Will the Royals ever be good?

kitekrazy

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 11:41 AM)
Thank you. Pittsburgh may have a good record right now, but it's not going to last, as their offense is incredibly bad. Also, they have two starters in Burnett and Bedard that aren't long-term solutions. Everyone likes how they're building that organization, but let's not give them too much props just yet.

One other thing people need to realize is that teams like KC and Pittsburgh have spent big on the draft to quicken their rebuilding efforts, but a good chunk of these over-slot players are Boras clients. So they'll have these guys for six years and then they're likely off to the highest bidders. IMO, the Royals are in big trouble, because by the time they develop a half-way decent pitching staff, a bunch of their position players will be gone.

What does that matter? Not everyone on your team is going to be long-term, hell we are losing Peavy/Youk next season most likely but that doesn't change what they are doing for us this season. You build from within the organization and take chances on guys like Burnett/Bedard to help get you where you need to be.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm one of those guys at always thinks the Royals will have a break out year.....well at least the last couple years. It'd be nice for him to be good again, they have good fans that are long overdue for some success. But a lot of times you have to spend money to creat success. And spending all that money for Gil Meche wasn't the right thing to do.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 12:36 PM)
What does that matter? Not everyone on your team is going to be long-term, hell we are losing Peavy/Youk next season most likely but that doesn't change what they are doing for us this season. You build from within the organization and take chances on guys like Burnett/Bedard to help get you where you need to be.

Because I'm talking about the long-term outlook of the franchise and that right there is 2/5 of a rotation to fill and we're not talking about stiffs. Balta made a comment as if the Pirates have finally broken through and that's just not true. The only reason the Pirates have been good this year is because of their pitching and they'll have to replace those two guys fairly soon or commit big dollars to them that will prevent them from doing other things. Plus their offense is garbage outside of one player. I just don't think they have a great major league core to build around yet. Not sure what you're even arguing here.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 05:18 PM)
Because I'm talking about the long-term outlook of the franchise and that right there is 2/5 of a rotation to fill and we're not talking about stiffs. Balta made a comment as if the Pirates have finally broken through and that's just not true. The only reason the Pirates have been good this year is because of their pitching and they'll have to replace those two guys fairly soon or commit big dollars to them that will prevent them from doing other things. Plus their offense is garbage outside of one player. I just don't think they have a great major league core to build around yet. Not sure what you're even arguing here.

I wouldn't feel like a team needs a multi-year run like the Rays to have "broken through" or become good of however we're going to say it. Pirates are right in the thick of things this year, 11 games above .500, leading the NL Central at the break with a better record than the White Sox.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 04:23 PM)
I wouldn't feel like a team needs a multi-year run like the Rays to have "broken through" or become good of however we're going to say it. Pirates are right in the thick of things this year, 11 games above .500, leading the NL Central at the break with a better record than the White Sox.

Good for them. I'm actually cheering for them to win the division. I just don't think it's going to happen. Also, I hope you realize the Sox are much, much better team than the Pirates. I could care less what the records say.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 04:37 PM)
Good for them. I'm actually cheering for them to win the division. I just don't think it's going to happen. Also, I hope you realize the Sox are much, much better team than the Pirates. I could care less what the records say.

Going into today the Sox and Pirates were tied. Not that it matter too much I guess.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 03:23 PM)

That gets you a whole lot of nothing.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 10:00 AM)
Who would u cheer for if the Royals played the Marlins?

Nobody; I wouldn't go to that game.

What if Buehrle was pitching for the Royals against Ozzie?

Would never happen; KC is too cheap to pick up a high paid pitcher.

Kauffman is a great stadium, tho. looked great today at the Futures game.

As far as signing Meche, it was a "shot across the bow" that Glass and family were willing to spend big money to improve the team AND that Kansas City was an attractive free agency destination...unlike, say, Cleveland.

Look at it as an investment in the future. And Meche at least did the honorable thing by retiring instead of collecting $11 million or whatever it was his final season.

The one thing about the Rays which is most amazing (besides their use of statistics and shifts) has been how in God's name they've been able to get such consistent performances from that bullpen...which has changed names more than Hugh Hefner changes girlfriend and fiances but has still continued to produce Top 3-5 results in all of baseball on a yearly basis, seemingly.

I see David Glass walked out on a 610 radio interview yesterday after the questions turned to him possibly selling the team and asking him about spending money.

The natives are really getting restless here.

People think of the Midwest as friendly.

Tonight the 40,000 at Kauffman Stadium booed Matt Cassel in the celebrity softball game heavily; the Missouri fans there rained boos on Bill Self and even former Royal Mike Sweeney got booed.

