Parking up $2.00 Weekdays

Soxfest

QUOTE (The Critic @ Feb 26, 2012 -> 11:16 AM)
I haven't parked at the ballpark in years, but it's still absolute bulls*** to charge 25 dollars for a parking space for a ballgame.

That said, the price of parking won't be the reason I go to fewer games this year.

United Center parking STARTS at $27.

Bears Parking STARTS AT $35.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Feb 26, 2012 -> 12:22 PM)
The weekday parking at the cell/wrigley/uc is counter to typical rush hour traffic. i dont see rham-bo's logic for making the venues part of the tax aside from the fact that the sox have 7000 parking spaces, which means up to 14k a game in tax revenue.

Really, wouldn't you say that a significant chunk of the cars coming in always come along the same path as the traffic rush, people leaving the city?...and perhaps even more important, the Sox pack the nearby surface streets with people and cars at that time, making them no longer useful routes for travel. Oh, and that also takes up a contingent of police and associated resources that could be used elsewhere too.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Feb 26, 2012 -> 05:16 PM)
I haven't parked at the ballpark in years, but it's still absolute bulls*** to charge 25 dollars for a parking space for a ballgame.

That said, the price of parking won't be the reason I go to fewer games this year.

A lot of people are going to say screw it as the years pass and just forget about attending pro sporting events.

Too much money in a dead economy.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 26, 2012 -> 11:29 AM)
Really, wouldn't you say that a significant chunk of the cars coming in always come along the same path as the traffic rush, people leaving the city?...and perhaps even more important, the Sox pack the nearby surface streets with people and cars at that time, making them no longer useful routes for travel. Oh, and that also takes up a contingent of police and associated resources that could be used elsewhere too.

subarbanites LEAVE the city during the afternoon rush hour. sox park is IN the city. and most games are typically at night.

and as most cub weekday games are matinees, the traffic is typically during the off peak time of 1:20.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Feb 26, 2012 -> 12:33 PM)
subarbanites LEAVE the city during the afternoon rush hour. sox park is IN the city. and most games are typically at night.

Personally, I don't think of 35th as being "Downtown", I think of it as being on the way out, but that's my NW Indiana perspective.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 26, 2012 -> 08:02 AM)
Public transport all the way. They are going to be trying to give away those tuesday night Sox/Royals-Indians-Twins games, yet theyw ant to charge $25 to park in the lot.

That fee is beyond ridiculous. $25 to park a car when they have more than ample parking.

How else is the team going to pay for Buehrle Johnson?

The White Sox season ticket communication was pretty clear that the price of parking would be increasing as of January 1, 2012 due to city tax increases. I was offered my 2011 rate if I renewed my tickets/parking before that date. I didn't renew, but they were pretty communicative about it.

I work in Oak Park now, as opposed to Bolingbrook, so I plan on using public transportation instead of driving in, which I look forward to.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 26, 2012 -> 11:13 AM)
Way too much over-analysis going on here. It's 8 quarters. Get over it.

Right, on top of 92 quarters. 100 quarters to see an overpriced game and consume overpriced crap for a bad team. You're going to go far with your fiduciary vision.

Since I only go to games typically with 3 or 4 other people, and we drive together, it's not that big a deal although the cost to park your car in a lot blocks away from the stadium has long surpassed ridiculous levels (as has the price of food/beer, etc), but people are willing to pay it (generally speaking).

BTW, I finally took public trans to a game this past summer. The only unpleasant part was we parked all the way up in Skokie and late at night, that is a spooky parking garage. It reeked of urine, there were a few people hanging around, and it was just my girlfriend and I. Not comfortable at all. It was nice however to walk onto the train and start heading north without any hassles.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Feb 26, 2012 -> 12:25 PM)
the sox elected to NOT increase parking on weekend games, where they get better overall attendance as well as more parking spots sold. take it for what it's worth.

Please see the below post which I referred to earlier.

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Feb 26, 2012 -> 02:52 AM)
Folks, that isn't on JR or the Sox- that reflects the changes to the City budget. The City of Chicago has implemented a congestion fee of an additional fee of $2 on weekdays this year. And if you want to say that the parking is a private fund, the recreation tax has also increased this year so I feel it's a fair business practice for the stadium to mirror the increased cost of the city parking to offset the increased tax they are charged.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Feb 26, 2012 -> 12:26 PM)
United Center parking STARTS at $27.

Bears Parking STARTS AT $35.

Luckily there is still plenty of free parking north of the UC.

Bears parking is not comparable since there are fewer games, twice as many people, and the tailgating aspect is doubled.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 26, 2012 -> 07:29 PM)
Right, on top of 92 quarters. 100 quarters to see an overpriced game and consume overpriced crap for a bad team. You're going to go far with your fiduciary vision.

Then you weren't going anyway when it was $23. They've been mediocre to bad 4 of the last 5 years. For the regulars that still go, you're not going to stop going because of a $2.00 spike (which wasn't the White Sox's doing) in parking. I'm sorry. I know there's nothing going on right now. But this seems like a "I just need something to b**** about" thread.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 26, 2012 -> 12:52 AM)
25 dollars to park for a Sox-Royals game. What a joke.

Or Sox-Mariners.

Wait. I thought the Royals have alot of young propects and are going to fun to watch this year. Isn't that the kind of team we're supposed to pay to see?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 27, 2012 -> 11:19 AM)
Go to Shinnick's or any other bar or restaurant in the area and you can park on the street for free. Just ask them for a parking pass, or you can go to Schallers park in their lot and eat and drink before the game and save a few bucks in addition to the parking fee.

What good is saving money on parking if you are forced to just spend the same money plus some at a bar/restaurant?