Farmer is Awful

Marty34

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ May 3, 2012 -> 09:23 PM)
I always get the feeling that DJ is just messing with Farmer because he finds him as boring as I do.

Agreed. Farmer is easily the worst baseball radio guy I've ever heard in my 38 years.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 4, 2012 -> 12:23 AM)
I've been listening to MLB games via Gameday audio for the last couple of weeks and I forgot how good baseball is on radio. I forgot because Ed Farmer is brutal. He's not a radio guy, he can't paint a picture. I've found the best radio broadcasts consist of one broadcaster at a time and don't do the give and take that Farmer and DJ do. DJ is at least tolerable, but probably better suited for TV. I wish the Sox had a radio broadcaster calling their games instead of Farmer.

Why the Farmer hate? I think he's OK.

You should hear the Royals' hacks. They have one good announcer and they reduced his workload 90 games this year.

QUOTE (MAX @ May 3, 2012 -> 11:56 PM)
I love listening to both Ed and DJ together and do so frequently.

I certainly don't hate them. I think Farmer is a bit dry but I listen every single night because I don't have cable.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 3, 2012 -> 11:49 PM)
Why the Farmer hate? I think he's OK.

You should hear the Royals' hacks. They have one good announcer and they reduced his workload 90 games this year.

Like when they say Angels instead of Royals, lol.

Levebvre's okay, and so is Denny Mathews, albeit a bit cranky at times..

Bob Davis, so-so.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ May 3, 2012 -> 11:59 PM)
I certainly don't hate them. I think Farmer is a bit dry but I listen every single night because I don't have cable.

He is no where near as dry as hawk or stone. You aren't missing much without cable. I am thinking of getting rid of mine again.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ May 3, 2012 -> 10:23 PM)
I've never seen anyone hate DJ with such a passion. I always get the feeling that DJ is just messing with Farmer because he finds him as boring as I do.

I don't mind DJ, but there are times that Farmer says something that sails miles above his head. Completely oblivious. This is the third year he's in that booth, so he should know what's going on. Chris Singleton caught on to it by the end of his first year and was starting to mesh well before he left, and Stone knew Farmer's ways from the start. That was the best pairing post-Rooney.

I'm just wondering what else we can find to complain about.

"I don't like the angle at which Robin wears his hat."

"Don Cooper's accent is terrible."

"Adam Dunn needs to chew less gum."

"De Aza's face is too round."

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 4, 2012 -> 07:59 AM)
Robin wears his hat too low on his head and doesn't bend the bill enough. And he's boring, like Joe C's twitter account now.

Fire KW!

Yeah! How about a facial expression or two!? I yawn every time I see him.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ May 4, 2012 -> 07:58 AM)
I'm just wondering what else we can find to complain about.

"I don't like the angle at which Robin wears his hat."

"Don Cooper's accent is terrible."

"Adam Dunn needs to chew less gum."

"De Aza's face is too round."

Don't give him ideas.

I've been listening to MLB games via Gameday audio for the last couple of weeks and I forgot how good baseball is on radio. I forgot because Ed Farmer is brutal. He's not a radio guy, he can't paint a picture. I've found the best radio broadcasts consist of one broadcaster at a time and don't do the give and take that Farmer and DJ do. DJ is at least tolerable, but probably better suited for TV. I wish the Sox had a radio broadcaster calling their games instead of Farmer.

The problem isn't that Farmer isn't suited for radio. The problem is that Farmer is suited for analysis and not play-by-play.

I'm guessing that analysts are cheaper than professional broadcasters, because the Sox have opted to employ four analysts and have two of them doing PBP.

PBP and analysis are two different roles, but since ditching John Rooney, the Sox have treated them like they're exactly the same.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 3, 2012 -> 07:23 PM)

See, I have the almost exact opposite feeling. i think he's tolerable, but is held back in many ways by a VERY annoying DJ. No, he's not a naturally play-by-play guy, but when you are teamed with a goofball DJ, there isnt much you can do.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 4, 2012 -> 11:01 AM)
See, I have the almost exact opposite feeling. i think he's tolerable, but is held back in many ways by a VERY annoying DJ. No, he's not a naturally play-by-play guy, but when you are teamed with a goofball DJ, there isnt much you can do.

It really is an odd pairing. It gets super uncomfortable at some times in there. Some days I honestly feel like they either hate each other, or they are the best of friends and no one gets their insider jokes.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ May 4, 2012 -> 12:55 PM)
Here is the single most important reason why farmer is not a good radio broadcaster- I cannot get a score to save my life within 10 minutes of flipping on the radio, at times.

Rule #1 of broadcasting. You cannot read the scoreboard enough during a broadcast. (score, time, game situation etc)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 4, 2012 -> 06:56 PM)
Rule #1 of broadcasting. You cannot read the scoreboard enough during a broadcast. (score, time, game situation etc)

It's funny how all broadcasters say that is the No. 1 rule and realize that and yet the ones I listen to rarely give the score except to start an inning and end the inning.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ May 3, 2012 -> 10:38 PM)
Well, those of us who grew up in a time when Eddie Einhorn was ahead of his time with sports on cable learned the game by listening on radio. I got to the point where I really preferred listening to games on radio and getting other things done rather than watching on TV. So, if you love baseball on radio and hate Farmer as your PBP man, it really makes the season less enjoyable. Rooney made for a very enjoyable and productive Saturday afternoon.

I get that, but on Gameday audio you have the option to listen to the either team's broadcast.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 4, 2012 -> 01:48 AM)
I liked him as a color guy with Rooney. Not play by play. Tries too hard to be "quippish"
I agree completely. They were a good team and in fact were rated either #1 or 2 radio team in Rooney's last year. Farmer is not a PBP guy and shame on the Sox for letting Rooney go. Yeah I know I'm going to hear it about the stations hiring the announcers, but the Sox could have advocated for Rooney if they'd wanted to.