Keppinger to Sox 3 yr deal

dmbjeff

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,2977450.story

By Mark Gonzales, Chicago Tribune reporter

7:59 p.m. CST, December 5, 2012

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Brent Morel played shortstop in high school and as a freshman at Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo, and the White Sox could take a look at him as a utility player if he is fully recovered from a back injury.

"I don't want to put too much on (him) right now, other than getting healthy and doing what he has to do to get his problems behind him," general manager Rick Hahn said Tuesday at baseball's winter meetings.

"If he is 100 percent healthy come (spring training) and doing all the drills and playing spring training games without restrictions and feeling good, we will absolutely see, just like any other infielders with versatility, if he could potentially help us in addition to third base."

Morel will be replaced at third by Jeff Keppinger, who agreed to a three-year, $12 million contract Tuesday. The Sox trusted the judgment of manager Robin Ventura and assistant GM Buddy Bell, both former Gold Glove third basemen.

"The guys tend to have a pretty strong opinion, especially the good defensive ones, about what it takes to play a quality third base, or shortstop in Ozzie (Guillen's) case," Hahn said. "So we have absolutely had conversations with Robin and Buddy, not only about our own guys in terms of their ability to fill in at that position, but also any potential free-agent or trade acquisitions."

Extra innings: Hahn intimated Carlos Sanchez, 20, the Sox's top infield prospect, would be better served starting the season at Triple-A Charlotte than as a backup in the majors so he can get more at-bats. … The Sox view Andre Rienzo as a starting pitcher rather than a reliever, especially after reviewing reports on his performance in the Arizona Fall League from scouts within and outside the organization. Rienzo will pitch for Brazil in the World Baseball Classic and will miss at least part of spring training. … Hahn and his staff were evaluating candidates for Thursday's Rule 5 draft. The Sox have the 17th pick but could pass.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 07:31 AM)
I'm sure most of Soxtalk will hate him soon enough because he isn't the classic home run hitting 3B. My hope is that Morel is really healthy, can unlearn all of the bad habits he picked up trying to save his back, and can actually become a decent starter. Keppinger would be a platoon/super-sub type of guy, which would really be ideal for this team.

Morel is the worst starting positional player I have seen on the Sox in the past decade. This includes a list of Josh Fields, Brian Anderson, Juan Pierre and I'm sure many others of whom I can't remember due to selective memory loss.

That being said, this is a solid move; I am happy we did not overpay for Youkilis whose numbers I'm sure will not be overwhelmingly better.

If we do end up signing AJ back, the question, in my opinion, is how do you significantly upgrade this team with seemingly all of the positions set right now. We could use Floyd as a trade chip, but what do we go after?

Morel is the worst starting positional player I have seen on the Sox in the past decade. This includes a list of Josh Fields, Brian Anderson, Juan Pierre and I'm sure many others of whom I can't remember due to selective memory loss.

That being said, this is a solid move; I am happy we did not overpay for Youkilis whose numbers I'm sure will not be overwhelmingly better.

If we do end up signing AJ back, the question, in my opinion, is how do you significantly upgrade this team with seemingly all of the positions set right now. We could use Floyd as a trade chip, but what do we go after?

Ideally Floyd would be packaged with Beckham or Flowers to get a major upgrade at 2B or C, but I don't know how much is available at those positions so the most likely course is to package him with Viciedo or Rios for a top-line corner OF.

QUOTE (Special K @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 09:56 AM)

The Sox were 9th in the AL in ERA last year, both their starters and their bullpen overall put up numbers that were average.

If Sale stays healthier and doesn't need to be as worried about innings load, ditto with Quintana and Peavy, and Danks comes back to add another guy who can give an ERA in the 3's...and the Sox don't wind up needing to blow as many games with struggling rookies as they did last year...then that is several games of upgrade.

