Aaron Rowand Signs With Marlins

SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 07:38 AM)
You guys are ready to hand a starting spot to Lilli?

Sample sizes aren't big enough. He should definitely be allowed to compete with Beckham for the 2b job, but he's handed nothing. Rowand fits as long they are willing to play Lilli at a few positions. And with a player like that, you get the most value out of him that way (unless he wants to prove even more offensively than he did last year....)

I'm not. I love him as a super-sub and match up plug in. He is one that I feel wouldn't be nearly as good playing everyday, though he can feel free to prove me wrong.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are ready to instantly hand a starting spot to Lilli?

Sample sizes aren't big enough. He should definitely be allowed to compete with Beckham for the 2b job, but he's handed nothing. Rowand fits as long they are willing to play Lilli at a few positions. And with a player like that, you get the most value out of him that way (unless he wants to prove even more offensively than he did last year....)

Not handing him a starting spot, but he can play 7 positions and small sample size or not, he had a better OPS in 2011 than every starter not named Konerko. I don't see how you ditch him off the roster to make Rowand the 4th OF.

If Rowand takes Vizquel's roster spot and Lilli transitions back to more IF than OF, I'm OK with that, though I think Lilli is a better OF than IF.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 07:38 AM)
You guys are ready to instantly hand a starting spot to Lilli?

Who is handing him a starting spot? He's a much better 4th of at this point than Aaron, it's not even close.

I'm not. I love him as a super-sub and match up plug in. He is one that I feel wouldn't be nearly as good playing everyday, though he can feel free to prove me wrong.

Wait, what.. 3 months ago when I joined, you were ready to hand him the everyday DH for Dunn.. Are you stating now you were wrong, and that Ozzie made the right move?

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 11:00 AM)
Wait, what.. 3 months ago when I joined, you were ready to hand him the everyday DH for Dunn.. Are you stating now you were wrong, and that Ozzie made the right move?

Way to distort the conversation.

The question was could anyone on the team have done better than Dunn did. Are you telling me that Lillibridge wouldn't have done better as the every day DH?

And three months ago when you joined... lol, ok. Keep trying.

Way to distort the conversation.

The question was could anyone on the team have done better than Dunn did. Are you telling me that Lillibridge wouldn't have done better as the every day DH?

And three months ago when you joined... lol, ok. Keep trying.

That wasn't the conversation at all, you were arguing that Lilly should have been starting Aug 1st at DH (After we found out what his August #s looked like)

We have had this conversation, just seeing if you were willing to admit you were wrong, or just flip flopping ..

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 11:29 AM)
That wasn't the conversation at all, you were arguing that Lilly should have been starting Aug 1st at DH (After we found out what his August #s looked like)

We have had this conversation, just seeing if you were willing to admit you were wrong, or just flip flopping ..

We had this conversation, and you obviously don't remember it at all.

Bring back AROW! Well if we need a 5th OF and can get him for very cheap. He's getting $12 mil this year from the Giants anyway. One year 1.5 mil? Would you really say no to him for $1.5 mil? Not like we have a MLB ready OF prospect ready for 2012 anyway.

De Aza, Rios, Quentin, Viciendo, Lilli. CQ is prolly gone and Lilli can be a util IF. De Aza, Viciendo for sure and Rowand/Rios/? as 3-5. Ugly but when Rios takes up all that $ you have to find deals for your other OFs.

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 05:27 PM)
Bring back AROW! Well if we need a 5th OF and can get him for very cheap. He's getting $12 mil this year from the Giants anyway. One year 1.5 mil? Would you really say no to him for $1.5 mil? Not like we have a MLB ready OF prospect ready for 2012 anyway.

De Aza, Rios, Quentin, Viciendo, Lilli. CQ is prolly gone and Lilli can be a util IF. De Aza, Viciendo for sure and Rowand/Rios/? as 3-5. Ugly but when Rios takes up all that $ you have to find deals for your other OFs.

Heh, he's looking at a minor league contract with an invite to spring training.

