The Miami Marlins thread

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 02:08 AM)
How does that explain the success of Ventura?

Ozzie speaks to the media, to the public....Ventura choose his words carefully and speak in a way that commands respect from the players and coaches. He's not loud or controversial or charismatic in the way you wish him to be, but it has worked.

Let's look at another example of in the Ozzie School, Bobby Valentine. Has his "act" worked in Boston? Not at all.

This whole idea of "speaking forcefully" is why our country has become so polarized. There's no reasonable people left.

Greg, how many times this season has Robin Ventura thrown anyone under the bus?

Greg, how many times has Ozzie thrown his own Marlins' players under the bus this season? Let's see, we have Logan Morrison, Bell, Zambrano, Gaby Sanchez, Bonifacio....the team makes a HUGE comeback in that game two days ago, Bell blows yet another save when that's expressly what he's paid to do, the guy's clearly not in 100% good shape or condition (similar to Jenks his last 2-3 seasons) and it's the whole team's fault, but NOT Bell's?

Even Bell has to think that is asinine as the closer.

Think its a coincidence that Ventura has been nothing but supportive of every player on the team, most especially Dunn, DeAza, Viciedo, Beckham and even the likes of Morel and Ohman?

You don't get it. Ozzie's act is new and fresh.

He keeps the clubhouse loose and fire off his players so they can go out and perform 100%.

If they don't, it's because they're too serious and not listening to Ozzie.

After all, he has a ring, so who are they gonna listen to? Him or some no name like Jack McKeon?

OZZIE IS GREAT!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 01:25 AM)
You don't get it. Ozzie's act is new and fresh.

He keeps the clubhouse loose and fire off his players so they can go out and perform 100%.

If they don't, it's because they're too serious and not listening to Ozzie.

After all, he has a ring, so who are they gonna listen to? Him or some no name like Jack McKeon?

OZZIE IS GREAT!

I will laugh at some point in August or September when the White Sox pass the Marlins in the attendance race.

Sincerely doubt he has had anything but a negative effect overall on their crowds this season, particularly after the Castro Fiasco.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 07:08 AM)
How does that explain the success of Ventura?

Ozzie speaks to the media, to the public....Ventura choose his words carefully and speak in a way that commands respect from the players and coaches. He's not loud or controversial or charismatic in the way you wish him to be, but it has worked.

Let's look at another example of in the Ozzie School, Bobby Valentine. Has his "act" worked in Boston? Not at all.

This whole idea of "speaking forcefully" is why our country has become so polarized. There's no reasonable people left.

Greg, how many times this season has Robin Ventura thrown anyone under the bus?

Greg, how many times has Ozzie thrown his own Marlins' players under the bus this season? Let's see, we have Logan Morrison, Bell, Zambrano, Gaby Sanchez, Bonifacio....the team makes a HUGE comeback in that game two days ago, Bell blows yet another save when that's expressly what he's paid to do, the guy's clearly not in 100% good shape or condition (similar to Jenks his last 2-3 seasons) and it's the whole team's fault, but NOT Bell's?

Even Bell has to think that is asinine as the closer.

Think its a coincidence that Ventura has been nothing but supportive of every player on the team, most especially Dunn, DeAza, Viciedo, Beckham and even the likes of Morel and Ohman?

Good post, but I was referring to myself with the quote about speaking forcefully. Milkman was saying how I'd be more well liked if I didn't come across as a self serving know it all. I said you (meaning me) have to speak forcefully in this day and age of the anonymous Internet lest u get eaten alive.

I like Robin. He's off to a fantastic start and if he keeps this up, yes he could have a greater run at this than Ozzeroo. I don't know if he'll want to manage forever; does anybody know if he likes the job? he's doing great right now. I liked him as a player and I like him as a manager no matter what Jordan says.

I will forever defend Ozzie, but I want the White Sox to win every game and Robin to be the next Casey Stengel/Tony LaRussa/Earl Weaver, Billy Martin. But I also love Ozzie and will defend him.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 02:58 AM)
Good post, but I was referring to myself with the quote about speaking forcefully. Milkman was saying how I'd be more well liked if I didn't come across as a self serving know it all. I said you (meaning me) have to speak forcefully in this day and age of the anonymous Internet lest u get eaten alive.

