Peavy to Boston, Avisail Garcia + 3 low lv specs to Sox

QUOTE (beautox @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 12:16 PM)
thats why the sox should be moving Reed this deadline or offseason for someone like Adam Eaton or Jackie Bradley Jr. if the bosox reup with Ellsbury. I think Jones or Daniel Webb could handle closing games.

If those guys were available for Reed, he'd be gone by now

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 10:08 AM)
You have to make the Cardinals pay more than that. Butler and Blazek are C prospects; Adams is their backup 1B and figures to stay there. WE could use Adams, but not for this trade.

I agree with the above comment - do that for Alexei and Lindstrom.

While I agree they need to give up a little more in a deal for Peavy/Lexi.. 1. I wouldn't really call Blazek or Butler a C prospect, they both look to be back end of the bullpen guys. If the Sox plan on moving Crain, Lindstrom, and who knows maybe even Reed and Jones picking up those 2 relievers would be nice (if we can get a little bit more). 2. That deal is not gonna happen for Lexi and Lindstrom. They don't need Lindstrom and Lexi alone isn't going to bring back a potential middle of the lineup bat and 2 potential closers.

If they add a guy like Piscotty to the trade I think I'd do it. We have all talked about the value of relief pitching being high on the trade market so getting these 2 RPs and a middle of the lineup bat would be 1 decent prospect away for Peavy and Lexi.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 12:11 PM)
In the AL, the Red Sox, Orioles, Rays. He'd be the #3 starter on the Rangers and Tigers when you factor in the ballpark effect in detroit. So basically, all of them. The deal is the same in the NL except you have to adjust for leagues also.

I'd say:

He's number 1 on none, except maybe Boston, who's a mess. If we sell low to them, I'll be pissed.

He's a marginal 2/3 on Baltimore.

A 3 on Tampa, Detroit and Texas.

He's a 3-5 on Oakland

He's probably a 2 on Atlanta, due to Hudson. Another team we shouldn't sell low to. Peavy fits their park, too.

He's a 3 on St Louis.

He's a 4/5 on Cincy

A 2 on the Dodgers

A 3-5 on Pittsburgh.

Very good pitcher.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 01:32 PM)
I'd say:

He's number 1 on none, except maybe Boston, who's a mess. If we sell low to them, I'll be pissed.

He's a marginal 2/3 on Baltimore.

A 3 on Tampa, Detroit and Texas.

He's a 3-5 on Oakland

He's probably a 2 on Atlanta, due to Hudson.

He's a 3 on St Louis.

He's a 4/5 on Cincy

A 2 on the Dodgers

A 3-5 on Pittsburgh.

Very good pitcher.

A couple of those you've assumed guys stay healthy (Tampa, David Price hasn't been there all year) and you've neglected the NL/AL transition (Cincy, Pittsburgh). The usual rule is subtract something like 0.75-1 from a guy's ERA if they switch leagues, although that might be a bit smaller now that the full interleague schedule has started. In the NL he'd probably be putting up an ERA close to 3.25, maybe even 3 if he was pitching somewhere like San Fran.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 12:36 PM)
A couple of those you've assumed guys stay healthy (Tampa, David Price hasn't been there all year) and you've neglected the NL/AL transition (Cincy, Pittsburgh). The usual rule is subtract something like 0.75-1 from a guy's ERA if they switch leagues, although that might be a bit smaller now that the full interleague schedule has started. In the NL he'd probably be putting up an ERA close to 3.25, maybe even 3 if he was pitching somewhere like San Fran.

Keep in mind Peavy pitched 2 games with a broken rib and was hit hard. His ERA for his other starts is right about 3.00 and that is pitching with a terrible defense. I thin Sox fans are really underestimating how good he has actually been this year and last.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 12:40 PM)
Keep in mind Peavy pitched 2 games with a broken rib and was hit hard. His ERA for his other starts is right about 3.00 and that is pitching with a terrible defense. I thin Sox fans are really underestimating how good he has actually been this year and last.

Our debate was actually on Quintana.

Now I do think that Peavy is a top of the rotation starter and would help every contender. Whether they're willing to pay is the question.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 12:53 PM)
Our debate was actually on Quintana.

Now I do think that Peavy is a top of the rotation starter and would help every contender. Whether they're willing to pay is the question.

You didn't answer my question earlier? What's your beef with Quintana? The numbers suggest he's been a top of the rotation starter this year. Why do you think that's not the case?

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 01:56 PM)
Russell hasn't been playing for a week or so.

