2012-2013 NFL Thread

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 30, 2012 -> 08:38 PM)
If I were an OC and they promised they we're gonna upgrade the OL I'd be all over the job. The weapons are there already, they just need a damn line.

Why wouldn't I take a job with one of the many other coaches that go in fresh with a team (where it is likely I at least have 3-4 years to work?)?

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 30, 2012 -> 09:48 PM)
Personally, I don't have that much against Lovie. His specialty is defense and the defense has been good the past few years.

The problem(s) I do have with him are the stupid and useless challenges and the inability to get an OC who can call a play in time. There is absolutely no reason you should be wasting most of your timeouts before the end of a half. It's inexcusable. The entire offense needs to be rethought and remade.

I can definitely be sold on a team in which Lovie remains head coach and we hand someone else the reins on offense. However, I've been sold on this before and I won't be offended if the Bears decide that Lovie has had too many chances. If we do can Lovie, though, I will be very insecure about the future of the defense. He's presided over awesome defenses and I find it all too likely that we don't fix our offensive issues and we create a new batch of defensive ones with a new coach. It is also worth mentioning that we've been a rather controversy free team with Lovie because he has a pretty damn good grasp on what comes out of that locker room.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 30, 2012 -> 08:41 PM)
I can definitely be sold on a team in which Lovie remains head coach and we hand someone else the reins on offense. However, I've been sold on this before and I won't be offended if the Bears decide that Lovie has had too many chances. If we do can Lovie, though, I will be very insecure about the future of the defense. He's presided over awesome defenses and I find it all too likely that we don't fix our offensive issues and we create a new batch of defensive ones with a new coach. It is also worth mentioning that we've been a rather controversy free team with Lovie because he has a pretty damn good grasp on what comes out of that locker room.

Lovie is excellent at handling the lockeroom and clubhouse and contrary to what people think, I think the team is well prepared and plays hard. Very few times can I think of times where the Bears just came out flat. I can live with Lovie but It is just too hard for me to allow him to get to choose yet another OC. He's botched too many of those hires already.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 30, 2012 -> 11:40 PM)
Why wouldn't I take a job with one of the many other coaches that go in fresh with a team (where it is likely I at least have 3-4 years to work?)?

Because I'm promising you an upgraded OL. It's hard to argue that a Bears team with an upgraded OL wouldn't be fun to work with. You get one of the top WRs in the game, Alshon Jeffery who's shown flashes of being a really good WR, and Earl Bennett who Cutler has confidence in as your slot receiver...Then you throw in Matt Forte who's a damn good back.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 30, 2012 -> 10:52 PM)
Because I'm promising you an upgraded OL. It's hard to argue that a Bears team with an upgraded OL wouldn't be fun to work with. You get one of the top WRs in the game, Alshon Jeffery who's shown flashes of being a really good WR, and Earl Bennett who Cutler has confidence in as your slot receiver...Then you throw in Matt Forte who's a damn good back.

Come on now, the bears offer you no job security. They will be last on anyone's list right now if they keep lovie. There could be anywhere from 3 to 9 or 10 job openings in the nfl in the next week, why would you tie yourself to a coach in his walk year over a coach with a brand new contract. That promised upgraded OL? How do you promise that? Say you will go sign every top tier OL on the market? What happens if they want to sign elsewhere?

You are living in fantasyland if you think any top tier OC would jump at this job. It is nothing but a trap door

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 12:01 AM)
Come on now, the bears offer you no job security. They will be last on anyone's list right now if they keep lovie. There could be anywhere from 3 to 9 or 10 job openings in the nfl in the next week, why would you tie yourself to a coach in his walk year over a coach with a brand new contract. That promised upgraded OL? How do you promise that? Say you will go sign every top tier OL on the market? What happens if they want to sign elsewhere?

You are living in fantasyland if you think any top tier OC would jump at this job. It is nothing but a trap door

Well ya, I guess you can't really guarantee an upgraded OL but knowing it will be addressed would be comforting. Like I said it's hard to argue that this offense doesn't have A TON of potential behind a good O line.

If Lovie walks and the offense thrives behind an upgraded OL then you set yourself up to potentially take Lovies job.

