Carlos Quentin traded to Padres

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 04:11 PM)
I don't know why some of you guys consider Ozzie a quitter.

Ozzie says a lot of things like all ballplayers/baseball people. Just like Kenny lied and said he'd trade for guys ready to contribute now. Lie.

At Ozzie's age, name a better candidate to be a manager on a baseball team. His resume was built in Chicago and now other teams get to reap the benefits the next 20 years. Great.

And we get Robin Ventura, who should make the game threads very very interesting this year (unless it's full of people assuming we're going to lose most games the next 10 years as we "rebuild")

bolded #1: because he quit.

bolded #2: you really want a GM that tells the truth all the time? then you can have a team that is constantly in last place.

bolded #3: you love Ozzie because he was a White Sox player with no managerial experience. You rip Ventura because he's a former Sox with no managerial experience. Got it.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 05:27 PM)
Cause they are on the team and are on the team FOR A LONG TIME TO COME.

Mite as well play them.

In a pennant race? That's just irresponsible. I don't think most of us really believed in a comeback, but we weren't far off in early August.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 03:27 PM)
Cause they are on the team and are on the team FOR A LONG TIME TO COME.

Mite as well play them.

Your posts over the last 6 months to a year have been pathetic, childish, spiteful, and of absolutely no substantive value.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 06:27 PM)
Why do people think that teams are willing to give up quality, cheap, and major league ready prospects so easily? These are known as assets, and teams that have them generally would like to keep them unless they are blocked or are being traded for high end established veterans. Carlos Quentin doesn't warrant such a return.

Well for one thing it's true that they don't have to when dealing with the Sox. Plus Carlos Quentin is a much bette ball player than folks here seem to want to give hm credit for

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 06:00 PM)
Well for one thing it's true that they don't have to when dealing with the Sox. Plus Carlos Quentin is a much bette ball player than folks here seem to want to give hm credit for
If Carlos Quentin was never hurt, then he'd be an incredible hitter. Carlos Quentin is injured vastly more than you want to pay attention to.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 02:59 PM)
Because he offered to resign and JR said "You can stay" and he didn't quit and throw a tantrum.

He really didn't offer to resign. He offered to take another job in the organization. What he didn't say is whether or not he also offered to have his paycheck adjusted accordingly.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 03:11 PM)
I don't know why some of you guys consider Ozzie a quitter.

Ozzie says a lot of things like all ballplayers/baseball people. Just like Kenny lied and said he'd trade for guys ready to contribute now. Lie.

At Ozzie's age, name a better candidate to be a manager on a baseball team. His resume was built in Chicago and now other teams get to reap the benefits the next 20 years. Great.

And we get Robin Ventura, who should make the game threads very very interesting this year (unless it's full of people assuming we're going to lose most games the next 10 years as we "rebuild")

As usual, this post is all kinds of fail.

Ozzie Guillen is a p**** who quit on his team. This is not up for debate, unless Ozzie suddenly became a white New Yorker those last two games.

Also, for the love of god, stop claiming that Guillen is destined to do great things. He won a World Series for us and even his biggest haters, including myself, are grateful for that. However, what has he done since that season? You can rip KW all you want, and a good chunk of it is deserved, but he has put together that looked good on paper. Yet our teams have continued to underachieve practically every season since. We always start off cold and fold like a bunch of p*****s when the games truly count. After several seasons of the same bulls***, Guillen has to be accountable. Furthermore, Guillen's in-game decision making has gotten worse and worse, most likely due to his ever growing ego. He actually puts our team at a disadvantage on a regular basis. If I were KW, I would have fired Guillen on the spot last season for the time he pinched hit with Dunn. That was by far the dumbest baseball decision I have ever seen made in my entire life. I honestly have no idea how anyone can think he's something special?

