Your Realistic 2014 Lineup

Dunt

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 09:35 AM)
I would do a Hector for Rosario flip. I'd think about Q instead of Hector.

I actually wonder if that's enough.

Probably not, I have not a clue about how he is defensively, I'm assuming bad based on the Rockies wanting to move him from there. but he's been a top 3 catcher offensively the last 2 years.

Probably looking at Santiago/Reed or maybe Q/Jones.

Depending on how they feel about his defense I'd have to think about both.

Then if I were to do one of those deals I'd go off and try to pull of one of the trades Blue Jay fans were suggesting.

Beckham for Aaron Loup and Delabar/Janssen....Don't think the Blue Jays would do it but it was suggested by some of their fans.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFan05 @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 12:01 AM)
The weak Alexei to St. Louis rumor should be dead now. The Cards and Rockies are discussing a Tulowitzki trade (Cards would be incredible if he stays healthy).

On an unrelated note, Gordon Beckham got married yesterday.

So it becomes clear that St. Louis is willing to take on salary if they can get a serious upgrade to their SS position, no deal is yet completed, the Sox have a SS who costs substantially less than that guy and doesn't have the health concerns, and that is supposed to "kill" the rumors rather than "inflame and encourage" them?

QUOTE (ChiSoxFan05 @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 01:01 AM)
The weak Alexei to St. Louis rumor should be dead now. The Cards and Rockies are discussing a Tulowitzki trade (Cards would be incredible if he stays healthy).

Wouldn't call them dead, the Tulo deal could fall through. Cards are also asking about Andrus/Profar though. I'd say Lexi might be plan C.

I might have to amend my lineup. With the Sox having many options at 2b, and Gordon having had a decent 2013 [for him], I think the sox will go with an internal option at 2b and trade him. Marcus Semien, Luery Garcia and don't look now, Carlos Sanchez as options. He's lighting it up in Venezuela.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?p...&pid=570560

QUOTE (ChiSoxFan05 @ Nov 10, 2013 -> 11:01 PM)

The Tulo rumor appears to be pretty weak as well.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 12:19 PM)
You're missing a couple things. We were at 119 last year to start the year with only the players on the 40 man. No draft spending factored into that number.

Consider the extra 25 million for the TV deal and dock 10 million for lack of attendance. So taking that 87 million number you threw out there, there is 32 million just to get to 119 million. A number we could possibly pass due to the TV deal. Do I think we'll start '14 with a payroll over 110 million? No, but there is room if the right move presented itself.

Why is the bolded the appropriate assumption? Dont forget they also slashed ticket prices last year and still saw a drop in attendance. Revenue could well be down more than that.

And on top of that...you're ignoring the fact that the Sox did not pay $119 million last year. They might have been prepared to pay that much had they had a winning season but they did not. They cut probably more than $10 million from their payroll during the season - and don't forget how adamant they were about not sending money with the people they were trading.

Stumbled over to an A's message board and the majority of them like Vogt over Jaso(for whatever reason). A Yankees fan stumbled in there and asked what they would want for him, and some said org pitching depth....Perhaps we can get him in a deal built around something like Snodgress and Molina/Castro.

Holy s***, let's sign Uribe for 3B the next couple seasons. I had NO IDEA how awesome he was in 2013. I knew he played well defensively, but I would have never believed he put up a 5.1 WAR! MLBTR projects he could get a 2 yr/$12M deal. For $6M a year, he would easily be worth it if he has only half the season he did in 2012. At the very least he is someone we could flip at the deadline if he repeats his 2013 campaign, and at $6M a year he'd be a bargin for any time who needs a late season push from 3B.

Sign me the f*** up.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 09:29 PM)
C FA

1B -Abreu

2B - Semien

SS - Ramirez

3B - Gillespie

RF - Garcia

CF - FA

LF - Viciedo

DH - DeAza

Bench: Garcia, Keppinger, Flowers, someone who can hit

Dealt - Dunn, Beckham

How are you coming up with the money for multiple FA signings when we have no room for any right now? Esp. Since you're coming up with a lot of money to get someone to take Dunn?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 08:31 PM)
How are you coming up with the money for multiple FA signings when we have no room for any right now? Esp. Since you're coming up with a lot of money to get someone to take Dunn?

Why do you keep saying this? You have no idea how much payroll room they have left and what moves they could make to create more. Let's not overreact to some number Merkin through out there on the team's official website. I hope you don't think Hahn would openly communicate his payroll restrictions to agents and opposing GMs in early November.

My Prediction:

C - Saltalamacchia

1B - Abreu

2B - Beckham

3B - Semien/Gillaspie

SS - Ramirez

LF - Viciedo

CF - De Aza

RF - Garcia

DH - Dunn

Bench:

C - Flowers

IF - Keppinger

OF - Danks

UTIL - FA Signing

I think the Sox are going to look at Salty more than ever given he was never offered a qualifying offer from the Bo Sox. He offers another left-handed bat which the Sox are in need of, IMO. It just makes sense. Yea, he's not a superstar, and he's far from the best catcher in the majors, but he provides some stability at a position greatly lacking within the Sox minor league system. Flowers is nothing more than a backup catcher that can hit lefties (if he's lucky), and Phegley just did not impress me as starting catching material. Between those two, the Sox should be able to find some type of semi-decent bat that can spell Salty from tough lefties. It's an upgrade from last year. I don't think anyone can argue that. Is he our dream catcher we all wish the Sox had? No, but the catching position is very weak across the MLB in case anyone has noticed.