Not directed at SoxPride, but another poster had said Adams is a butcher at 1B and I've read the contrary. Namely, Mike (the STL fan) has posted and says he moves quite well over there despite his big body.

Can someone comment on what we would be looking at as far as return with SF? I like Crick's potential but I feel like he may be untouchable for SF. Anyone else know of their system? The only other guys I can think of off the top of my head are Gary Brown and Stratton. Brown is meh and I know little to nothing about Stratton other than him being a 1st rounder in '12.

Clayton Blackburn. Andrew Susac. Martin Agosta is interesting with good numbers, but he really needs to be pitching above Low-A.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 07:00 PM)
I'm of the same opinion. I can see how the Sox could talk themselves into not doing so, though.

It just seems like way too big of a risk to hold on to him and go for it next year and/or trade him this offseason/next deadline. I can't see how his stock will ever be higher in relation to who is available.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 02:06 PM)
In your opinion could SF put together an adequate package for Jake sans Crick? My head and the reports on the Sox wishes says no.

Meh. I think I would only have them above Atlanta as far as possible returns go. It would help if Stratton was pitching above Low-A as well.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 11:56 AM)
Russell hasn't been playing for a week or so.

Not directed at SoxPride, but another poster had said Adams is a butcher at 1B and I've read the contrary. Namely, Mike (the STL fan) has posted and says he moves quite well over there despite his big body.

Can someone comment on what we would be looking at as far as return with SF? I like Crick's potential but I feel like he may be untouchable for SF. Anyone else know of their system? The only other guys I can think of off the top of my head are Gary Brown and Stratton. Brown is meh and I know little to nothing about Stratton other than him being a 1st rounder in '12.

If you go to the Cards website you will find an article about how he (Adams) lost weight in the offseason specifically to improve his fielding and it paid off. Beside we're talking about replacing Konerko and Dunn at 1st so please let's get real. That same poster thinks the Sox could get Adams and more for Lexi and Lindstrom

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 10:40 AM)

Peavy has been really good since he got healthy for the Sox. If I were a contender, he's clearly the best piece and you probably get him for less then the Cubs got Garza (even though I know everyone on this board expects more for him, I just don't know that will happen). If we get 2 legitimate top 4 prospects from a team plus another 1-2 top 15 guys (again from a solid organization), I'll consider myself pleased with the move. Ideally I'd like 3-4 top 10 guys (including 2 of the teams top prospects) and depending on the organization, if we get in a bidding war, it could happen.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 11:59 AM)
In my opinion, it would be a big mistake to not move Peavy by the end of the month.

I agree. I think you can get too much for him not too and moving him can really be a major start to the rebuilding process. We already botched moving Floyd and now we won't get the value for Crain we should have (and let me tell you...we could have gotten a top 3-5 prospect from an organization for Crain had he been 100% so I'm pretty bummed about this). Not sure what we'll get for Lindstrom but we should be able to get a solid top 10 guy in a decent organization, which again would be helpful long term (maybe a top 10 plus maybe a raw guy with some upside that is in low A ball). If I were to deal Lindstrom, I'd be looking at raw, high upside guys in other organizations. I'd probably target pitchers since our org has a better tendency of developing those type of guys.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 12:18 PM)
Seriously. Even so, I would deal with a below average defense to have cost controlled young LH bat in the middle of our order anyways but that poster should be corrected so there is no false belief that Adams can't pick it at 1B.

That's what the Sox have been looking for all along . I would guess if a deal with St. Louis goes through it will only be if Adams is part of the package. His minor league numbers are impressive and so has been his play in the majors thus far.

I keep reading that its a sellers market and I said early on it's a buyers market just based on my perception that teams wouldn't be willing to trade their top prospects ,so I'm definitely in the minority on that. So far not a lot done ,sellers asking for a lot. Guess we'll see who has the upper hand soon enough.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 12:45 PM)
Boston has to be the front runner. Their pitching situation should have them desperate and from what I have read Jake is their favorite on the market as he should be. I don't see the Cards and Mozeliak giving in to our demands. I think I prefer Adams to Cecchini at this point but I would be happy with either as long as we get a little something extra with them.

That worries me a bit too. Boston may perceive themselves to be the only serious contender for Peavy . Their prospects and team in general gets incredible coverage from the east coast based media ( Gammons,ESPN) and their rabid fan base. They've also had incredible luck getting great performances when bringing up guys like Middlebrooks and Iglesias whose minor league numbers were never that impressive. Keeping Jake won't be the worst thing that could happen but it would be a shame if the Sox can't cash in on the position they are in with him.