And what's with the Robin Ventura hate? Does he not make enough funnies to keep you entertained in Lawrence? Everyone here knows Ventura will be very raw next year, but after that it's anyone's guess. He could become a good manager eventually or he could flop out in 3 years. But stop acting like Ozzie came in with some huge pedigree. He had just as much managing expedience as Robin. And let's be honest, Ventura probably can't be any worse Guillen. All he has to do is look at some basic statistics (i.e. splits), stop throwing away outs bunting guys over constantly (and overdoing the stealing as well), not reward lazy p*****s by benching them for one game and then putting them right back in the lineup the next game, and not bring up contract extensions in the thick of the playoff race and then quit on your team when you don't get one. If Robin can just follow those simple rules, he's a decent chance at being better than Ozzie next year.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 03:30 PM)
bolded #1: because he quit.

bolded #2: you really want a GM that tells the truth all the time? then you can have a team that is constantly in last place.

bolded #3: you love Ozzie because he was a White Sox player with no managerial experience. You rip Ventura because he's a former Sox with no managerial experience. Got it.

Thank you for mentioning point #2. Nothing pisses me off more than people (usually Greg) saying "KW lied about ______". He's a f***ing professional trader/salesman and has to lie to GMs, players, and fans to do his job effectively. He's got to hype up his own players, even if he doesn't truly believe in them, to build up their value. He's going to lie about the direction of the team to confuse opposing GMs and sometimes to help sell tickets. These are just a couple of reasons why a good GM lies and it's simpl part of the job.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 07:27 PM)
Why do people think that teams are willing to give up quality, cheap, and major league ready prospects so easily? These are known as assets, and teams that have them generally would like to keep them unless they are blocked or are being traded for high end established veterans. Carlos Quentin doesn't warrant such a return.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 01:01 AM)
How can anyone complain about this move? Sox didn't have a need for Fraser and got two guys with some potential. They aren't can't miss but who in the world would exPect that in this type of deal. Nice job Kenny.

1.) Yeah, an all star with some pop in his bat who everybody in baseball has heard of doesn't warrant getting somebody in return who can help us now? Or at least a prospect that people in baseball are excited about?

2.) I'd like to have seen Frasor get us somebody with a shot at making the team right now. I mean it's a nice salary dump for those who care about Jerry's money. I sure the f*** don't.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 02:00 AM)
Thank you for mentioning point #2. Nothing pisses me off more than people (usually Greg) saying "KW lied about ______". He's a f***ing professional trader/salesman and has to lie to GMs, players, and fans to do his job effectively. He's got to hype up his own players, even if he doesn't truly believe in them, to build up their value. He's going to lie about the direction of the team to confuse opposing GMs and sometimes to help sell tickets. These are just a couple of reasons why a good GM lies and it's simpl part of the job.

My quotes always get taken out of context IMO.

I was answering people who were b****ing about Ozzie quitting on the team and the stuff Ozzie says. I pointed out that Ozzie says a lot of s***, lies a lot, just like Kenny lies a lot. Then it gets turned around that I only call Kenny a liar. I need a Soxtalk PR man.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 08:01 PM)
1.) Yeah, an all star with some pop in his bat who everybody in baseball has heard of doesn't warrant getting somebody in return who can help us now? Or at least a prospect that people in baseball are excited about?

2.) I'd like to have seen Frasor get us somebody with a shot at making the team right now. I mean it's a nice salary dump for those who care about Jerry's money. I sure the f*** don't.

No, neither of those deserve anything of significant value back right now, because people also have to deal with contracts, and continuing to ignore the fact that all 30 teams care about salary is really quite sad.

This is a decent move. Simon Castro was one of the Padres dominating pitchers prior to his dismal 2011 season-which leads me to believe KW/Coop & Co. identified something they could tweak to return him to form. Thought maybe we could've gotten Grandal and Castro, but that might've been too much

Peavy, Danks, Floyd, Sale, Humber

with Molina, Castro, Stewart - waiting in the wings is pretty good.

And what's with the Robin Ventura hate? Does he not make enough funnies to keep you entertained in Lawrence? Everyone here knows Ventura will be very raw next year, but after that it's anyone's guess. He could become a good manager eventually or he could flop out in 3 years. But stop acting like Ozzie came in with some huge pedigree. He had just as much managing expedience as Robin.

No Robin Ventura hate. I like Ventura and I won't be ripping him in game threads. I could see myself possibly pointing out the fact Ozzie would get crucified for a move nobody is ripping Ventura for, but I won't blast him. I like Ventura the player obviously. Ozzie came in with a decent coaching pedigree BTW. He actually was in a dugout helping win a WS. Robin, God love him, is the guy I remember as color commentator at the Little League World Series.

