Peavy to Boston, Avisail Garcia + 3 low lv specs to Sox

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 08:53 PM)
But you're forgetting that the guys you get in return might never turn out to be productive players. That's part of the benefit of trading for prospects - because although they are somewhat unknowns at this point, at least they're saving you money. If you give that benefit up by paying all kinds of salary, then what the heck are you trading for anymore?

You've got to be getting some kind of consideration out if this, or else you may as well never move a productive veteran.

Totally agree and understand this part of it. That's where the risk comes into play and part of the reason why teams always insist on several prospects in return, you assume that some of them won't pan out. But if you have good scouts and a good minor league system, you can take the right prospects in return and turn them into valuable pieces of the big club.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never called JR cheap but we should have some payroll flexibility, we should be able to pick up a few mill if it means getting higher level talent in here. Once gain, I have no idea what's going on so I'm not criticizing yet but I would definitely be upset if we're not willing to pick up some cash to bring in more talent.

QUOTE (CyAcosta41 @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 09:57 PM)
Who says our owner appears not to want to pay ANY salary for departed players? Gammons? Others? What do they actually know? Anything more than what others with vested interests tell them? Or plant with them? Do they know what Rick Hahn actually will do? What Chairman Jerry will ultimately do?

And these reports of "checking out with an empty basket" ... these actions are without agendas? To be believed at face value?

All of this ... every bit of this ... is big league negotiations. None of us -- none of Gammons and his cronies -- know exactly what has happened to this point and the true bottom-lines for all teams. In the end, I'm enjoying the twists and turns of all of the reporting, but it's really just fluff and entertainment. Everyone concerned has self-interest and an agenda. I hesitate to take ANYTHING I'm hearing at face value because everyone - and the plants and shills - are posturing. This goes for the White Sox, your Cards, and every other team in baseball!

And you know what? I personally have no problem whatsoever if we're left with Peavy on Thursday morning -- he's an excellent pitcher, with a contract for the remainder of 2013 and all of 2014 which is very fair for a pitcher of his ilk, and if nobody makes a "fair" deal for him now, then somebody might during the offseason, or at next year's trade deadline. You're right - we're not trading Sandy Koufax here. But, not a single one of the prospects being discussed are the second coming of Strasburg, Harper, or Trout either. Prospects are prospects. No guarantees. But there is a heck of a lot more certainty that an excellent pitcher like Peavy (or current above-average major league players like Rios or Ramirez) will actually help a current contender to possibly win the whole thing than ANY of these prospects being a contributor on a future pennant winner. AND THAT is why some GM will ultimately pay a fair asking price -- because nobody is guaranteed the next shot at winning it all at any particular time.

Quite honestly, I think Peavy/Ramirez wind up going to the Cards (my NL team). GM Mo is a smart MOfo ... and a tough one ... and someone who I hope Rook Hahn turns into ... and the fit is so obvious, and the timing/need just right ... that the two of them will find the right combo of players and money.

As to your last paragraph, I hope you are right. Mo is a tough MoFo because he is very disciplined. The trade of Peavy & Ramirez to the Cardinals has made the most sense to me for over a month. Something has caused Mo to say tonight that he doesn't expect a big deal. Part of it is negotiations but part of it is also being realistic. I am thinking that the player cost is too high because he has consistently said that the Cardinals can absorb the money.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 10:17 PM)
•The White Sox have shown no interest in absorbing any of the approximately $24MM owed Peavy and that, along with health concerns, are big issues for the Braves.

Per Mlb rumors

I think the consensus will be the White Sox didn't get enough back for Peavy (although that's probably the case for most trades when young/unknown talent is acquired). What are we thinking though as terms of adequate return - 1 top 10 talent in a minor league system? 2 in the top 15? 2 in the top 10? More? Less?

QUOTE (mike65 @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 11:08 PM)
As to your last paragraph, I hope you are right. Mo is a tough MoFo because he is very disciplined. The trade of Peavy & Ramirez to the Cardinals has made the most sense to me for over a month. Something has caused Mo to say tonight that he doesn't expect a big deal. Part of it is negotiations but part of it is also being realistic. I am thinking that the player cost is too high because he has consistently said that the Cardinals can absorb the money.