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 30, 2012 -> 11:10 PM)
Well ya, I guess you can't really guarantee an upgraded OL but knowing it will be addressed would be comforting. Like I said it's hard to argue that this offense doesn't have A TON of potential behind a good O line.

If Lovie walks and the offense thrives behind an upgraded OL then you set yourself up to potentially take Lovies job.

No, if the offense thrives and lovie walks, emery sets up his own regime,

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 01:22 AM)
No, if the offense thrives and lovie walks, emery sets up his own regime,

I guess I don't understand this logic....What exactly would be an Emery regime mean? I know he's ran a 3-4 but what does that have to do with the offense? If they get a guy who runs the offense successful why would he get rid of him?

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 30, 2012 -> 11:49 PM)
I guess I don't understand this logic....What exactly would be an Emery regime mean? I know he's ran a 3-4 but what does that have to do with the offense? If they get a guy who runs the offense successful why would he get rid of him?

Meaning if lovie is out, emery cleans house. Nobody stays, he hires his own guys. Has nothing to do with what defense he wants. Just because a coordinator is doing well that doesn't mean you say he can stay.

I know you love the bears like I do and want that OC job to be desirable, it just isn't with Lovie remaining as head coach and no promises going forward.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 12:55 AM)
Meaning if lovie is out, emery cleans house. Nobody stays, he hires his own guys. Has nothing to do with what defense he wants.

I know you love the bears like I do and want that OC job to be desirable, it just isn't with Lovie remaining as head coach and no promises going forward.

So he already has his own guys??? Who are these guys? How does that work? Are they already in the NFL but once he gets control they'll be coming over?

Serious questions.

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 12:00 AM)
So he already has his own guys??? Who are these guys? How does that work? Are they already in the NFL but once he gets control they'll be coming over?

Alright, I'm done

Night y'all

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 30, 2012 -> 08:20 PM)
Marty was fired after going 14-2.

Lovie should go.

How did the new guy do? Lost to NE in the playoffs just like Marty. Most of the names thrown around would want more power than just being the head coach, although many here say Lovie has that power. As for Andy Reid, what is so different about his teams' results than the Bears under Lovie? He did win 2% more of his games and like Lovie lost his only SB appearance. I don't see the Bears shelling out big money to him while paying Lovie another year just because Joe in section 429 doesn't think Lovie gets pissed off enough. If Lovie wasn't under contract next year, I could see change to make change, but this is the Bears, and if they are planning to hire a coach, history suggests we all should be careful what we wish for. A Dick Jauron clone could be next.

Edited by Dick Allen

My predictions

NFC

Vikings over Packers

Redskins over Seahawks

Vikings over Falcons

49ers over Redskins

49ers over Vikings

AFC

Texans over Bengals

Colts over Ravens

Broncos over Colts

Pats over Texans

Pats over Broncos

Super Bowl

49ers over Pats

The fear of the unknown is a terrible reason to keep a coach. Every team should strive for greatness and we all know Lovie isn't that.

Lovie is two things, a great defensive coordinator and a very good motivator. Unfortunately, he has no ability to pick good offensive minds and his overall in-game managing is just plain bad. Does this make him a horrible head coach? No, he's so strong on the defensive side of ball that it makes up for some of his other shortcomings. However, it does make him incredibly flawed and prevents him from ever being a great head coach in the NFL.

I actually don't see how keeping Lovie is up for debate. Does anyone here really think Emery wants to commit to Lovie as his long-term guy? Emery has worked his ass off to become a GM and now he's going to stake his career on a head coach that he was forced to keep for a year? If this guy has any kind of long-term vision, he'll want to hire his own guy who will better suited to carrying it out.

And going the lame-duck route and keeping Lovie for one more season makes even less sense. Some good coaches will jump ship and you'll have a very hard time replacing them. Also, if you fire Tice, how are you going to hire a respectable OC? You pretty much have to give Bates the job. So after all this, Lovie is given another year to meet what criteria? Make the playoffs? Let's say the Bears don't, that's two years of not making the playoffs under Emery and even if he makes Lovie the scapegoat, the whole process will reflect poorly on him. Also, then we're talking about yet another OC Cutler will have to work with in 2014.

