White Sox Re-Sign Jake Peavy

SOXOBAMA

This is pretty shocking to me. I just didn't see him taking less money. Look's like Peavy is a man of his word. I wouldn't have made the deal. I think it's a little much for Peavy, but I don't give a s***. I don't pay the bills. I'm happy to have him.

Obviously, we're not rebuilding.

IMO, this says a lot about whether we're bringing AJ back or not.

Please no Youk. The guy's just broken down. If anything, get a 3rd baseman who can pick it and be versatile offensively. I don't care if he doesn't hit homers as long as he's a good hitter that can run the bases. A lefty would be nice.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 09:34 PM)
This is pretty shocking to me. I just didn't see him taking less money. Look's like Peavy is a man of his word. I wouldn't have made the deal. I think it's a little much for Peavy, but I don't give a s***. I don't pay the bills. I'm happy to have him.

Obviously, we're not rebuilding.

IMO, this says a lot about whether we're bringing AJ back or not.

Please no Youk. The guy's just broken down. If anything, get a 3rd baseman who can pick it and be versatile offensively. I don't care if he doesn't hit homers as long as he's a good hitter that can run the bases. A lefty would be nice.

Peavy fought to stay in San Diego even when they were selling everything in sight. He doesn't care about winning, or money, he cares about being somewhere he is happy. This contract was fully expected, and not a surprise at all.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 09:50 PM)
Peavy fought to stay in San Diego even when they were selling everything in sight. He doesn't care about winning, or money, he cares about being somewhere he is happy. This contract was fully expected, and not a surprise at all.

Yup, he strikes me as a guy that doesn't like 'change' too much. He was saying for a while now how he'd love to stay in Chicago.

Yep, the dollars are there to show him the respect he deserves. As long as he doesn't walk away looking like our b**** (or pissing off the MLBPA), he seems happy to do what he can to stay in Chicago.

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 10:09 PM)
Sale-Peavy-Danks-Floyd-Q

Dirty. Just dirty. Santiago-Axelrod not bad as depth, either.

I hope it is nasty. s*** happens like this past year where Danks was hurt and Floyd was out a bit as well and Q was crummy late in the season.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 11:39 PM)
Yeah, this was the least surprising move of the off season to me. Not that there was a lot of doubt in my mind, but this officially means good-bye to Liriano.

Thank God. Bye bye Liriano.

Good news, not quite great, because you wonder about all the wear and tear that Robin and Cooper put him through, sometimes needlessly.

On the other hand, it does afford us the luxury of packaging some guys like Quintana/Santiago (one of the two, probably), Thornton, Crain, Reed (possibly) to see what we can get back for 3B and possibly catcher.

The biggest question marks are:

1) Does DeAza go back to CF? 90% chance, unless another starter is traded, like Rios, for a new CFer.

2) Who's the closer? 90% chance it's Reed, at least to start out.

3) AJ, Tyler or a new catcher not on the radar screen?

4) 3B

Good news, not quite great, because you wonder about all the wear and tear that Robin and Cooper put him through, sometimes needlessly.

On the other hand, it does afford us the luxury of packaging some guys like Quintana/Santiago (one of the two, probably), Thornton, Crain, Reed (possibly) to see what we can get back for 3B and possibly catcher.

The biggest question marks are:

1) Does DeAza go back to CF? 90% chance, unless another starter is traded, like Rios, for a new CFer.

2) Who's the closer? 90% chance it's Reed, at least to start out.

3) AJ, Tyler or a new catcher not on the radar screen?

4) 3B

I don't see the Sox adding a player that is better in CF than De Aza, I'm thinking that Reed is still the closer, and I'd bet money that the starting catcher is either AJ or Flowers. 3B is the biggest mystery right now.

http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-chicago...tm_medium=email

DAN HAYES

The White Sox always wanted to retain Jake Peavy and it only made more sense as the market for free agent pitchers began to take shape. When Peavy showed a strong desire to return, a potential pact became more logical.

Compared with the extended, lucrative deals needed to land Zack Greinke, Anibal Sanchez or Kyle Lohse this offseason, the two-year, $29 million contract Peavy signed on Tuesday afternoon, just days before he became a free agent, falls directly in line with what the White Sox wanted.

While the club paid a premium price for Peavy’s next two seasons -- he’ll make $14.5 million in each and could receive $15 million in 2015 -- they didn’t have to overpay to bring in a quality pitcher.

