Sox seeking LH bat

joeynach

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kubel is a tread water move. I have no problem with these moves as long as they are attached to other moves which deepen the talent roster in 2014 and beyond. This division still sucks compared to the West (Hells Angels alone) and the AL East... we can win with a s***ty roster comparitively. But we can't lose focus, and we have to create a long-term window supported by good, young players.

Please Rick Hahn, get off your lazy ass and do something already. You're embarrassing us. Or at least me.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Dec 23, 2012 -> 05:05 PM)
Kubel is a tread water move. I have no problem with these moves as long as they are attached to other moves which deepen the talent roster in 2014 and beyond. This division still sucks compared to the West (Hells Angels alone) and the AL East... we can win with a s***ty roster comparitively. But we can't lose focus, and we have to create a long-term window supported by good, young players.

Please Rick Hahn, get off your lazy ass and do something already. You're embarrassing us. Or at least me.

Patience mon frere.

If Kubel really only costs the Sox relievers like some have said on here you do it with the idea they already have a deal in place for one of the other OFers.

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Dec 23, 2012 -> 11:57 AM)
If you watched that DBacks team this past season you would know how silly everything you just said sounds and realize I am right. I know the numbers sound crazy, but ask anyone who watched the Dbacks last year and they will tell you hitting .050 higher with an extra 10 hrs and 30 rbis was definitely possible.

He was hitting .298 July 26th before the slide started. 90 games in.

He had only 18 RBIs after July 25th, with 72 RBIs in the first 90 games.

He had only 8 HRs after July 26th, with 22 HRs in the first 90 games.

90 games is a pretty good sample size, so he was on pace to hit around .300 sustaining the first 90 games.

On pace to hit 128 RBIs sustaining that pace for 160 games.

On pace to hit 39 HRs sustaining that pace for 160 games.

With better protection that a slumping sophomore strike out king in Goldy, a streaky catcher for 10 games or whatever, and a super streaky hill for up to 10 games, or just keeping the pace he was at, he hits .300/39/128...

There is a reason Kubel slumped later in the year. He was playing over his head and the league might not have adjusted to his tendencies. Remember, he played in the AL his entire career before last season. Then the league started to pitch him a certain way and he couldn't adjust. You can't simply just say that he should have hit 39 home runs based on a 90 game sample size and extrapolate that over 162 games.

Go and look back at all of Kubel's seasons and tell me if he's really a guy who can put up .300/.370/.550. He's not and he only came close to doing that once. The sample size of his previous 5 year playing career is far greater than a good 90 game stretch.

Trading any one of those guys and replacing them with Kubel is a downgrade. Viciedo's value is in the future. He's only 23. He is most likely going to get better. Rios and Konerko are WAY better than Kubel ever will be. And this is coming from someone that despises Rios and wants him moved. If the Sox get Kubel, they better have another trade lined up that nets them one hell of a player.

Right, but I think the idea is that maybe one of those guys can be packaged with Floyd to get an even bigger bat or perhaps a middle infielder that can hit, so there's more than just replacing one of them with Kubel.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 23, 2012 -> 09:37 PM)
Right, but I think the idea is that maybe one of those guys can be packaged with Floyd to get an even bigger bat or perhaps a middle infielder that can hit, so there's more than just replacing one of them with Kubel.

That's pretty much what I said. I'm fine with that. I just don't want Kubel on this team unless whoever he is replacing is used to better the team for the future. The Sox are more than just 1 piece away from contending.

I love trade speculation.

Floyd & Viciedo to Orioles for Markakis and Arietta.

Flip Arietta to WAS for Renden.

Ramirez to AZ, Upton & Hector Santiago to TX, Profar to CHW.

Beckham to Seattle for Ackley.

Sign Soriano 2/$24m.

Strengthen bullpen. Get Younger. Get Left Handed.

CF De Aza (L)

LF Markakis (L)

RF Rios ®

DH Konerko ®

1B Dunn (L)

2B Ackley (S)

CA Flowers ®

3B Renden ®

SS Profar (S)

SP Peavy

SP Danks

SP Sale

SP Quintana

SP Castro/Molina/Free Agent

CL Soriano

RP Thornton

RP Jones

RP Crain

RP Reed

RP Veal

RP Omogrosso

I could go on and on.

Thank you! This is what I like about the off season! A rumor, (Sox seeking left handed bat), then creative scenarios that keep me thinking about the potentially bright future of the Sox.

QUOTE (striker @ Dec 24, 2012 -> 09:16 AM)
I love trade speculation.

Floyd & Viciedo to Orioles for Markakis and Arietta.

Flip Arietta to WAS for Renden.

Ramirez to AZ, Upton & Hector Santiago to TX, Profar to CHW.

Beckham to Seattle for Ackley.

Sign Soriano 2/$24m.

Strengthen bullpen. Get Younger. Get Left Handed.

CF De Aza (L)

LF Markakis (L)

RF Rios ®

DH Konerko ®

1B Dunn (L)

2B Ackley (S)

CA Flowers ®

3B Renden ®

SS Profar (S)

SP Peavy

SP Danks

SP Sale

SP Quintana

SP Castro/Molina/Free Agent

CL Soriano

RP Thornton

RP Jones

RP Crain

RP Reed

RP Veal

RP Omogrosso

I could go on and on.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 24, 2012 -> 09:29 AM)
I could maybe see the Baltimore one, but yeah, the others we are not giving up enough. Ramirez and Santiago for Upton? Beckham for Ackley?

I don't even think the Baltimore trade is realistic. You can talk about Viciedo's future value all you want, but Markakis is a really good hitter. Considering Baltimore just won the Wild Card, they'd need more than Viciedo and a free agent to be Gavin Floyd. Arrietta is a guy that could be acquired, but he's not a major piece either.

You are right though. That trade is the closest one to being possible.

QUOTE (striker @ Dec 24, 2012 -> 09:36 AM)
You replying to my xbox trade was not a waste at all.

Multitasking at work and did a ten second reply. You spent a good amount of time dreaming up some half brained scenario that probably wouldn't even happen in a roto league.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 24, 2012 -> 10:42 AM)
I don't even think the Baltimore trade is realistic. You can talk about Viciedo's future value all you want, but Markakis is a really good hitter. Considering Baltimore just won the Wild Card, they'd need more than Viciedo and a free agent to be Gavin Floyd. Arrietta is a guy that could be acquired, but he's not a major piece either.

You are right though. That trade is the closest one to being possible.

So if you are Baltimore's GM, what more do you ask for? The other thing you don't mention is Markakis's salary. You are saving money which could be spent elsewhere. You could extend Floyd and shift your strength from RF to SP.

QUOTE (striker @ Dec 24, 2012 -> 09:52 AM)
So if you are Baltimore's GM, what more do you ask for? The other thing you don't mention is Markakis's salary. You are saving money which could be spent elsewhere. You could extend Floyd and shift your strength from RF to SP.

I would say "I appreciate your inquiry but we are simply not interested in moving Nick at this time."

The Orioles have Nolan Reimold and Trayvon Robinson who are essentially carbon copies of Dayan Viciedo. They have plenty of outfielders. They have a solid rotation and the best pitching prospect in the game. They don't need to deal Nick Markakis.

If someone came and asked about acquiring Jake Peavy, what would you say?