I like Robin. He's off to a fantastic start and if he keeps this up, yes he could have a greater run at this than Ozzeroo. I don't know if he'll want to manage forever; does anybody know if he likes the job? he's doing great right now. I liked him as a player and I like him as a manager no matter what Jordan says.

I will forever defend Ozzie, but I want the White Sox to win every game and Robin to be the next Casey Stengel/Tony LaRussa/Earl Weaver, Billy Martin. But I also love Ozzie and will defend him.

Called him just a few minutes ago. He told me he likes the job. But just a little bit. Not a lot.

I cannot wait for the stupid drama in Miami to continue. Sit back and enjoy the White Sox doing well, and no drama in the clubhouse (or if there is, it isn't known to the world cause of the manager).

I love Ozzie for '05 and '06, he really seemed like a good manager. Then came the downward spiral that was him just trying to gain fame. Glad he moved onto a different ballclub.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 09:13 AM)
Yep. Remember the slam about how he slid into second, and the references to his worst guys who played for him?

Another reason was Carlos Lee would constantly bash on Damaso Marte if my memory serves right.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 02:52 PM)
Greg... for the record... well, look at the records. Ozzie is NOT doing well in Miami no matter what you might think.

All those star players and somehow they can't win... weird.

Baited the hook, here comes Greg in 5..... 4..... 3......2........1.....

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 03:01 PM)
Nice start for Buehrle today. 7.2 innings, 0 runs, 0 bb, 8 k.

8-8, 3.25 ERA at the break.

Leading his rotation in ERA WHIP WINS (Tied?) STONES.

Not pining for him, Sox did the right thing logically, realistically, and long term (hopefully).

Could Ozzie possibly have had a wake-up-call profesionally, have you noticed that he's actually grooming lately?

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 09:52 PM)
Greg... for the record... well, look at the records. Ozzie is NOT doing well in Miami no matter what you might think.

All those star players and somehow they can't win... weird.

Their closer has been a disaster. I think they will win in the 2nd half and be our opponent in the WS. We'll be destined to win and Oz will blow a gasket.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 10:01 PM)
Nice start for Buehrle today. 7.2 innings, 0 runs, 0 bb, 8 k.

8-8, 3.25 ERA at the break.

I LOVE Mark Buehrle.

Quintana is Buehrle-esque as well.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 05:07 PM)
Their closer has been a disaster. I think they will win in the 2nd half and be our opponent in the WS. We'll be destined to win and Oz will blow a gasket.

I LOVE Mark Buehrle.

Quintana is Buehrle-esque as well.

And $14 million a year cheaper.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 10:56 PM)
That's all you talk about when it comes to going to games.

22980507.jpg

But for real, I'd give the Marlins something like Floyd + A level prospect for Buerhle. Throw in Humber if you want. The Danks brothers if they want to throw in stuff and pay some oh Mark's obscenely backloaded contract.

At the start of Ozzie's managerial run with the Sox, he was a breath of fresh air and an asset. Toward the end he was an infected, puss-oozing, stinking wound on the franchise. He needed to go. He is no longer the Sox manager and I don't care what happens with Miami. Ozzie will be welcome when we have a 20 year reunion in 2025. Otherwise, stay away.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 03:42 PM)

Wow. What a story. No reason to watch the series after that writer gave all the highlights.

I liked this graph:

Ozzie is Ozzie as ever. He's what men in baseball call a "baseball man." He played the game. He's one of the guys. He's been around. He has that intangible dugout intuition. He speaks in the Spanglish mishmash that is the unofficial language of every fratty big league clubhouse. He's unfiltered and uncouth. He talks too loudly and too much about f***ing for a man who's nearly 50. His reputation is deserved.

And this end of the story is amazing. Ozzie met with Bell about his struggles.

Bell walked into Guillen's office and sat down. Guillen leaned back in his chair and propped his sandaled feet on the top of his desk.