I mean that is acting like Red Sox fans. Wow!

Tonight at the Home Run Derby, Cano will be booed and jeered heavily for not picking Butler to compete.

KC is the laughingstock of baseball the past 20 years and people here are really pissed.

I mean booing Self and Cassel was embarrassing. And booing Sweeney? My god. What did he ever do???

I think they draft poorly and develop talent even more poorly. Add it up and it equals perennial last place finishes. They could have drafted guys like Longoria, Weiters and Braun but didn't. I'm older than you guys and when I was a kid the Sox were always looking up at KC in the standings, so I say f*** them, stay in the cellar.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 02:37 AM)
I see David Glass walked out on a 610 radio interview yesterday after the questions turned to him possibly selling the team and asking him about spending money.

Tonight the 40,000 at Kauffman Stadium booed Matt Cassel in the celebrity softball game heavily; the Missouri fans there rained boos on Bill Self and even former Royal Mike Sweeney got booed.

Tonight at the Home Run Derby, Cano will be booed and jeered heavily for not picking Butler to compete.

KC is the laughingstock of baseball the past 20 years and people here are really pissed.

I mean booing Self and Cassel was embarrassing. And booing Sweeney? My god. What did he ever do???

What in the world is wrong with Mizzou fans booing Bill Self? It's the biggest rivalry in the area. I'm sure a Mizzou coach would be booed by some Kansas fans too. And an NFL quarterback that makes big money and sucks will get booed in any town.

Why they would boo Sweeney I have no idea.

The bad-news story circulating nationally during the All-Star Game

feel-good week involves Frank White and the Royals.

A primer: The Royals' best-ever second baseman quit his job as a

community relations person after a pay cut a few years ago, Then he

was basically fired as a broadcast analyst.

The national media are paying attention, because White infamously has

said he won't step foot inside Kauffman Stadium during the All-Star

festivities.

In a column in today's USA Today, White really brings his criticism of

the Royals.

"I'm done with the Royals. I just can't do it." And this: "I called my

wife (Teresa) into the bathroom and told her, 'I can't take their crap

anymore. I have to get away. If we have to sell everything we got,

we've got to leave here, because I can't put up with these people.'

Royals general manager Dayton Moore said he basically didn't

understand why White felt the way he did, but also said everyone needs

to move in the same direction in the organization.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/07/09/36969...r#storylink=cpy

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 06:41 PM)
What in the world is wrong with Mizzou fans booing Bill Self? It's the biggest rivalry in the area. I'm sure a Mizzou coach would be booed by some Kansas fans too. And an NFL quarterback that makes big money and sucks will get booed in any town.

Why they would boo Sweeney I have no idea.

You had to be there. It was a shake your head, what the f*** is going on here atmosphere. They booed Self unmercifully each time at bat. It was stupid and out of place at an event like that. And the booing of Cassel was sickening. Again, just the mention of "Kansas City" should have brought out polite cheers.

I blame it on the Internet age. Everybody hates everybody. It was ridiculous booing of the local people involved in the game. And booing Sweeney? WTF?

These people are f***ing insane out here. They hate everybody.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 01:11 PM)
You had to be there. It was a shake your head, what the f*** is going on here atmosphere. They booed Self unmercifully each time at bat. It was stupid and out of place at an event like that. And the booing of Cassel was sickening. Again, just the mention of "Kansas City" should have brought out polite cheers.

I blame it on the Internet age. Everybody hates everybody. It was ridiculous booing of the local people involved in the game. And booing Sweeney? WTF?

Booing does not = hate.

Greg, what do you expect on the Missouri side of the fence with Self?

License plates for State of MO residents with Coach Self's image on them to help cut the budget shortfall?

Cassell just had a really bad season for the Chiefs, showing that the patience of even the best fans is getting tested with that long and inconsistent rebuilding project. You can bet if the former coach of the Chiefs was playing, the boos would have been 10X louder....just be thankful you don't have to hear Ozzie getting booed until the Marlins play at USCF next year.

Sweeney doesn't make ANY sense. Maybe it's frustration that he had so many injuries and kind of just faded out of existence. For 3-4 years there, he was Mr. KC Royals...especially after Damon/Dye/Beltran/Randa left and the only hope for the franchise was Greinke getting his act straightened out.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 11:41 AM)
One other thing people need to realize is that teams like KC and Pittsburgh have spent big on the draft to quicken their rebuilding efforts, but a good chunk of these over-slot players are Boras clients. So they'll have these guys for six years and then they're likely off to the highest bidders. IMO, the Royals are in big trouble, because by the time they develop a half-way decent pitching staff, a bunch of their position players will be gone.

