2014 Draft class

caulfield12

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 12:08 PM)
I'll add Kolek's numbers.

5 IP 0 H 0 R 0 ER 0 BB 11 SO

Season - 0.00 ERA 15 IP 0 H 0 R 0 ER 1 BB 35 SO (three starts)

And just to compare (as far as high school pitchers).. one of my favorite prospects Touki Toussaint.

4 IP 1 H 1 R 0 ER 1 BB 7 SO

Season - 0.38 ERA 18.1 IP 11 H 5 R 1 ER 8 BB 28 SO

Yea...

21 K/9 LOL :lolhitting

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Keith Law had an insider writeup on C Alex Jackson . Pretty positive outlook. Law says he'd just move him to an OF corner and let him rake.

He says that Brady Aiken looks really good. 6'4 LHP that throws 94-97 with a plus curve. He mentioned that Aiken will be in the top 5-6 mix when it's all said an done.

Law also says that the Marlins have been linked to Tyler Kolek and the Cubs to Tyler Beede.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 02:36 PM)
Keith Law had an insider writeup on C Alex Jackson . Pretty positive outlook. Law says he'd just move him to an OF corner and let him rake.

He says that Brady Aiken looks really good. 6'4 LHP that throws 94-97 with a plus curve. He mentioned that Aiken will be in the top 5-6 mix when it's all said an done.

Law also says that the Marlins have been linked to Tyler Kolek and the Cubs to Tyler Beede.

I see Jackson as a dark-horse for our pick. Kid has some serious potential with the bat.

QUOTE (staxx @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 06:59 PM)
I see Jackson as a dark-horse for our pick. Kid has some serious potential with the bat.

His profile reminds me of Wil Myers, HS catcher that will move to the OF so that he can move as quickly as his bat will carry him. If the Sox drafted him, I would hope it would be to plug him in as a 3B as he would have a lot more long term value there.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Mar 17, 2014 -> 08:06 AM)
Kershaw was a HS grad when drafted by LA. Still very risky, but if Sox can't sign the pick they get a very high pick next year.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be a good pick. Lots of high school pitchers have panned out. I'm just saying in the position the sox are in, picking this high they will not pick a high school player.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 02:36 PM)

Now you know why good hitting catchers are hard to find.

Well Keith Law has a new draft crush...

"Between this spring and last summer I've seen all of the top prospects for this year's draft, including Carlos Rodon, Tyler Beede, Jeff Hoffman, Alex Jackson, Tyler Kolek, and Jacob Gatewood, and I'd take Aiken over all of them. "

He says that he showed four pitches, two of them plus, and projects he will have three grade 60 or better pitches when it's all said and done. 6'4'' lefty, solid build and clean delivery, could be in the mix? I'd still be shocked if the Sox go HS pitcher, but who knows.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 11:17 AM)
Well Keith Law has a new draft crush...

"Between this spring and last summer I've seen all of the top prospects for this year's draft, including Carlos Rodon, Tyler Beede, Jeff Hoffman, Alex Jackson, Tyler Kolek, and Jacob Gatewood, and I'd take Aiken over all of them. "

He says that he showed four pitches, two of them plus, and projects he will have three grade 60 or better pitches when it's all said and done. 6'4'' lefty, solid build and clean delivery, could be in the mix? I'd still be shocked if the Sox go HS pitcher, but who knows.

Thanks for posting this. Just watched video of him, thats a hell of a curve ball he's got. I can see why Law said what he did.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 11:16 AM)
Thanks for posting this. Just watched video of him, thats a hell of a curve ball he's got. I can see why Law said what he did.

A full 8 months younger than Kolek even, a true pup.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 12:24 PM)
A full 8 months younger than Kolek even, a true pup.

Yes he is. I'm pretty high on Kolek but after watching more video of Aiken, I'd say he's right there with Kolek or pretty close. As far as stuff goes, Aiken reminds me a bit of Gio.

Draft day is going to be an exciting day for Sox fans

This is the most recent footage I could find on Aiken, big kid that can add some weight with a really easy delivery.

After Beede I like Aiken over Kolek and Hoffman, Kolek's weight scares me and Hoffman's lackluster results against mediocre competition raises a lot of red flags for me.

It must be a very stressful thing for scouts to decide on just one guy. Such a crapshoot when the arms are all good, and the level of competition varies from player to player.

Seems like a big horse college pitcher is a safe bet, and then just hope he stays healthy.

I really liked everything that I read about Hoffman before his season started, but it has failed to translate to on the field success to this point in the season. I still like what he offers but I would rather see the Sox take Beede at this point.

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 02:53 PM)
I really liked everything that I read about Hoffman before his season started, but it has failed to translate to on the field success to this point in the season. I still like what he offers but I would rather see the Sox take Beede at this point.

Welcome to the board!

I'm still very undecided on my favorites right now. I seem to be going back and forth. But I'm excited to watch Beede pitch later this season against Tennessee. We have a pretty talented offense (albeit young), so it should be a nice match-up.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 09:53 PM)
Rongey was talking about Gillaspie's brother a little bit on the radio. He's a large human being. Switch hitting first baseman. Off to a good start.

http://www.goshockers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205302891

I'm not sure if he's good enough for the second round, but maybe he's someone to keep an eye on.

I really like when teams take family members of current organizational players, as long as they are round-appropriate. If we can get him in the 3rd RD and he's projected in that area, then I'd love to get him. I think it truly gets the best out of both players, at least morale speaking. I'm not sure Jordan Danks would have come as far as he has in another organization, or if his older brother didn't play baseball.

This weeks games:

Newcomb - v Binghamton 11 am (Saturday) - Named America East Pitcher of the Week

Hoffman @ Charlotte 5 pm - Live stats at uncgspartans.com

Rodon @ Maryland 5pm

Beede @ #21 Miss. St - TV CSS - 6:30 pm

Edited by IowaSoxFan

Law has his first prospect rankings (top 50) for the draft up:

1 Brady Aiken

2 Kolek

3 Rodon

4 Beede

5 Grant Holmes - Plus fastball that he can run up to 98 with great feel and control.

6 Hoffman

7 Jackson

Others of notw

15 Newcomb

19 Gatewood

20 Turner

39 Toussaint