The Miami Marlins thread

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 11:33 AM)
On The Franchise last night, the Marlins Team President asked Ozzie about three times "are you sure you're not keeping Heath Bell as closer only due to him making 9 million a year?". Ozzie responded that wasn't the reason why he wanted him to be closer, as he felt the team was better with Bell as the closer and the 9 million dollar salary was the fault of the front office, and not him.

LOL

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 10:33 AM)
On The Franchise last night, the Marlins Team President asked Ozzie about three times "are you sure you're not keeping Heath Bell as closer only due to him making 9 million a year?". Ozzie responded that wasn't the reason why he wanted him to be closer, as he felt the team was better with Bell as the closer and the 9 million dollar salary was the fault of the front office, and not him.

He's already pitting himself against the FO - this will end well. :lolhitting

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 12:04 PM)
I always knew Mark was a cancer.

The thought actually occurred to me that he might be too happy go lucky for some clubhouses. But I have no idea what he is like on a losing team. Maybe he isn't all jokes and smiles.

QUOTE (MAX @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 06:12 PM)
The thought actually occurred to me that he might be too happy go lucky for some clubhouses. But I have no idea what he is like on a losing team. Maybe he isn't all jokes and smiles.

The didn't show him for a second in the clubhouse during the show.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 11:33 AM)

Seriously. I'm still dying of laughter from this.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 09:04 AM)
Um, Caulfield, I'm gonna stand up for Greg here. Idolizing Ozzie is one thing. Protecting him like the Penn State Paternites is different.

Thanks. If Ozzie or anybody did something like that I would want nothing to do with Ozzie/them anymore. I haven't read today's Paterno stuff yet, but if he knew about it and did nothing ... wow.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 01:42 PM)
Should we also leave Cowley alone?

I like Cowley.

And all of the Guillen children?

I don't care bout the Guillen kids.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 09:12 AM)
So in other words, nobody associated with the 2005 World Series team can be criticized in any way, shape or form?

What do you think happened with Francona in Boston last year? He won 2 World Series titles.

What if he did something like Paterno, won a national championship, but protected or excused Sandusky? Would you take down his statue? What would Ozzie have to do that you would consider indefensible or not part of his acceptable "entertaining Ozzie persona"?

By the way, as to the earlier point, is Oney, Ozzie Jr or Ozney included in that comment about having sex with him or just Ibis?

You can criticize Ozzie, but isn't it old news? Yes as far as Oz and Francona, managers wear out their welcome so to speak. Both had runs that had to end. Managers are hired to be fired. That's why poor Hal McRae is no longer a hero in KC and why Brett can never manage here. I don't know if Red Sox fans are bashing poor Francona now as you guys are bashing Ozzie. I do think there should be some respect from both fans bases for both guys. They brought their long suffering teams the gold. Or were in charge when they earned the gold.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 03:07 PM)
Here's a crazy idea, don't reply.

Something to consider.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 05:33 PM)

I don't understand this. How did he word these things? Did he blast the front office? And what was the team president's point? Who did he want to close?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 06:01 PM)
Bell has always been a big guy, but he's clearly out of shape. Jenks issue all over again, minus the alcohol.

That's wild. These big leaguers get the fat contracts and many of them immediately slack off and loaf. What a bizarre world baseball is compared to real life. They get the contracts and get fat.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 06:47 PM)
It's an amazing show. Better than Hard Knocks, in my opinion.

Do you agree it is unprecedented to show a conversation between a manager and his struggling closer behind closed doors? That is unprecedented access. Great stuff.

I don't understand this. How did he word these things? Did he blast the front office? And what was the team president's point? Who did he want to close?

Theoretically, Chisek.

Jose Reyes and Hanley Ramirez were deep in conversation near the edge of the infield grass when Washington Nationals rookie Bryce Harper caught the two chit-chatters by surprise. Seeing that no one was paying attention, Harper — who was standing on second — took off for third and had it stolen before anyone on the napping Marlins could react.

“Everybody’s head was down, and he took advantage of that,” said manager Ozzie Guillen.

It was the first inning of the first game in what is an important series for the Marlins against the first-place Nationals, and while Harper did not end up coming home to score after his heads-up play, it served as a microcosm of how this season is going for the two division rivals.

The alert Nationals on Friday raced out of the gate to start the second half with a 5-1 victory while the Marlins were churned further behind in their wake. The loss put the Marlins a season-high 10 games behind the Nationals in the N.L. East standings.

“It seemed [Friday night] like we took another All-Star break day,” Guillen said.

