, I think the younger generation now around never bought into that, if they even know what it is.