Sox were #4 in the AL in runs scored last year. They could still see offensive improvement from guys like Viciedo, Beckham, Flowers, having ADA not get hurt, and Ramirez...and this signing hopefully keeps 3b from being a 2 month black hole. The same lineup could get extra wins...but the biggest place to improve remains the pitching staff.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 09:02 AM)
The Sox were 9th in the AL in ERA last year, both their starters and their bullpen overall put up numbers that were average.

If Sale stays healthier and doesn't need to be as worried about innings load, ditto with Quintana and Peavy, and Danks comes back to add another guy who can give an ERA in the 3's...and the Sox don't wind up needing to blow as many games with struggling rookies as they did last year...then that is several games of upgrade.

Sox were #4 in the AL in runs scored last year. They could still see offensive improvement from guys like Viciedo, Beckham, Flowers, having ADA not get hurt, and Ramirez...and this signing hopefully keeps 3b from being a 2 month black hole. The same lineup could get extra wins...but the biggest place to improve remains the pitching staff.

7th in ERA

6th in runs allowed

9th in ER

Just want to clarify

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 11:56 AM)
7th in ERA

6th in runs allowed

9th in ER

Just want to clarify

You've got an axis inversion in there. The Sox allowed the 6th most ER in the AL; in that stat, a high ranking is bad, while tey have the 9th best ERA: in that a low number is good.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 11:43 AM)
You've got an axis inversion in there. The Sox allowed the 6th most ER in the AL; in that stat, a high ranking is bad, while tey have the 9th best ERA: in that a low number is good.

I see what you did. I just always just have good outcomes as #1, no matter how they rank. They actually allowed more earned runs than the Angels and Rangers (with whom they were tied) but played a few more innings too.

They were actually tied for 7th in the AL, but, when dividing out, they did finish 9th by the thinnest of margins.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 07:37 PM)
FWIW Youk has a 1 year $12M dollar offer on the table, from NYY.

Man, that's big time money for a guy in obvious decline. He is a below average fielder at third and lousy hitter. Good luck, Yankees. Wow.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 01:55 PM)
Man, that's big time money for a guy in obvious decline. He is a below average fielder at third and lousy hitter. Good luck, Yankees. Wow.

He is far from a lousy hitter. Unless guys are putting up Miguel Cabrera type numbers, they just don't cut it for you, do they?

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 05:35 PM)
i'd like to see the Sox add Stephen Drew to this infield.... plug him in against RH SP for whichever Keppinger/Alexei/Beckham has the worst matchup and/or is struggling.

He's gonna be way too much money for that type of role -- the SS market is just as weak as the 3B market.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 08:22 PM)
He is far from a lousy hitter. Unless guys are putting up Miguel Cabrera type numbers, they just don't cut it for you, do they?

OK in 292 at bats for the White Sox he hit .235 with 15 homers and 46 RBI. He did walk 37 times.

For the year in its entireity he hit .235 with 19 homers and 60 RBIs. 51 walks isn't too bad. In September he hit .220 with three homers and a lousy 8 rbis. He had 22 strike outs in 91 at bats. Like most of our hitters, he choked or simply sucked down the stretch, however you wish to describe it. Those are not the stats of a 12 million buck a year player, especially at 34. He's also an average at best fielder. He was not special at all with the glove. I don't know who to compare his stats to in White Sox history, but if his name wasn't Youkilis I don't think people would be happy with that performance.

Now you could say if he stayed with the White Sox an entire year in 600 at bats he'd hit 30 home runs with 92 RBIs. I guess if you believe that you give him 12 million bucks, but I didn't really see an all-star caliber player in Youk with the White Sox.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 09:52 PM)
OK in 292 at bats for the White Sox he hit .235 with 15 homers and 46 RBI. He did walk 37 times.

For the year in its entireity he hit .235 with 19 homers and 60 RBIs. 51 walks isn't too bad. In September he hit .220 with three homers and a lousy 8 rbis. He had 22 strike outs in 91 at bats. Like most of our hitters, he choked or simply sucked down the stretch, however you wish to describe it. Those are not the stats of a 12 million buck a year player, especially at 34. He's also an average at best fielder. He was not special at all with the glove. I don't know who to compare his stats to in White Sox history, but if his name wasn't Youkilis I don't think people would be happy with that performance.