They've got a few pieces under team control for a while...

Butler thru 2015

Gordon thru 2016

Crow thru 2016

Holland thru 2016

Collins thru 2016

Escobar thru 2017

Perez thru 2017

Hosmer thru 2017

Moustakas thru 2018

Cain thru 2018

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 03:59 PM)
I'm one of those guys at always thinks the Royals will have a break out year.....well at least the last couple years. It'd be nice for him to be good again, they have good fans that are long overdue for some success. But a lot of times you have to spend money to creat success. And spending all that money for Gil Meche wasn't the right thing to do.

That was the most frustrating thing about this off-season. We've finally got a legit core of players, and a hell of a bullpen, but everybody knew the rotation was a joke IF everybody stayed healthy. The FO will go out and give Gil Meche 5-years/$55m or Jose Guillen 3-years/$36m when the team was nowhere near competing, but now they are actually close and wouldn't spend to upgrade the rotation. Pisses me off.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 02:37 AM)

Matt Cassel is a joke. He gets booed at Chiefs games right next door, so why wouldn't he at a Royals event?

I'm a born and raised Jayhawk, but I understand the Mizzou fans booing Self. If a Mizzou coach were ever good enough to be selected to such an event, I'd boo him, and I expect a lot of people around here would.

Keep in mind that the crowd isn't a majority of Royals' fans. A lot of Cardinal fans live in/near Kansas City.

The Royals are Kansas' team, but with the stadium being located in Missouri, its hard to keep the trash out.

I'm kind of surprised that Sweeney got booed that badly. Most people around here think he's a saint. I think he's a joke. He's always quick to point out that he never used steroids, but I think he's full of s***. As soon as he got good, he was hurt all the time.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 01:19 PM)
I think they draft poorly and develop talent even more poorly. Add it up and it equals perennial last place finishes. They could have drafted guys like Longoria, Weiters and Braun but didn't. I'm older than you guys and when I was a kid the Sox were always looking up at KC in the standings, so I say f*** them, stay in the cellar.

Before Dayton Moore took over in 2006, we did draft and develop poorly. Since then things have changed a bit...

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 02:05 PM)
The bad-news story circulating nationally during the All-Star Game

feel-good week involves Frank White and the Royals.

If Dayton really said he didn't know why Frank was upset, then he's a complete liar. Frank was booted for being critical of Royals players and coaches on their broadcasts. Only the Royals did it the chickens*** way, they had Fox Sports hire somebody else, Rex Hudler. Neither the Royals or Fox Sports ever even told Frank his contract wasn't being renewed. Frank's calls were not being answered or returned. It's ridiculous that a hometown hero is being treated the way he is by the Royals.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 02:11 PM)

No.

QUOTE (Carter224 @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 07:04 PM)
What a pathetic crowd in Kansas City, but thats not suprising either..

Yeah, we're the worst.

High mileage said: I'm kind of surprised that Sweeney got booed that badly. Most people around here think he's a saint. I think he's a joke. He's always quick to point out that he never used steroids, but I think he's full of s***. As soon as he got good, he was hurt all the time.

I don't know about that. He doesn't seem like the type of guy to do the steroid thing.

QUOTE (High Mileage @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 10:10 PM)
I'm a born and raised Jayhawk, but I understand the Mizzou fans booing Self. If a Mizzou coach were ever good enough to be selected to such an event, I'd boo him, and I expect a lot of people around here would.

BURN!

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 02:11 PM)

Probably because

1) Self is a dick

2) It was ultimately his decision to end the Border Showdown. Mizzou wanted to continue it, he didn't.

And for reference, I've always hated Self, before I went to Mizzou.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 07:43 AM)
BURN!

Eh, at least we're competitive in sports other than basketball.

While I love my friends on KU's Quidditch team, it never ceases to amaze me that they sold $10,000 worth of Kansas Quidditch shirts last year. They said because on campus that after basketball, there's no real sport to root for.

I wonder what would have happened had Mike Anderson or Haith been there at the event and been booed?

Would the fans have been accused of being racist? Or just hating Mizzou, the 50% of fans who go across the state line on I-435 from Johnson County (KS) to attend games?

Self is a dick, if you're a fan of another team, just like AJ is, or John Calipari, or 50% of the golfers on the PGA tour.

But, trying to think of a similar situation, I don't think I'd boo Bruce Weber or Bo Ryan ever as an Iowa fan. Maybe Lou Henson/Jimmy Collins, lol.

So it's 50% the rivalry, 50% being a dick. Need both to qualify for a full boo.