"I kind of feel like that night I was being second-guessed, like there was no confidence in me," the closer said to the manager. "I went out there and after I gave up a hit I'll tell you I was like, 'Oh, s***, I hope they leave me in here.' And then I walked a guy and I went, 'Oh, crap, if I walk another guy, I'm out of this game.'

"It's just in my head," Bell said. "I've never really talked to you about pitching before. You know, I don't think it's a good thing or bad thing, but right now I feel like I need to talk to you so you know exactly what I'm thinking, exactly where I'm coming from."

Guillen said nothing.

"I feel like nobody's got my back here," Bell said.

"You're f***ing wrong," Guillen snapped.

"I'm just, I'm just — I'm speaking to you," Bell said.

"I'm speaking to you, too," Guillen said.

"Kid," the manager said to the 34-year-old, 6-foot-2, 250-pound closer, "you haven't thrown a breaking ball for a strike … "

Guillen thought for a beat.

"First month of the season," Bell admitted.

"Yes," Guillen said. "OK?"

"What do you want me to do?"

"Be my closer."

"Do you want me to go out there and shove it up their ass?" Bell asked.

Guillen looked at him like he was crazy. Like the answer was obvious.

WOW. What a perfect way to handle the prima donna Bell. Just listen to the man speak. Guillen didn't scream "Hell yes!" when Heath asked his stupid question at the end. He did what a TRUE BASEBALL MAN would do. Just look at Bell like he was nuts.

I still have no clue how some of you hate Ozzie Guillen. The man is fascinating!

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 02:16 PM)
Wow. What a story. No reason to watch the series after that writer gave all the highlights.

I liked this graph:

Ozzie is Ozzie as ever. He's what men in baseball call a "baseball man." He played the game. He's one of the guys. He's been around. He has that intangible dugout intuition. He speaks in the Spanglish mishmash that is the unofficial language of every fratty big league clubhouse. He's unfiltered and uncouth. He talks too loudly and too much about f***ing for a man who's nearly 50. His reputation is deserved.

And this end of the story is amazing. Ozzie met with Bell about his struggles.

Bell walked into Guillen's office and sat down. Guillen leaned back in his chair and propped his sandaled feet on the top of his desk.

"I kind of feel like that night I was being second-guessed, like there was no confidence in me," the closer said to the manager. "I went out there and after I gave up a hit I'll tell you I was like, 'Oh, s***, I hope they leave me in here.' And then I walked a guy and I went, 'Oh, crap, if I walk another guy, I'm out of this game.'

"It's just in my head," Bell said. "I've never really talked to you about pitching before. You know, I don't think it's a good thing or bad thing, but right now I feel like I need to talk to you so you know exactly what I'm thinking, exactly where I'm coming from."

Guillen said nothing.

"I feel like nobody's got my back here," Bell said.

"You're f***ing wrong," Guillen snapped.

"I'm just, I'm just — I'm speaking to you," Bell said.

"I'm speaking to you, too," Guillen said.

"Kid," the manager said to the 34-year-old, 6-foot-2, 250-pound closer, "you haven't thrown a breaking ball for a strike … "

Guillen thought for a beat.

"First month of the season," Bell admitted.

"Yes," Guillen said. "OK?"

"What do you want me to do?"

"Be my closer."

"Do you want me to go out there and shove it up their ass?" Bell asked.

Guillen looked at him like he was crazy. Like the answer was obvious.

WOW.

I still have no clue how some of you hate Ozzie Guillen. The man is fascinating!

How about watching some film? Or breaking down why his breaking ball isn't being thrown for strikes? Is it grip? Is it arm position? He is on the wrong spot on the rubber?

Nope, shove it up their ass.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 08:19 PM)
How about watching some film? Or breaking down why his breaking ball isn't being thrown for strikes? Is it grip? Is it arm position? He is on the wrong spot on the rubber?

Nope, shove it up their ass.

Read the article. Ozzie didn't say shove it up their ass! Bell did.

Ozzie looked at him like he was f***ing crazy. Ozzie is a pro. A true baseball man.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 08:21 PM)
It's amazing that greg can read that and be fascinated. That was a conversation of absolutely nothing.

Ozzie's silence was golden. The VETERAN closer was spouting bulls*** and Ozzie let him spout. It was fascinating IMO.