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 05:38 PM)
Even better then if it's a minor league deal and ST invite. Why not. What the hell.

You can say that about any player. What exactly makes Rowand different? Is it the fact that he's Aaron Rowand because that's not a good enough reason.

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 05:27 PM)

Unequivocally, yes.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 05:40 PM)
You can say that about any player. What exactly makes Rowand different? Is it the fact that he's Aaron Rowand because that's not a good enough reason.

I'm fairly certain you know that's the reason.

Why in god's name would we sign a washed up vet in a year where we're ostensibly not contending, even for the league minimum? Just for fun? We're fine at OF.

I see it posted that we have "nothing to lose" but we have nothing to gain, either. What, do you want him to be a professor of grindiness? Ozzie's gone, and hopefully so is that sort of silliness.

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 05:38 PM)
Even better then if it's a minor league deal and ST invite. Why not. What the hell.

If the Sox signed him, it would be for the minimum with SF picking up the balance. I don't see the harm in it. Chances are he sucks., but if he's decent and the Sox don't contend they could trade him for a 26 year old in A ball with a 5.00 ERA.

A team needs to have 25 players on the active roster including at least four bench players. It's great to be able to fill at least one of those final bench spots with a guy you only have to pay league minimum. if it happens to be a guy whom the organization loves and is a fan favorite, that's even better.

And with Ozzie gone, I'm going to assume he won't be getting an inordinate amount of playing time at the expense of younger guys with more upside such as Lillibridge.

Holy f***ing hell in the name of almighty allah most gracious/most merciful - Aaron Rowand f***ing sucks! Do you people not follow baseball outside of the Sox? Teams? Players? Aaron Rowand reminds me of that smell that comes from dirty belly-button. You do not give roster spots to terrible baseball players because, well, there is no f***ing reason. Stop it, people.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 07:35 PM)
Holy f***ing hell in the name of almighty allah most gracious/most merciful - Aaron Rowand f***ing sucks! Do you people not follow baseball outside of the Sox? Teams? Players? Aaron Rowand reminds me of that smell that comes from dirty belly-button. You do not give roster spots to terrible baseball players because, well, there is no f***ing reason. Stop it, people.

Adam Dunn was hitting clean up for the Sox a good portion of 2011. Aaron Rowand may be terrible, but if he's on the roster, he's not the worst player on the team.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 07:35 PM)

He will fit right in.

Seriously, if Rowand started as much as Rios last year ..Rowand could have posted better numbers. If Rios still sucks next year, then Rowand would be a better option and more likeable.

I see a possible spot for Rowand as a backup OF. We aren't re-signing Pierre and Vizquel. Quentin is highly rumored to be traded.

Nothing lost inviting him to spring training. If he is good enough to make the roster, then good. If he is willing to take a minor league contract, then that is good too (insurance for the OF).

QUOTE (WHITESOXRANDY @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 06:25 PM)
Firstly, there's no room for him. Rios, De Aza, Viciedo and Lillibridge.

Secondly, he's worse than all of them. WHen was the last time that he was good? What year?

Third, why would you take away playing time from the young guys to play Rowand?

Makes no f***ing sense at all. The only reason that I can imagine the Sox would even think about it would be the need to sell a few tickets.

There really is no logical reason for him to be here. It's such a fan-boy type of signing that is only meant to invigorate the old feelings of 2005. "He's a club house leader," we'll hear. Or, "he'll be a good addition with the departure of Buehrle to manage the clubhouse."

No one here knows Ventura enough as a manager to trust him; but I would rather remove the temptation all together or Rowand being on this team. I just fear a scenario where he's the go-to guy when players are struggling because of his veteran status and clubhouse leadership.

I swear, I won't truly be happy until every member of the 2005 White Sox team retires. I've already anticipated hearing rumors of Buehrle returning less than two seasons from now.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

I don't see the harm with him coming to Spring Training.

If he looks good, he can be the fifth outfielder - might be able to be a good influence for the young guys.

If Q is still here, there's no place for A-Row for sure, though. Lillibomb > A-Row anyday.