2014 Draft class

caulfield12

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 31, 2014 -> 04:54 AM)
If he were clearly the best player in the draft, I would agree. However, that does not appear to be the case, by all of the various mock draft projections. If only it were that simple.

I just happen to prefer Kolek, and a little better balance, in respect to "handedness", is something about which I have often expressed my wishes. The only major draw back is that he is just 18, and therefore so far away from being able to contribute.

And please, it's not "Dude". it's Lillian, or Ma'am. Thank you.

Chances are the teams picking ahead make the decision for you. Personally, Rodon would be my top choice, and if the White Sox ever passed on a pitcher because he was too similar to Chris Sale, the person who made that decision, really shouldn't be allowed to make decisions ever again.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 31, 2014 -> 06:06 AM)
Chances are the teams picking ahead make the decision for you. Personally, Rodon would be my top choice, and if the White Sox ever passed on a pitcher because he was too similar to Chris Sale, the person who made that decision, really shouldn't be allowed to make decisions ever again.

Yes, I agree. If that guy were "like" Chris Sale, and as good at being Chris Sale as Chris Sale is himself, then yeah, take him. Question is: Is Rodon really going to be anywhere as good as Sale? I don't know. That's the gamble with the Draft, isn't it.

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 31, 2014 -> 04:54 AM)
If he were clearly the best player in the draft, I would agree. However, that does not appear to be the case, by all of the various mock draft projections. If only it were that simple.

I just happen to prefer Kolek, and a little better balance, in respect to "handedness", is something about which I have often expressed my wishes. The only major draw back is that he is just 18, and therefore so far away from being able to contribute.

And please, it's not "Dude". it's Lillian, or Ma'am. Thank you.

My apologies on calling you a "Dude". Anyways, the only major drawback of a prospect being 18 is not just being far away, it's also that they are less of a known commodity. What I mean is that there is a lot more projectability with a high school pitcher and there's also a risk if they're arm will hold up over the next 3-4 years. Don't get me wrong, I'll be happy if we end up with Kolek and even more so Aiken, as both are elite high school talents, but Rodon is a much more complete product and his arm has proven to be able to handle the stresses of pitching in his 19 to 21 age years. On top of that, like you said he's much closer to being a contributor, probably as soon as next year. Also, it's like we're not taking about some average talent here, Rodon had been the consensus 1-1 pick in the 2014 draft for a long time prior to his slow start and Aiken's jump up the boards this year. Rodon may not work out, just like any other pitching prospect, but I think he has by far the best mix of ceiling and floor in this draft and would make the ideal 1-1 pick. To get him at 1-3 would be an absolute steal IMO.

As a NC state grad and NC resident, I've been watching Rodon pitch his whole career now. It's remarkable that we might have a chance to pick him- would be amazing. My favorite outing for him was when he pitched for Team USA last summer against Cuba at the Durham Bulls park.

Beede was filthy last night. 8.0 IP 4 H 0 R 2 BB 14 SO. If those command issues ever get straightened out he's going to be real good. If the Sox were picking later in the 1st round, he would be an ideal target.

Video compilation showing each strikeout from last night.

http://www.vucommodores.com/allaccess/?media=447832

Edited by DirtySox

I still want Kolek the most & am liking that there's more out there now about the Sox wanting him. The Nola stuff was scary to me.

IF Kenny/Rick/Jerry feel they'll get Rodon at a price which allows them to still make use of their overall draft figure (because IMO it's absurd to blow that $9M wad on pretty much one guy) then one of the three, I'll take that all day. Rodon has all the talent, just the threat of demanding a #1 bonus or something, that scares me. Especially when there's deep pitching overall in the draft.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ May 31, 2014 -> 10:21 AM)
I still want Kolek the most & am liking that there's more out there now about the Sox wanting him. The Nola stuff was scary to me.

IF Kenny/Rick/Jerry feel they'll get Rodon at a price which allows them to still make use of their overall draft figure (because IMO it's absurd to blow that $9M wad on pretty much one guy) then one of the three, I'll take that all day. Rodon has all the talent, just the threat of demanding a #1 bonus or something, that scares me. Especially when there's deep pitching overall in the draft.

I think Nola is being undersold a bit. Plenty of publications think he's worthy of the number 3 pick. He might not have an ace ceiling, but maybe a number 2. He can touch mid 90's, has pinpoint command, and 2 plus pitches with a chance for 3. Do the White Sox thing and work on a cutter, see what happens. He could likely be placed in the rotation next year and hold his own. He will be one of the first draft picks of this class in the majors without question. The arm slot seems to be the only knock on him from what I can tell. I wouldn't take him over an Aiken or Rodon, but perhaps over Kolek. I would not be unhappy with a Nola selection. Especially if he's underslotted to spread some money around.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ May 31, 2014 -> 11:32 AM)
Is it possible that with Rodon, they could make a deal where he makes less and is promised a late call-up this season (even if it is in the bullpen just to get experience)? Like how the Sox handled Chris Sale.

Not out of the question I'd say.

Anyone listen to buddy bell on White Sox Weekly this AM? God I hate hearing him speak.

Anyways, I didn't catch it all but there should be 0 doubt left we are going pitcher, if there wasn't already. "This is the best pitching class he's ever seen...blah blah blah". For the second pick they were targeting a few pitchers who they thought might happen to fall out of the first round due to the number of talented arms. They aren't concerned over one pitcher's injury risk to another's.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 1, 2014 -> 07:20 AM)
Just read an interesting report on players to avoid in first round. Gatewood, Toussaint, Fedde, Beede, Harrison, Kopeck.

5 days to go.

Well, I would HOPE Fedde would be on the list, due to that TJ surgery.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Jun 1, 2014 -> 10:35 AM)
Getting excited for the draft for the first time in my lifetime, (26) due to the high pick. I'm good with any of the big 3.

I'm excited about the upside of the pick, but when it comes to young pitchers, I'm not penciling anyone's name into a future rotation until he's made 10 healthy/good starts at Birmingham.

Teams always need pitching, and it's the right move in this draft, but it sucks there isn't a Longoria or Bryant this time around--at least not considered that good right now.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jun 1, 2014 -> 03:39 PM)
Any interesting college arms throwing today? Wish I watched Nola's start yesterday. Caught a little of Weavers.

how did they, both pitcher performed?? any recap?

many thanks

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 1, 2014 -> 10:43 AM)
I'm excited about the upside of the pick, but when it comes to young pitchers, I'm not penciling anyone's name into a future rotation until he's made 10 healthy/good starts at Birmingham.

Teams always need pitching, and it's the right move in this draft, but it sucks there isn't a Longoria or Bryant this time around--at least not considered that good right now.

Oh by no means do I think it's a lock for the rotation. Just going to be nice because we need a great young pitcher to go with Sale, Q.