Another White Sox / Blue Jays trade on the horizon?

striker

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 01:58 PM)
Yep. With what the Jays have in that system, I have no problem with Kenny and Alex as trade partners.

Do you guys wonder about the dynamic that is going on here? Are they planning things this way? Or do they keep going back to one another because they are the most-willing partners?

I'd give credit to Kenny for approaching these deals one by one...when you move guys all at once or in larger deals you tend to get less back for them.

I just hope it isn't Kenny that keeps going back to Alex because his alternatives are not working out...

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 02:05 PM)
Do you guys wonder about the dynamic that is going on here? Are they planning things this way? Or do they keep going back to one another because they are the most-willing partners?

I'd give credit to Kenny for approaching these deals one by one...when you move guys all at once or in larger deals you tend to get less back for them.

I just hope it isn't Kenny that keeps going back to Alex because his alternatives are not working out...

I'm starting to believe that AA likes dealing with KW, not because he is fleecing him but he's trading near fair value and KW is aggressive and doesn't fart around like a lot of GMs.

I think a lot of teams aren't sure what they are doing, whether it's with FAs or their direction/payroll, and thus we aren't seeing a whole ton of trades happening.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 01:16 PM)
And because this is the case, Dunn, Rios and Peavy need to be starting as much as possible. The only chance we have at dealing them is with bounceback seasons. That isn't going to happen if they are on the bench for someone out our crappy Charlotte OF.

You've said this to me before, I know and I don't think I've said otherwise.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 02:05 PM)

I think there was a backroom deal for Frasor going back there.

If you remember when Jackson was traded there was a chance the Sox could make the playoffs. If you get three prospects for Teahan and Jackson all hell would break lose. I think the Sox have done very well in the three deals.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 02:18 PM)
Can we all send off faxes/e-mails to all the major league GM's to let them know Gavin Floyd is currently available...to please bid on him and bump up the return by getting all the teams in baseball to "e-bay him" into a stellar prospect haul?

That would be hilarious. It would evolve into this huge thing. Soon we'd be deciding who WE wanted to be available. KW would publicly protest, but at the end of the day, he'd be getting calls on guys, and deals would happen from time to time. We'd be like another branch of government; the popular vote says MOVE FLOYD FOR PROSPECTS. OFFER KENNY PROSPECTS.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 02:45 PM)
That would be hilarious. It would evolve into this huge thing. Soon we'd be deciding who WE wanted to be available. KW would publicly protest, but at the end of the day, he'd be getting calls on guys, and deals would happen from time to time. We'd be like another branch of government; the popular vote says MOVE FLOYD FOR PROSPECTS. OFFER KENNY PROSPECTS.

It's funny since Boras has effectively done the same thing with premium players. He conducts a bidding process that he controls and sets hard deadlines. I understand that GMs have to be sensitive to the players, but I wonder if they do sometime conduct controlled auctions of players and let teams know that XYZ player is available for a trade and they have until a specific date to submit their best and final trade offer. Then the team that comes up with the best package gets the player no matter what.

Now I'm dreaming up this huge scenario where a team is publicly owned like the Packers, but they make all the roster decisions by popular vote. Anyone in the city could vote, but in order to vote, you'd have to show up to a voting event where team officials presented their cases for what they wanted to do, so you wouldn't have a bunch of casual fans screaming to sign everyone and never trade veterans, both because they wouldn't bother to sit through the rpesentations and because if they did, they'd at least have to hear a rational argument.

It would be a disaster on many levels -- strategic confidentiality, cost of operation, slow administration, to name a few -- but it was fun to think about.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 5, 2012 -> 03:00 PM)
Now I'm dreaming up this huge scenario where a team is publicly owned like the Packers, but they make all the roster decisions by popular vote. Anyone in the city could vote, but in order to vote, you'd have to show up to a voting event where team officials presented their cases for what they wanted to do, so you wouldn't have a bunch of casual fans screaming to sign everyone and never trade veterans, both because they wouldn't bother to sit through the rpesentations and because if they did, they'd at least have to hear a rational argument.

It would be a disaster on many levels -- strategic confidentiality, cost of operation, slow administration, to name a few -- but it was fun to think about.

Sounds like a good idea for a "near future" novel. Tie in a murder or missing person, and you could have a pretty good story.

Background could be half of the MLB teams went bankrupt due to some major world financial event. Now teams are publilcly owned, and as you said...