I have nothing against him. He was a way better player than Ozzie. I'll be the first to admit that. The problem I have with him is his hiring signifies the fact this team's management believes the team will do nothing the next 3-5 years. They hired a guy with no experience to lead the "transition" years. I'd have preferred somebody like Francona to see if our underachievers might be able to have career years and lead us back atop the division.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 07:10 PM)
No Robin Ventura hate. I like Ventura and I won't be ripping him in game threads. I could see myself possibly pointing out the fact Ozzie would get crucified for a move nobody is ripping Ventura for, but I won't blast him. I like Ventura the player obviously. Ozzie came in with a decent coaching pedigree BTW. He actually was in a dugout helping win a WS. Robin, God love him, is the guy I remember as color commentator at the Little League World Series.

I have nothing against him. He was a way better player than Ozzie. I'll be the first to admit that. The problem I have with him is his hiring signifies the fact this team's management believes the team will do nothing the next 3-5 years. They hired a guy with no experience to lead the "transition" years. I'd have preferred somebody like Francona to see if our underachievers might be able to have career years and lead us back atop the division.

So if I waved people around a base for the Cardinals last year, I can manage?

QUOTE (pktmotion @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 08:04 PM)
This is a decent move. Simon Castro was one of the Padres dominating pitchers prior to his dismal 2011 season-which leads me to believe KW/Coop & Co. identified something they could tweak to return him to form. Thought maybe we could've gotten Grandal and Castro, but that might've been too much

To me, the two trades signal Zach Stewart as a bullpen option in 2012.

Greg, what would your reaction be to trading Gavin Floyd today and signing Edwin Jackson tomorrow?

Would the gain of 2 minor league pitchers, Zach Stewart, $10 million of savings on Teahen and bringing back a pitcher who seems more likely to be dominant with the Sox/Cooper be a "good move" or not for KW?

And can we really worry about giving up draft pick/s since nobody thinks we'll use them correctly, anyway? Win now, baby!!! Right?

Keep in mind the prospects we might be able to get for Floyd would probably be better than Molina alone for Santos...

QUOTE (pktmotion @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 07:04 PM)

They have already said they ID'd things similar to their changes with Jose Contreras they think they can fix.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 02:24 AM)
Greg, what would your reaction be to trading Gavin Floyd today and signing Edwin Jackson tomorrow?

Would the gain of 2 minor league pitchers, Zach Stewart, $10 million of savings on Teahen and bringing back a pitcher who seems more likely to be dominant with the Sox/Cooper be a "good move" or not for KW?

And can we really worry about giving up draft pick/s since nobody thinks we'll use them correctly, anyway? Win now, baby!!! Right?

Keep in mind the prospects we might be able to get for Floyd would probably be better than Molina alone for Santos...

Well, I haven't completely given up on the idea we might be able to contend in the s***ty Central if all goes exceedingly well (though loss of Mark and CQ make me think we'll be way worse than last year) so I'd be against dealing Floyd at this time.

I'm not all that high on Zach and KW is the guy who brought in Teahen in the first place so getting rid of him, while nice, is not a feather in KW cap.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 07:28 PM)
Well, I haven't completely given up on the idea we might be able to contend in the s***ty Central if all goes exceedingly well (though loss of Mark and CQ make me think we'll be way worse than last year) so I'd be against dealing Floyd at this time.

I'm not all that high on Zach and KW is the guy who brought in Teahen in the first place so getting rid of him, while nice, is not a feather in KW cap.

But Viciedo is pretty likely to be just as productive as Quentin was last season....since Carlos missed 40 games roughly and only had 77 RBI's.

Plus you're saving a bit of money.

DeAza >> Pierre

Buehrle, you're right...that's been the key loss. (You can clearly blame that on Dunn/Rios and Peavy to a lesser extent).

And if Reed doesn't put up an 80% conversion rate as closer, that move could look disastrous as well, depending on how Sergio does night in and night out against tougher competition in the Yankees, Red Sox and Rays.

Once again, the toughest losses to absorb SHOULD BE Buehrle and Thornton/Crain/Floyd. If Floyd goes, we're pretty much writing off competing in 2012 unless he's replaced by a pitcher with an even longer term deal like Edwin Jackson or Oswalt (and I wouldn't give him what he's asking for with all the wear and tear on that arm).