I think the decision is pretty obvious for Emery. Fire Lovie and find a new head coach that matches the organization's long-term vision. p****footing around for another year would just add to this mess. I'm not too worried though, I think there's almost no chance Lovie is brought back.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 07:56 AM)
The fear of the unknown is a terrible reason to keep a coach. Every team should strive for greatness and we all know Lovie isn't that.

Lovie is two things, a great defensive coordinator and a very good motivator. Unfortunately, he has no ability to pick good offensive minds and his overall in-game managing is just plain bad. Does this make him a horrible head coach? No, he's so strong on the defensive side of ball that it makes up for some of his other shortcomings. However, it does make him incredibly flawed and prevents him from ever being a great head coach in the NFL.

I actually don't see how keeping Lovie is up for debate. Does anyone here really think Emery wants to commit to Lovie as his long-term guy? Emery has worked his ass off to become a GM and now he's going to stake his career on a head coach that he was forced to keep for a year? If this guy has any kind of long-term vision, he'll want to hire his own guy who will better suited to carrying it out.

And going the lame-duck route and keeping Lovie for one more season makes even less sense. Some good coaches will jump ship and you'll have a very hard time replacing them. Also, if you fire Tice, how are you going to hire a respectable OC? You pretty much have to give Bates the job. So after all this, Lovie is given another year to meet what criteria? Make the playoffs? Let's say the Bears don't, that's two years of not making the playoffs under Emery and even if he makes Lovie the scapegoat, the whole process will reflect poorly on him. Also, then we're talking about yet another OC Cutler will have to work with in 2014.

I think the decision is pretty obvious for Emery. Fire Lovie and find a new head coach that matches the organization's long-term vision. p****footing around for another year would just add to this mess. I'm not too worried though, I think there's almost no chance Lovie is brought back.

I agree with all of this. Not as confident as you about Lovie getting canned, I am thinking 50/50 right now, but I defiitely agree with this.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 30, 2012 -> 07:26 PM)
The Bears have never hired a head coach with previous NFL head coaching experience. If Lovie goes, there is a decent chance Wanne II is hired. At least Bears fans will be happy until September.

Aren't there a lot of head coaches who find success with their 2nd coaching gig?

I realize that the Bears don't hire head coaches with previous coaching experience, but maybe Emery can break that pattern if the price is right. If Rivera is let go in Carolina I would love to see him back with the Bears. He has not had big success yet and I would think that he would be a good candidate to blossom into a great coach. I don't believe that he would be that expensive yet either. Does anyone know if he burned any bridges (other than with Lovie) when he was let go before?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 07:56 AM)

Isn't that the reason Tice was the OC to begin with? Facts are, a lot of Bears fans were jumping for joy when Tice was named OC. The very same ones who were screaming the Bears should dump Forte after the great signing of Bush. Now those same people want to say Lovie is an idiot because he wanted Bush. You can name anyone OC or head coach, if Webb is your starting LT next year, chances are the Bears won't win 10 games, and the next group will be called clowns by the clowns in the stands.

Edited by Dick Allen

This Sean Jensen tweet makes me think Lovie just might be fired.

Sean Jensen ‏@seankjensen

Have a gut feeling, but I'd rather keep it to myself and focus on news RT @artbest1 sean...youre always in the know..does lovie stay or go?

Just seemed like an odd tweet if he were going to stay.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 08:25 AM)
Isn't that the reason Tice was the OC to begin with? Facts are, a lot of Bears fans were jumping for joy when Tice was named OC. The very same ones who were screaming the Bears should dump Forte after the great signing of Bush. Now those same people want to say Lovie is an idiot because he wanted Bush. You can name anyone OC or head coach, if Webb is your starting LT next year, chances are the Bears won't win 10 games, and the next group will be called clowns by the clowns in the stands.

The standard is the playoffs(and greater goal is the championship), not what the fans want.

Neither goal have been met but once in the past 6 years, and there is one constant here and that is lovie. Emery needs to do what is right for the Bears and needs to rebuild an aging team into a playoff team again. That DOES include fixing the offensive line.

Who here was screaming to dump Forte? Who here is saying Lovie is an idiot for wanting Bush?