I can't see them going after any of those big name free agents. Hahn's going to try to move Dunn, but at the end of the day it just will not make much sense to eat that contract. I think it's far more likely we see him moved at the deadline when the next 2013 Texas Rangers come looking for a big bat to provide some pop for a playoff push. De Aza stays as well. Again, not the best option, but I don't see anyone blowing the Sox away with an offer for him. He's not the best option, but it sure as hell could be worse.

If anyone gets moved, it'll be Santiago or Quintana, and they will be moved for close to MLB ready prospects; similar to the Peavy deal. I really think Hahn has a good plan in motion for the next few years to get the Sox competitive again, and signing aging vets like Granderson and McCann to huge handcuffing deals is not apart of it.

I think if we just sign Salty and maybe a bullpen arm or two it puts us in a very good position. Salty gives you a reliable catcher with high end potential offensively. He's shown he can provide 25 HR's, albeit with a low average. Even if he gives us what he gave Boston last year that's still a 3 WAR player which is near the top 1/3 in the MLB. I think he will succeed here especially cuz he'll have a bigger offensive role than in Boston. But at least you have a reliable catcher for the next 4 years. I would also like to sign Michael Young. I know he's declining, but I think his knowledge could be extremely valuable to the young guys. He kinda replaces Paulie in that role, plus he is more versatile and can play 2nd, 3rd, and 1st . Give Conor a chance this season and if he doesn't improve, trade him along with a SP for Lawrie or someone next offseason. If we get lucky and everyone plays to their potential, this could be an exciting 85 win team, possibly more if we add at the deadline. If it doesn't work out and we end up more around the 75 win mark, the season could still be a success solely based on the young guys improving. With Hahn as our GM, I think everything is brighter because we're gonna do this the right way. Also, keep Dunn till the deadline, I could see him having a type of year we thought we were getting when we signed him.

Sign: Crain (2-10), Scott Downs(1-4), and Salty(4/36-40)

1. De Aza (270/15/60) 2 WAR

2. Ramirez (280/10/70) 2.5

3. Abreu (260/30/95) 3

4. Dunn (230/40/100) 1.5

5. Garcia (290/20/75) 2.5

6. Viciedo (260/25/70) 1

7. Salty (240/20/70) 2.5

8. Gillaspie (260/15/50) 1.5

9. Beckham (265/10/55) 1.5

Bench

1. Keppinger .25 WAR

2. Young (3b and DH vs tough lefties) .25

3. Garcia .5 WAR

4. Flowers .5

Rotation:

1. Sale 5 WAR

2. Quintana 3.5 WAR

3. Danks 3 WAR

4. Johnson 2 WAR

5. Santiago 2 WAR

Pen 3 WAR

CL Reed

SU Crain

SU Jones

MR Downs

MR Lindstrom

MR Petricka/Webb

MR/LR Veal/Rienzo

Great pitching staff and an offense with upside (reasonable projections in parenthesis for offense)

I think my WAR are pretty fair for the most part. With these projections our total WAR is 38.5, which gives us between 85-90 wins

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 09:54 PM)
Why do you keep saying this? You have no idea how much payroll room they have left and what moves they could make to create more. Let's not overreact to some number Merkin through out there on the team's official website. I hope you don't think Hahn would openly communicate his payroll restrictions to agents and opposing GMs in early November.

But I think it's exceptionally silly to pretend there are no constraints and just come up with rosters that involve random, unnamed, wonderfully affordable FA's with no explanation of how it's going to happen, who they'll be, or why we shouldn't believe those salary constraints.

QUOTE (wardo @ Nov 9, 2013 -> 01:38 AM)
Todd Frazier hit 19 home runs and drove in 72. They also signed Jack Hannahan last year but I don't know if he's a free agent now or what. I don't necessarily think a Keppinger swap works here but Hanigan wouldn't be a bad presence behind the plate for a year or so.

Keppinger would be a UT for them to back up Frazier, Phillips, and Votto and be a solid PH off the bench. It would really be a swap of back ups.

There is speculation now that the Reds are preparing for a big trade, sending out Mesoraco instead of Hannigan.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 09:05 AM)
Keppinger would be a UT for them to back up Frazier, Phillips, and Votto and be a solid PH off the bench. It would really be a swap of back ups.

There is speculation now that the Reds are preparing for a big trade, sending out Mesoraco instead of Hannigan.

Considering no one wanted to give Keppinger the contract the Sox gave him last offseason except the Sox, and considering his 2013 performance, I think there is a good chance Kep is a White Sox in 2014.