Now you could say if he stayed with the White Sox an entire year in 600 at bats he'd hit 30 home runs with 92 RBIs. I guess if you believe that you give him 12 million bucks, but I didn't really see an all-star caliber player in Youk with the White Sox.

Spot on.

The whole Youk thing just sounded better than it actually was. It sure was exciting when we got him though; most exciting time I've had as a Sox can since 25-5.

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 06:35 PM)
i'd like to see the Sox add Stephen Drew to this infield.... plug him in against RH SP for whichever Keppinger/Alexei/Beckham has the worst matchup and/or is struggling.

Trade beckham floyd and quintana for upton

Sign drew to play second

Then trade de aza for francisco to play 3rd.

Sign meyers to pitch in starting rotation

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 11:48 PM)
Spot on.

The whole Youk thing just sounded better than it actually was. It sure was exciting when we got him though; most exciting time I've had as a Sox can since 25-5.

Youk actually did just fine for us. The problem was he wasn't Youk any more. He didn't put up a .425 obp for us. He was worth it because he was better than a guy who may never be healthy again and he had some huge home runs.

If he could be healthy again he could be a solid player but he wasn't even healthy for us. All his value was in a couple home runs. Put him in a park with a big LF and all that value is gone unless he can get back to being an obp god.

I agree that he wasn't worth $12 million and I'm glad the Sox didn't bring him back at that price. But to say he was a lousy hitter because he had a poor September is entirely short-sighted. He hit 15 homers with the Sox, drew quite a few walks, and brought home quite a few runs. He wasn't a good hitter, but he was far from lousy.

And considering what the Sox had been running with at 3B prior to Youkilis arriving, his name could have been anything and people would have been happy about it. I don't think anyone here was unhappy with what Youkilis brought to the table for the White Sox, and if they are, they need a hard dose of reality.

QUOTE (mataipaepae @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 10:58 PM)
Trade beckham floyd and quintana for upton

Sign drew to play second

Then trade de aza for francisco to play 3rd.

Sign meyers to pitch in starting rotation

Beckham, Floyd, and Quintana isn't going to be nearly enough for Upton. That's not even enough to get Elvis Andrus, and the DBacks have said the Rangers need to add even more with him to acquire Upton.

Drew is going to get like $6+ million and there's no guarantee he puts up better numbers than Beckham. And then you're left with a hole at 2B next year because Drew will be gone either way thanks to Boras.

We've been over this...Juan Francisco is very mediocre, and Alejandro De Aza is an incredible overpayment. Think Jordan Danks.

Brett Myers is mediocre and, while he did a passable job in middle relief for the White Sox, they'd be better off pursuing other opportunities.

---

Yeah, I literally don't agree with any of those moves.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 07:25 AM)
I agree that he wasn't worth $12 million and I'm glad the Sox didn't bring him back at that price. But to say he was a lousy hitter because he had a poor September is entirely short-sighted. He hit 15 homers with the Sox, drew quite a few walks, and brought home quite a few runs. He wasn't a good hitter, but he was far from lousy.

And considering what the Sox had been running with at 3B prior to Youkilis arriving, his name could have been anything and people would have been happy about it. I don't think anyone here was unhappy with what Youkilis brought to the table for the White Sox, and if they are, they need a hard dose of reality.

This is from the comments section of the Keppinger story on Southside Sox.

While the debate rages on regarding 3B. Youk split time between two of the best hitters parks in all of baseball last season. In the 240+ plate appearances he had that did not take place at Fenway or the Cell, he hit .158/.248/.247. Those are the actual numbers!

Wait a second, stop the presses! Did greg actually use stats to back up an argument?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 02:31 PM)
Indians are offering Youk 2 for $18 million. I'd rather have that than Keppinger, to be honest.

There's nothing wrong with Keppinger, but Youk, even as inconsistent as he was last year, is still a better player.

This is moot unless he accepts that offer.