2014 Draft class

caulfield12

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I want to see Grayson Greiner (21) and Joey Pankake (9) get draft by the Sox. Greiner is the catcher for South Carolina. Pankake is 3rd baseman, left fielder this season after being the shortstop last year.

g_and_p.JPG

Edited by CrazyG

I think it was Quinarvy who got me hooked on a prep catcher for our 2nd RD pick. I am forgetting his name at this moment, but I think he was either a lefty power guy, or a switch hitting power catcher who was good defensively. I'll look him up and edit this post.

EDIT: Found him. Not a lefty, or a switch-hitter, so I'm not sure why I thought that, but his name is Jakson Reetz.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v31230535/draft-rep...tcheroutfielder

So Reetz or Conor Gillaspie's brother, Casey, would be nice picks to get in the 2nd RD.

Edited by Chilihead90

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 11:19 PM)
I think it was Quinarvy who got me hooked on a prep catcher for our 2nd RD pick. I am forgetting his name at this moment, but I think he was either a lefty power guy, or a switch hitting power catcher who was good defensively. I'll look him up and edit this post.

Jakson Reetz I presume.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 11:32 PM)
Would you guys be interested in Nick Burdi with our 2nd round pick? Local kid who's having a great year at Louisville, just doesn't start, he's their closer.

No, I don't like drafting relievers in any round. I'd rather draft a fringe starter than a regular closer. Maybe that's too old school thinking, but I want my bullpen full of failed starters.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 11:32 PM)
Would you guys be interested in Nick Burdi with our 2nd round pick? Local kid who's having a great year at Louisville, just doesn't start, he's their closer.

Nope. Nothing against Burdi, but he makes more sense to a contending team that can fast-track him to the big league bullpen. He's a safe bet to provide value for his drafting team, but he is and will only be a reliever.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 10:32 PM)

See Royce Ring and Aaron Poreda to a lesser extent. (Like the punter/kicker/special teams guy in the early rounds in the NFL.)

However, Josh Fogg was drafted as a closer out of Florida and became a very decent 3/4 major league starter.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 11:36 PM)
No, I don't like drafting relievers in any round. I'd rather draft a fringe starter than a regular closer. Maybe that's too old school thinking, but I want my bullpen full of failed starters.

No relief pitchers in the first several rounds.

EDIT: Found him. Not a lefty, or a switch-hitter, so I'm not sure why I thought that, but his name is Jakson Reetz.

So Reetz or Conor Gillaspie's brother, Casey, would be nice picks to get in the 2nd RD.

Yup, Reetz. Athletic and should remain at catcher.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 10:33 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=2957073:date=Apr 14, 2014 -> 11:19 PM:name=Chilihead90)-->
<!--quotec-->I think it was Quinarvy who got me hooked on a prep catcher for our 2nd RD pick. I am forgetting his name at this moment, but I think he was either a lefty power guy, or a switch hitting power catcher who was good defensively. I'll look him up and edit this post.

Yup, Reetz. Athletic and should remain at catcher.

Kids hot.

Those of you who follow me on Twitter saw me voice my displeasure over NC State's usage of left-hander Carlos Rodon, the best college player in this year's draft class, on Friday night. Rodon, who has pitched with a 50- or 55-rated fastball all year, was going on short rest on Friday, but showed up (paradoxically) with more velocity, sitting at 92-94 mph and touching 96.

NC State then decided to push Rodon to 134 pitches, sending him back out to start his final inning after he'd already thrown 118 pitches, an acceptable, if upper-bound, number for a 21-year-old pitcher. This was a clear example of a coaching staff putting their own interests over those of a pitcher, a perfect example of moral hazard at work in amateur baseball, one that calls for regulation by the NCAA.

The Wolfpack, despite having two of the best college players in the country this year, are 5-11 in the ACC so far (19-14 overall) and in danger of missing the NCAA tournament, a result that would be devastating given their talent level. The potential cost of missing the tournament is so high that the coaching staff has the incentive to try to win at all costs, including asking players to do things that may not be in their own best interests, such as throwing 134 pitches in one outing. Only one MLB pitcher did that in all of 2013: Tim Lincecum, in his July 13 no-hitter. (In fact, since the start of the 2010 season, only four MLB pitchers have thrown 134 or more pitches. Three were no-hitters, one was Brandon Morrow's 17-strikeout one-hitter in 2010, and all four spread those pitches over nine innings rather than Rodon's 7 2/3 innings.)

Keith Law, insider blog, espn.com/mlb

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 11:36 PM)

Addison Reed was drafted as a closer

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 06:00 PM)
I came across this article that states Rick Hahn was recently at one of Kolek's games to watch him in person, seems like there is some serious interest in Kolek on the Sox' end.

Hahn stated at one point that they had been scouting about half of a dozen different kids pretty heavily for the #3 pick.

My ChiSox Mock for June:

1.3. Tyler Beede, RHP, Vandy

2.47. Grayson Greiner, C, South Carolina

3.83. Milton Ramos, SS, FL-HS

4.114. Jake Cosart, RHP, Seminole State

5.144. Chris Harvey, C Vandy

6.174. Bennett Sousa, LHP, FL-HS

7.204. Ben Wetzler, LHP, Oregon State

8.234. Darius Day, CF, IL-HS

9.264. Austin Slater, 3B, Stanford

10.294. Grant Watson, LHP, UCLA

I know most people are expecting the Sox to take a pitcher at #3 but if both Kolek and Aiken are off the board at that point I'd like them to take a hard look at Alex Jackson. High school position players are always a boom or bust proposition but this kid looks like a monster in waiting.

and
. The main thing I notice is how quiet his stance and swing is, he takes a shallow stride but is still able to generate huge power. He reminds me a lot of a right-handed Joey Votto.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 10:37 AM)
I'm really starting to like the idea of Tyler Kolek in a Sox uniform...

I would be quite surprised if Aiken and Kolek go 1 and 2. It would be the first time ever a HS pitcher went 1-1 correct? Say Aiken/Rondon go 1-2, it will be fascinating seeing Sox decide between Kolek/Hoffman/Beede.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 11:09 AM)
I would be quite surprised if Aiken and Kolek go 1 and 2. It would be the first time ever a HS pitcher went 1-1 correct? Say Aiken/Rondon go 1-2, it will be fascinating seeing Sox decide between Kolek/Hoffman/Beede.

Yankees took Brien Taylor number one overall in 1991. Did not work out well.