Buehrle Signs with Marlins | 4 yrs $58 mil

southsider2k5

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 12:34 PM)
Has a chance to compete, but a small one. 4/5 of that rotation could be awful. We still don't know what Humber will do as an encore (I think he's a back of the rotation piece), Sale will probably have some growing pains as he enters the rotation for the first time, Stewart is a wildcard who might profile better as a reliever, and Peavy could continue to Peavy.

On top of that you need to bank on Rios and Dunn bouncing back, Dayan to not miss a beat, as well as Morel and Gordon to progress offensively.

Sure the team could be competitive, but so many things have to work out. It's just as likely to be battling the Twins for the cellar. I'm of the opinion that losing both Danks and Floyd would severely hurt this team's chances.

;)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (spiderman @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 11:28 AM)
The only they compete is if Dunn returns to a 30HR+ player and Vicedio replaces Quentin's production. That offense would have to be very good to hold up a pitching staff that looks like that. I'd say that this would be a 75 win team.

I'd rather get younger than see that team. As you said, 75 wins.

To me, keeping one out of Buehrle/Danks/Floyd doesn't make sense. You either keep two of them and go for it all or you keep none of them and rebuild. Keeping one of them means you are failing to maximize your ability to win in the future while at the same time failing to maximize your ability to win in 2012.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 11:34 AM)
Has a chance to compete, but a small one. 4/5 of that rotation could be awful. We still don't know what Humber will do as an encore (I think he's a back of the rotation piece), Sale will probably have some growing pains as he enters the rotation for the first time, Stewart is a wildcard who might profile better as a reliever, and Peavy could continue to Peavy.

On top of that you need to bank on Rios and Dunn bouncing back, Dayan to not miss a beat, as well as Morel and Gordon to progress offensively.

Sure the team could be competitive, but so many things have to work out. It's just as likely to be battling the Twins for the cellar. I'm of the opinion that losing both Danks and Floyd would severely hurt this team's chances.

Dunn going back to his career norms from an outlier season is extremely probable. Rios is Rios so who knows. Outside of that I fully expect the lineup to be good enough to compete in our division which is pretty weak from top to bottom. I expect Sale to be a very good starting pitcher right out of the gate. I also expect improvement from Peavy with an entire offseason of conditioning. If they dont unload Danks and Floyd then I would take Buehrle and Stewart out of the rotation.

1. Peavy (whatever)

2. Danks

3. Foyd

4. Humber

5. Sale

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 05:42 PM)
Dunn going back to his career norms from an outlier season is extremely probable. Rios is Rios so who knows. Outside of that I fully expect the lineup to be good enough to compete in our division which is pretty weak from top to bottom. I expect Sale to be a very good starting pitcher right out of the gate. I also expect improvement from Peavy with an entire offseason of conditioning. If they dont unload Danks and Floyd then I would take Buehrle and Stewart out of the rotation.

1. Peavy (whatever)

2. Danks

3. Foyd

4. Humber

5. Sale

And the thing is, if the moves happen that you think might, we would be reloading our farm system. I'm of the opinion that KW won't go balls out for rebuilding. He'll try to compete while rebuilding at the same time.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 11:40 AM)
To me, keeping one out of Buehrle/Danks/Floyd doesn't make sense. You either keep two of them and go for it all or you keep none of them and rebuild. Keeping one of them means you are failing to maximize your ability to win in the future while at the same time failing to maximize your ability to win in 2012.

Not especially. Trading both Floyd and Danks is you selling out your present for the prospects they would both bring in a trade. Buehrle is then your basic 3 year lynchpin in the rotation while you move out pieces and build around talent you acquire with your more established players. Losing Buehrle and keeping Danks and Floyd is probably a band aid until you can unload at the deadline or through offering arb and getting a pick.

As White Sox fans I am extremely surprised at people thinking they will unload every older player they have for 5 years of cellar dwelling, it just wont happen.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 11:44 AM)
And the thing is, if the moves happen that you think might, we would be reloading our farm system. I'm of the opinion that KW won't go balls out for rebuilding. He'll try to compete while rebuilding at the same time.

Which if you want to keep a fan base on the south side, is how he has to do it.

Just the mere mention of deals at the deadline last year had a significant portion of people (not here obviously) freaking out about White Flag, which happened 14 years ago. People have to be cognizant of the teams history before spazzing out when we don't meltdown on a moments notice.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 11:44 AM)

Exactly. The moves I've mentioned for months and that are now getting airplay in the press essentially bring in a pretty heavy return of young players which is what KW is reportedly asking for.

You unload:

Thornton

Quentin

Danks

Floyd

Pierre

Omar

(Aj)

And bring in all of the players you get in return which is most likely >6 players. You also are now injecting a former first round draft pick into your rotation and your #1 prospect into RF. We would now have at least 4 draft picks in starting (IMO) roles (Flowers, Morel, Gordo, Sale) and several other signees (Viciedo, Alexei, Santos) in important roles. Dont forget we also have Santiago and Reed playing pivotal roles in the bullpen (draft picks). Thats 9 internally drafted or signed younger players taking up spots on the roster with perhaps 2-3 other impact young players coming from the trades you made in the offseason. I think KW sees this as rebuilding on the fly without jeopardizing most of the fanbase as well as his job.

Whoops Santos just got traded. So already another impact prospect coming over.

Edited by RockRaines

Call me crazy, but it really isn't a leap of faith to say this team could contend.

If you give that Dunn returns to normal, it's nowhere close to a leap.

If we do lose all of Buehrle, Floyd, Danks - pitching would take a leap to believe in though.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 12:45 PM)
Call me crazy, but it really isn't a leap of faith to say this team could contend.

If you give that Dunn returns to normal, it's nowhere close to a leap.

If we do lose all of Buehrle, Floyd, Danks - pitching would take a leap to believe in though.

Hey Crazy, stop being crazy.

Ha I'm just kidding. I too think they can contend. Well I HOPE they can contend. I don't think KW has even gotten started and this team will look a lot different by the time spring training rolls around.

Edited by Chet Kincaid

I don't think the Cards have even offered him. Their rotation is pretty full as it is, and they have their own payroll issues with Sir Albert.

it has been reported that the Cards are trying to trade Lohse to make room for Buehrle.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 02:36 PM)
The 5 teams on the final list for Buehrle

Marlins - 1,216 miles to St. Louis, MO

Angels - 1,821 miles to St. Louis, MO

Rangers - 650 miles to St. Louis, MO

Washington - 816 miles to St. Louis, MO

Mets - 952 miles to St. Louis, MO

Thank god the Cubs, Det, and Minn are not on the list..

U.S. Cellular Field - 298 miles to St. Louis, MO

As we can see, being closer to home and retiring early to be with family are clearly the two biggest priorities for Mark Buehrle.

Oh, and money. Lots and lots of money.