Rosenthal: "Danks will go"

southsider2k5

http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/whitesox-ta...rce=twitterfeed

J STANKEVITZ

csnchicago.png

With the Winter Meetings less than a week away and White Sox news stagnating a bit in the last few weeks, maybe a reminder that Mark Buehrle and John Danks aren't likely to be back is in order.

That's precisely what FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal said on Tuesday's edition of Chicago Tribune Live, telling the panel he doesn't see either Buehrle or Danks playing for the Sox for 2012.

The reason applies to both: the market for pitching this offseason is going to drive teams to great lengths to acquire arms. In the case of Buehrle, he'll receive a high-priced multiyear deal -- which, if you caught Chicago Baseball Hot Stove on Tuesday, could come back to bite whatever team gives it to him per Baseball Prospectus' Kevin Goldstein. And in the case of Danks, with all that high-priced pitching on the market, there will be plenty of interest in an inexpensive, young, effective lefty, even if it's only for a year.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 10:08 AM)
not surprising. this is a rebuild whether or not anyone wants to admit it.

These sorts of posts amuse me. There is no "this" yet, so how can you possibly say what it is?

Maybe it SHOULD be one, but I love how everyone is already deciding that the future is so predictable. Especially with Kenny in charge.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 11:20 AM)
These sorts of posts amuse me. There is no "this" yet, so how can you possibly say what it is?

Maybe it SHOULD be one, but I love how everyone is already deciding that the future is so predictable. Especially with Kenny in charge.

True dat

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 04:20 PM)

i'm glad i can provide amusement.

here: it's my strong opinion that this is a rebuild. hiring a manager with no previous mlb coaching experience, cutting ticket prices, and letting it be known that your best guys are available would seem to be fairly obvious factors indicating this is the case.

better?

Edited by thedoctor

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 10:30 AM)

here: it's my strong opinion that this is a rebuild. hiring a manager with no previous mlb coaching experience, cutting ticket prices, and letting it be known that your best guys are available would seem to be fairly obvious factors indicating this is the case.

better?

Better than saying people who aren't 100% are in denial, yeah.

Anyway, first off, I would contend that having an inexperienced manager is maybe not a sign of rebuilding. If I wanted to rebuild, I'd want someone around who knew how to manage young players. But I do agree to an extent on the other two factors. Season tickets are going down very slightly (a couple %), which is a nod to the poor performance and bad economy, but also could signal a need to cut salary numbers. And I am sure KW is listening to all sorts of offers, so there is no doubt that a full-on rebuild may indeed occur. But I think he hasn't decided, and he won't until he thinks he can't wait anymore on the decision on Buehrle.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 04:36 PM)
Better than saying people who aren't 100% are in denial, yeah.

Anyway, first off, I would contend that having an inexperienced manager is maybe not a sign of rebuilding. If I wanted to rebuild, I'd want someone around who knew how to manage young players. But I do agree to an extent on the other two factors. Season tickets are going down very slightly (a couple %), which is a nod to the poor performance and bad economy, but also could signal a need to cut salary numbers. And I am sure KW is listening to all sorts of offers, so there is no doubt that a full-on rebuild may indeed occur. But I think he hasn't decided, and he won't until he thinks he can't wait anymore on the decision on Buehrle.

my reference to people wanting to admit it or not is more a reference to kw coy approach (denial?) than to posters here. i haven't visited enough lately to know whether or not it's an issue that's being debated regularly.

each of the individual factors you noted are valid. but as a sum total i'm drawing my conclusion that we are heading to a rebuild. which is fine. i've never really been sure if "rebuilding on the fly" is a strategy that can be executed successfully.

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 10:30 AM)

better?

I agree. IMO, 2011 was sort of a last hurrah since regulars Buehrle and Pierre hitting FA, and Quentin and Danks a year away from arbitration and unlikely to be resigned. Thats 3 of our better players more than likely gone, and who do we have to replace them? Not much, due to the weak farm system and the team's financial constraints.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 01:39 PM)
Knowing Kenny, he's going to deal John Danks for some formerly heralded offensive player who is 24-25 and some overrated reliever, and try to win now assuming Sale can step into the rotation.

Yonder Alonso(his prospect ranking has gone down i believe so would hat make him formerly heralded?) and Bill Bray?? :pray

Yonder Alonso(his prospect ranking has gone down i believe so would hat make him formerly heralded?) and Bill Bray?? :pray

Per MLBtradeRumors yesterday...

Rival GMs consider Yonder Alonso a one-dimensional player, not someone who could be a centerpiece in a trade for a starting pitcher like James Shields or Gio Gonzalez.
Edited by VictoryMC98

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 12:39 PM)
Knowing Kenny, he's going to deal John Danks for some formerly heralded offensive player who is 24-25 and some overrated reliever, and try to win now assuming Sale can step into the rotation.

Here are the possibilities

1.) We trade Danks for a limited upside but major league ready minor league guy. Think AAAA.

2.) We trade Danks for high upside lower in the minors that have a high up ceiling.

3.) We trade Danks + a boat anchor and get crap in back. We use future savings as our win.

4.) We trade Danks and get some sort of major leaguer back. Nothing earth shattering. Just a win now move.

I would prefer option 2. My guess is that Kenny would love to use option 3, 1, or 4 in that order with Danks.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (whitesox901 @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 02:40 AM)
There was a rumor at the dead line for Danks to Texas for Derek Holland. They're (Texas) looking for a reliever now too. Maybe package Danks and Thornton for Holland and prospect(s)?

I can say with confidence that I'll buy myself an authentic Juan Pierre jersey before Texas makes that deal.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 07:34 AM)
Honestly. I think a lot of people here are going to be disappointed with the returns the Sox get in deals.

IMO, very few people are expecting great returns, so I think it's more likely people will be pleasantly surprised. I'd like to hear why you think our returns are going to be so bad. Even with one year left before free agency, I think Danks should be able to land a very good, near major league prospect like Alonso. Do you disagree? Not like there are many options in free agency if you're desperate for SP and don't have $50 million plus to spend.