Given the mounting distance between the two teams in the standings, the Marlins can ill afford to drop the four-game series with Washington by losing either three — or, shudder, all four games. But now they must face All-Star hurlers Gio Gonzalez and Stephen Strasburg over the coming two days, further dimming their weekend prospects.

“We all know it’s a big series for us,” Guillen said. “Everybody knows. The players should know. For us, it’s a huge series.”

Once again, the Marlins’ lineup — rejiggered to account for the return of Emilio Bonifacio from the disabled list — was largely lifeless against Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann. Ramirez, dropped to the fifth spot in the order for the first time in his career, singled to lead off the second but gambled unwisely in trying to stretch it into a double and was thrown out easily at second.

“Today we were flat,” Guillen said. “When you don’t score any runs, you’re going to look flat.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/07/14/2895...l#storylink=cpy

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 05:38 AM)
Jose Reyes and Hanley Ramirez were deep in conversation near the edge of the infield grass when Washington Nationals rookie Bryce Harper caught the two chit-chatters by surprise. Seeing that no one was paying attention, Harper — who was standing on second — took off for third and had it stolen before anyone on the napping Marlins could react.

“Everybody’s head was down, and he took advantage of that,” said manager Ozzie Guillen.

It was the first inning of the first game in what is an important series for the Marlins against the first-place Nationals, and while Harper did not end up coming home to score after his heads-up play, it served as a microcosm of how this season is going for the two division rivals.

The alert Nationals on Friday raced out of the gate to start the second half with a 5-1 victory while the Marlins were churned further behind in their wake. The loss put the Marlins a season-high 10 games behind the Nationals in the N.L. East standings.

“It seemed [Friday night] like we took another All-Star break day,” Guillen said.

Given the mounting distance between the two teams in the standings, the Marlins can ill afford to drop the four-game series with Washington by losing either three — or, shudder, all four games. But now they must face All-Star hurlers Gio Gonzalez and Stephen Strasburg over the coming two days, further dimming their weekend prospects.

“We all know it’s a big series for us,” Guillen said. “Everybody knows. The players should know. For us, it’s a huge series.”

Once again, the Marlins’ lineup — rejiggered to account for the return of Emilio Bonifacio from the disabled list — was largely lifeless against Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann. Ramirez, dropped to the fifth spot in the order for the first time in his career, singled to lead off the second but gambled unwisely in trying to stretch it into a double and was thrown out easily at second.

“Today we were flat,” Guillen said. “When you don’t score any runs, you’re going to look flat.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/07/14/2895...l#storylink=cpy

shows how ozzies act has grown old and players dont care for him

Up until this year, I really thought Ozzie was a good mgr for handling pitching staffs, and run prevention (defensive emphasis) in general.

Now, what I'm thinking is: Ozzie - Coop = 0

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

Mark Buehrle, one of my top three favorite Sox of all time, is ON FIRE.

4-0 in last four starts with some miniscule ERA.

He would be looking mighty good in the White Sox rotation right now!

He is durable and a competitor. I love the guy!

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 09:35 PM)
Mark Buehrle, one of my top three favorite Sox of all time, is ON FIRE.

4-0 in last four starts with some miniscule ERA.

He would be looking mighty good in the White Sox rotation right now!

He is durable and a competitor. I love the guy!

I miss Mark. If only he didn't make so much his last two years.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 15, 2012 -> 01:21 PM)
I miss Mark. If only he didn't make so much his last two years.

It's amazing to me because of how valuable he is to a staff, Mark is worth the extra 4 or 5 million a year. Can you imagine if the Royals would have paid for Buehrle? He is JUST what they need. The Sox need Mark desperately as well. It's crazy how teams pick and choose who/what they will pay.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 15, 2012 -> 01:41 PM)
It's amazing to me because of how valuable he is to a staff, Mark is worth the extra 4 or 5 million a year. Can you imagine if the Royals would have paid for Buehrle? He is JUST what they need. The Sox need Mark desperately as well. It's crazy how teams pick and choose who/what they will pay.

I love Buehrle and all (I wore a Buehrle or Konerko shirt under my jersey every game of baseball seniot year), but he's not a $19M starter. Few guys are.

QUOTE (soxmaniac! @ Jul 15, 2012 -> 01:57 PM)
Benedict Buehrle is a perfect fit for the NL. His numbers are way up, and his velocity will only go even lower from here on out.

Your nicknames suck. You should probably stop, because this is your worst.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 15, 2012 -> 04:57 PM)
Countdown....24 hours until Ozzie arrives back in ChiTown.

No question about what questions he'll get asked, the only puzzle is how well he'll do NOT addressing them or putting his foot in his mouth again.

I'm sure Loria is going to enjoy this week. Not.

This could be fun. :drink

Edited by Stan Bahnsen