Something has made him say that because he's not willing to strike a deal ... now. Or maybe he actually is, but wants to get something better. The same exact thing can be said for Hahn. All this stuff is fluid and changing. There reaches a point -- in this case, when the deadline hits when lack of a deal means definitively no deal. Until then, lack of a deal can mean so many things that I prefer not to waste too much energy trying to figure out what is truth and what is bluffing.

And a deal might not be reached. Sometimes it's because one party or the other is objectively "unrealistic." But sometimes it's because each side is working with a different script, and requiring certain things that the other simply can't match.

As a White Sox fan, I want my GM to have a good and solid plan, and then to implement that plan to the best of his ability. Sometimes he'll be able to make quality deals (and even quality deals might never turn into something positive). Sometimes he won't. It's the discipline and trying that is important. More often than not, in the end it results in more hits than misses. But what I certainly don't want is a patsy GM who can't pass a "test" and is unable to stand-up to the bullies. Sometimes you win simply by not letting others take advantage of you. Then, you fight another day.

Hope the Sox and Cards figure out a way to make something work ... and hope Peavy and Ramirez get a chance to be World Series Champs with the Cards!

I think this tweet for gammons is telling

A's not in on Peavy price(Gray, Russell & take on bearly $20M), ditto Boston, ditto Atlanta. Time running down

https://mobile.twitter.com/pgammo/status/361675716460429312

It's ridiculous how much Gammons is used by Boston as a insider to leak information. So he has basically claimed today all 5 teams that were "hot" on Peavy have backed off because of $ and talent. This time of the year is always great for misinformation. I will say this though of all teams that have been reported today that were destinations, not much has come out of beantown, to me that is very telling. I think Boston and Rick are seeing who blinks first. IMO Peavy will either be a Card or will be changing his color of Sox.

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 08:58 PM)
IMO Peavy will either be a Card or will be changing his color of Sox.

ding ding ding...

See ya tomorrow folks.

Edited by hi8is

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 11:37 PM)
It would be great if Pittsburgh could win the first 3 games in this series with STL starting tomorrow. Maybe make Mozeliak feel a little heat and give up more than he wants.

Whoa...don't forget, we've got to get Rios out of here too. Don't need the Pirates scoring too many runs.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 08:52 PM)
Why is anyone surprised JR does not want to pay any money in deals? The ONLY reason Sox are getting better players through the draft is the slotted system or it would be the old draft the guy who will sign the cheapest.

I'm only surprised you beleive what you read. If you are predisposed to think of JR as cheap than reading the Sox won't give up money fits right into you're thinking and you then only judge JR and overlook what you're reading may be untirely untrue. You lose objectivity.

If the Sox trade Peavy and Ramirez, I'd like to see a return that included a RHP ready to join the rotation for 2014, and a power, left handed bat.

I guess if it's St. Louis, one of Wacha, Martinez or Jenkins would work. Wacha is probably unrealistic and Martinez scares me a

little, because of his size. Jenkins is probably obtainable as he is the 3RD ranked RHP in the Card's farm system. However, he probably won't be ready to start in the Big Leagues for another year or two.

Matt Adams could satisfy the need for a power, left handed bat. He's ready and has little more to prove at the Minor League level. But then, how good he'll be as a Big Leaguer is the question, as it is with all prospects.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 09:58 PM)
I think this tweet for gammons is telling

A's not in on Peavy price(Gray, Russell & take on bearly $20M), ditto Boston, ditto Atlanta. Time running down

https://mobile.twitter.com/pgammo/status/361675716460429312

It's ridiculous how much Gammons is used by Boston as a insider to leak information. So he has basically claimed today all 5 teams that were "hot" on Peavy have backed off because of $ and talent. This time of the year is always great for misinformation. I will say this though of all teams that have been reported today that were destinations, not much has come out of beantown, to me that is very telling. I think Boston and Rick are seeing who blinks first. IMO Peavy will either be a Card or will be changing his color of Sox.

Hah...too funny!

For all our Xbox trade scenarios, for the GMs, scouts, and other personnel involved, these deals cost huge amounts of money, and could potentially make or break futures and careers. There has to be some amount of deception, poker playing, misinformation on all sides.

We'll all know soon enough what Peavys true value was. Some team, (I definitely could see the A's with a potential Colon suspension looming), will pay fair value for Jake after all is said and done. Some money might be involved going back to the trading team, but that sounds like the starting point for the Sox, no cash. But the best SP out there should get a return similar to Garza.

