Sox sign Orlando Hudson

flavum

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 21, 2012 -> 10:12 AM)
Fukodome would probably be hitting .300 in Charlotte. Dan Johnson HAS NOT HIT OVER .200 IN THE MAJOR LEAGUES SINCE 2007. If you think he'll be better than Fukudome, you are kidding yourself.

One of the things that has really changed from Ozzie to Robin is that Ventura does not use his bench nearly as much as Ozzie did. I think the bench guys are really suffering for it.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 21, 2012 -> 10:47 AM)
<!--quoteo(post=2604400:date=May 21, 2012 -> 11:44 AM:name=chw42)-->
QUOTE (chw42 @ May 21, 2012 -> 11:44 AM)
<!--quotec-->Wasn't there a video of two kids ghost riding for Dan Johnson or some s***? lol

I don't know how I've never seen that video, but it's f***ing hilarious. Awesome.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 21, 2012 -> 12:37 PM)
One of the things that has really changed from Ozzie to Robin is that Ventura does not use his bench nearly as much as Ozzie did. I think the bench guys are really suffering for it.

The bench players play about as much as they should. Ozzie played the bench way too much. There's a reason we all came to know Ozzie's sunday lineup where the Sox literally rolled over for about 10 losses per year because the bench guys needed to stay fresh.

I like that our guys get to get into a groove and play everyday and not sit out every 3 or 4 games.

QUOTE (Special K @ May 21, 2012 -> 09:02 PM)
The bench players play about as much as they should. Ozzie played the bench way too much. There's a reason we all came to know Ozzie's sunday lineup where the Sox literally rolled over for about 10 losses per year because the bench guys needed to stay fresh.

I like that our guys get to get into a groove and play everyday and not sit out every 3 or 4 games.

Except Juan Pierre, who got to start 154 games. Awesome!

I'm with you, I don't want to see our bench players play that much more, particularly since what we really need is the emergence of our youngsters. No reason to find ABs for Fukudome unless he earns it. None of our bench players have earned anything, except Eduardo Escobar earned playing time by not being Brent Morel.

I like this signing. You get a former all-star, .800 OPS type player in a position of need that is not far removed from some pretty productive seasons. Was a >1 WAR player last year, even.

If he doesn't produce, can't field, is an asshole, etc. you have spent and committed nothing. You can cut him in a couple weeks and pretend you were just looking for a stop-gap while Brent Morel was healing.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 21, 2012 -> 05:37 PM)

I think this is true. You have to play those guys and get them in the field and at bat to keep sharp

2005, the timing for bench time play was almost perfect.

All those guys like Timo Perez, Willie Harris, Ozuna, Blum, and Widger all got 99 at-bats at least.

Ozuna and Perez were around 200, Harris and Widger in the 150 range, and Blum had 99. (Then there was Frank Thomas and Gload, too).

But all those guys were pretty productive (compared to the results we're seeing this year), and even Blum was able to come through in the World Series.

That said, playing Lillibridge every day isn't really warranted...unless he's playing 5-6 times per week, there's just no way he's going to get into any kind of offensive rhythm with that big bat and swing of his. But he's very versatile and can play all over the diamond and pinch run as well as anyone in the league, so he's still a very valuable asset and weapon off the bench.

Flowers obviously has a lot of pop in his bat, and his defense is much improved compared to 3 seasons ago.

Fukudome and Escobar are clearly the weaknesses so far, and one of those was expected/predictable coming in...and perhaps Fukudome is proving once again that he's not a very effective player off the bench with sporadic playing time.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ May 22, 2012 -> 03:04 AM)
FrodoBridge is case and point. His timing at the plate is awful right now.

Lillibridge is on pace to get about 20 less AB than he received last year. He hit some homers last year at a pace he's not ever hit them. I think it was more of a fluke than anything else.

Josh Fields is hitting over .300 in AAA. Maybe KW should pick him up, since guys who can't field and haven't hit in the majors in several years but have hit well in AAA seems to be a popular thing.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 22, 2012 -> 04:56 AM)
Lillibridge is on pace to get about 20 less AB than he received last year. He hit some homers last year at a pace he's not ever hit them. I think it was more of a fluke than anything else.

Josh Fields is hitting over .300 in AAA. Maybe KW should pick him up, since guys who can't field and haven't hit in the majors in several years but have hit well in AAA seems to be a popular thing.

Where is Josh Fields playing?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 22, 2012 -> 10:34 AM)
SO THE BIG QUESTION IS DOES F*CK YOU DO ME GIVE O-DAWG THE #1?

Probably not.

I'm betting Hudson will be wearing 13. He's worn 1, 13, and 30 before. 1 and 30 are already taken.

Edited by chw42

Funny Josh Fields story....

I'm in New Orleans for work right now and I took in a minor league game. It was Zephyrs vs. Isotopes, Josh Fields is starting at first. He got a few hits, but looked mediocre like he does. I'm sitting next to at least 6-7 scouts. Josh is at the plate and skies a pop up to short. Suddenly he just starts busting ass around first, before he even gets to second the short stop has caught the ball, but Josh digs hard to second and keeps on chugging to third before finally walking back to the dug out. Every scout is in tears laughing at him. None of them know what to think. Some saying "What the hell is he doing?" and "I have never seen that before"

What an ass.