Why I am optimistic on September 24

cabiness42

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Sep 24, 2012 -> 06:25 PM)
We are basically in a 7 game series with the Cleveland indians. But we have to win 5 games instead of 4. And if we don't win 5, Detroit goes to the playoffs.

Is anyone here really confident we will win more than 1 game against Tampa? If we win 5 of 7 vs the indians, we go 6-4 and make detroit go 7-3 to tie us. Then we are in the playoffs technically, and if we can't beat Detroit in a one game playoff, well they earned it.

I don't think Detroit wins 7 of 10. I give them 6-4 at best.

What I really think will happen is we will go 5-5, so will Detroit, and we will get in with the 1 game lead. It wouldn't be pretty, but history doesn't care about pretty. Ask the St. Louis Cardinals. Twice.

there are only 6 games against the indians total. 4 against the rays.

QUOTE (Cali @ Sep 25, 2012 -> 11:43 PM)
Anyone else wanna just wake up in 8 days and see what happens instead of watching all eight games?

(In this scenario all eight games are on the DVR to watch later)

I wish i can just tune out all the games. I have too much work at school, but I keep checking the score, even though I don't want to.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 12:00 AM)
Konerko, if ever we needed you, it's now.

He did homer to lead off the ninth. But yeah, that would have been nice in the first inning.

This team just hasn't been able to set the pace at all offensively. Once you put up a nice crooked number up in the first, it eases everyone on the team.

Yeah, I almost don't want to watch the games. Too much stress. This team has looked pretty flat for over a week now. If Detroit had played even marginally better baseball, they'd be in first by 2 or 3 games. One of these teams will need to step it up starting today. The Sox need to win convincingly tonight and then continue the momentum into the Rays series.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 05:45 AM)
For the record, it is now September 26 and I am no longer optimistic. Two days in a row the offense was blanked in the first four innings at home by pitchers who are mediocre at best. These hitters are wasting a POTENTIALLYtremendous bullpen.

Keep in mind, we're still tied for 8th in the majors with 19 blown saves.

Only the Angels (22) and the Red Sox have more in the AL.

Edited by caulfield12

OK, I should have said wasting was has been a tremendous bullpen recently. Although blown saves as a stat is worthless for anybody except the closer. If a bullpen enters a game with a 3-2 lead in the 5th inning with the bases loaded and one out, gives up a sac fly that ties the game, and then retires every hitter the rest of the game, that's a tremendous game by a bullpen that still gets tagged with a blown save.

Edited by HickoryHuskers

Not sure I've stated it here yet, but this is something I've been expressing to my friends...

I think we may have needed to give this lead up in order to get this thing back on track.

There is a psychological difference between barely holding on to something, but having the inevitable feeling you're going to lose it, versus losing something and realizing you've now got nothing to lose.

Hopefully they can clear their heads and move forward. Maybe they'll be loose now and play like they are capable.

It's been their pattern all year long.

Let's do this s***.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 07:21 AM)
Keep in mind, we're still tied for 8th in the majors with 19 blown saves.

Only the Angels (22) and the Red Sox have more in the AL.

All that really means is that these teams struggled to find someone to close early in the season.

For example, here are the Sox blown saves by pitcher:

Matt Thornton 4

Jessie Crain 4

Addison Reed 4

Will Ohman 2

Hector Santiago 2

Chris Sale 1

One thing that I am optimistic about is the bullpen. Veal and Jones have been great surprises this year. And I have a feeling that the White Sox are moving Quintana to the pen for the rest of the year. They know that he has pitched a lot but still could be effective to get a few batters out.

If we just start hitting with RISP, then we will be golden. We are going to hit hrs just need to manufacture a few runs as well. Seems like forever since somebody just hit a single to drive in a runner from 2nd. And our clutch hitting was pretty good until recently.

QUOTE (scenario @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 09:24 AM)
All that really means is that these teams struggled to find someone to close early in the season.

For example, here are the Sox blown saves by pitcher:

Matt Thornton 4

Jessie Crain 4

Addison Reed 4

Will Ohman 2

Hector Santiago 2

Chris Sale 1

Missing 2, pretty sure one was Myers against McLouth/Orioles.