The sox do need to trade Peavy, as this offense is pathetic, and few bats in the minors look like they're going to help for awhile. But other teams are desperate for a SP who can make a difference in the playoffs. Peavy is a difference maker. Their need trumps ours right now. And the return should be very solid in terms of players coming back to the sox.

Edited by beck72

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 03:35 AM)
Peter Gammons just tweeted "A's not in on Peavy price is Gray, Russell and take on 20 million, ditto with Boston and Atlanta. Time running down."

Uh oh.

Unless Gammons has been in a coma for a few weeks, that sounds like the beginning asking price for Peavy-not just the a's but all teams who want him. ask for the top prospects, little cash. The price is bound to come down. But this screams Gammons getting info from another team saying the sox are still asking for an outrageous amount-even without knowing if its true-and are going to be stuck with Peavy unless they lower their demands drastically. Trying to make the sox sweat.

Hello everyone! My first post here and it is going to start with a bang.

"In any case, the Orioles' aggression is notable. Sources say the team is even willing to move one of its top prospects, right-hander Dylan Bundy, for the right return.

Bundy, 20, underwent Tommy John surgery last month, but the success rate of pitchers recovering from the operation is quite good. The Chicago Cubs acquired right-hander Arodys Vizcaino from the Atlanta Braves last season just four months after he had the surgery. Vizcaino, 22, was the centerpiece of the package that the Cubs acquired for left-hander Paul Maholm and outfielder Reed Johnson.

What follows is speculation:

The Orioles wouldn't trade Bundy straight-up for say, a year-plus of Peavy, but they might include him as part of a larger package in which they could get another player, perhaps second baseman Gordon Beckham, in return."

- Per Rosenthal.

http://sports.mobile.msn.com/en-us/mlb/art...49&pg1=5001

QUOTE (tylermichels13 @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 07:35 AM)
Hello everyone! My first post here and it is going to start with a bang.

"In any case, the Orioles' aggression is notable. Sources say the team is even willing to move one of its top prospects, right-hander Dylan Bundy, for the right return.

Bundy, 20, underwent Tommy John surgery last month, but the success rate of pitchers recovering from the operation is quite good. The Chicago Cubs acquired right-hander Arodys Vizcaino from the Atlanta Braves last season just four months after he had the surgery. Vizcaino, 22, was the centerpiece of the package that the Cubs acquired for left-hander Paul Maholm and outfielder Reed Johnson.

What follows is speculation:

The Orioles wouldn't trade Bundy straight-up for say, a year-plus of Peavy, but they might include him as part of a larger package in which they could get another player, perhaps second baseman Gordon Beckham, in return."

- Per Rosenthal.

http://sports.mobile.msn.com/en-us/mlb/art...49&pg1=5001

Welcome to Soxtalk!

Peavy has way too much trade value for the centerpiece of a deal to be a guy coming off Tommy John. The success rate is good, but it's no guarantee. It's funny how he says the Orioles wouldn't trade Bundy straight-up for Peavy, but there is no way in hell the Sox would even think about that deal either.

QUOTE (tylermichels13 @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 08:05 AM)
@JeffPassan: Red Sox very much in Jake Peavy sweepstakes. Wouldn't exactly say they're favorites but between motivation and prospects in strong position.

I like to hear that because there is still a bidding war between teams.

Put me in the group that does not like to speculate much unless something happens then we can talk about it, but...

I made a quick search on twitter for the word Peavy last night and what I found was bunch of upset A's fans saying that if Hahn wants prospects Gray and Russell A's better be getting Sale in return and not Peavy.

Can anyone chime in on Gray and Russell for those who don't follow prospects?

QUOTE (tylermichels13 @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 01:05 PM)
@JeffPassan: Red Sox very much in Jake Peavy sweepstakes. Wouldn't exactly say they're favorites but between motivation and prospects in strong position.

Hence the reason for the Peter Gammons tweet. It's all coming along nicely-no worries.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 08:13 AM)
Put me in the group that does not like to speculate much unless something happens then we can talk about it, but...

I made a quick search on twitter for the word Peavy last night and what I found was bunch of upset A's fans saying that if Hahn wants prospects Gray and Russell A's better be getting Sale in return and not Peavy.

Can anyone chime in on Gray and Russell for those who don't follow prospects?

Russell and Gray are their top hitting and top pitching prospects.