Less than two years after he had potentially career-ending surgery, Peavy showed the White Sox he has plenty left in 2012. The right-hander was 11-12 with a 3.37 ERA in a team-high 219 innings over 32 starts last season and struck out 194 batters.

“The length was absolutely key for us,” White Sox general manager Rick Hahn said on a conference call on Tuesday night. “Being able to insulate ourselves against having a long-term deal and the risk involved in any long-term deal, much less with a pitcher, being able to do something on a shorter-term basis had a greater appeal to us. You will see a fairly robust (pitcher’s market) this offseason -- deals beyond comfortable where we were interested in going. We made a deal and were able to do it on terms we found palatable.”

The White Sox can thank Peavy and agent Jeff Barry for their willingness.

Even though Peavy likely would have received a bigger payday on the open market when he became a free agent on Friday, his desire was to return to the White Sox. Therefore, Peavy, who also won the first Rawlings Gold Glove of his career on Tuesday night, did what he could to ensure a return.

“I never wanted any games,” Peavy said. “I was open and upfront about (returning). … I certainly did all in my power to return to where I’m the happiest.”

Hahn and Peavy said contract talks started strong and then cooled off to the point Peavy was concerned he might not return to a club, which acquired him from the San Diego Padres for four pitchers on July 31, 2009.

But talks between the sides gained traction quickly over the last 72 hours, Hahn said.

Part of it was the concession Peavy made to allow the White Sox to pay the $4 million buyout on his 2013 club option from 2016-19. Another aspect is that Peavy’s 2015 player option kicks in only if he stays healthy and passes certain statistical thresholds, figures Hahn declined to reveal.

“(Flexibility) played a huge roll,” Hahn said. “We got creative.”

Peavy said he didn’t want the White Sox to hurt their ability to acquire other quality players in order to ensure his return. The team also exercised its $9.5 million option on pitcher Gavin Floyd on Tuesday to bolster its 2013 rotation.

“It has to fit for everybody,” Peavy said. “There has to be give and take from everybody, flexibility. We both gave a little bit on what we both wanted to do. You want to come back on a deal that doesn’t hamstring the team.”

The final piece to the puzzle is the timing, Hahn noted. Had Peavy gone on the open market, there’s no telling what other teams would have offered. The Los Angeles Dodgers, for instance, have a big checkbook a might have opened it to attract the 2007 National League Cy Young winner. With free agency only 72 hours away, Hahn knew the White Sox had to make their move.

“Our chances would likely take a serious hit once he got out there,” Hahn said. “We were aggressive, otherwise we wouldn’t have got something done. He knew where he wanted to be and knew it was a fair deal and he was motivated to get something done.”

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 09:48 PM)
That is exactly what I expected from Peavy.

To be fair, he's still going to get $33M more dollars from the White Sox over the next several years. That makes it relatively easy to say "I don't care about the money."

Definitely glad he's signed. That would have left a gaping hole in the rotation.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 31, 2012 -> 08:55 AM)
To be fair, he's still going to get $33M more dollars from the White Sox over the next several years. That makes it relatively easy to say "I don't care about the money."

Definitely glad he's signed. That would have left a gaping hole in the rotation.

He could have gotten A LOT more on this free agent market... In terms of years, and dollars per year.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 31, 2012 -> 12:53 AM)
I hope it is nasty. s*** happens like this past year where Danks was hurt and Floyd was out a bit as well and Q was crummy late in the season.

Yeah, there is always a relatively high level of uncertainty with starting pitching compared to other positions...but you've gotta like where we stand right now.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 31, 2012 -> 08:59 AM)
Oh absolutely he gave the Sox a deal.

Yep.

This is all Peavy putting his money where his mouth is.

I officially want to apologize for all the nasty things I said about him after he rejected the first deal to come here. I thought he was afraid of pitching in a hitters park, but as it turns out, he's actually one of the few truly loyal players in baseball and actually did want to stay in SD for reasons other than park/stats/paydays/etc.

Thank you, Jakemeister.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Oct 31, 2012 -> 09:06 AM)
I officially want to apologize for all the nasty things I said about him after he rejected the first deal to come here.

Ah, good call bringing this up. This whole place was a hate-fest for Jake when he turned down that first trade..it wasn't just you.