Jesse Crain dealt to Tampa Bay

southsider2k5

WTH? So we traded him for... things to be figured out later??? How the hell does that work? I've never heard of such a thing. Is there some sort of element in place to dictate what kind of deal can be worked out? I mean, say he comes back and ends up right back on the DL... what do we get then? How can something like this even work?

How bizarre...

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Baseball America had Mahtook in the Rays 2016 starting lineup in their prospect ranking last November. That was before acquiring Myers. Take it for whatever that's worth.

But right now its all speculation, right?

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 09:31 PM)
Baseball America had Mahtook in the Rays 2016 starting lineup in their prospect ranking last November. That was before acquiring Myers. Take it for whatever that's worth.

But right now its all speculation, right?

It's not even that, it was John Sickels taking a stab at the level of prospect we could get.

QUOTE (TheBigHurtIsBack @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 02:30 AM)
WTH? So we traded him for... things to be figured out later??? How the hell does that work? I've never heard of such a thing. Is there some sort of element in place to dictate what kind of deal can be worked out? I mean, say he comes back and ends up right back on the DL... what do we get then? How can something like this even work?

How bizarre...

Haven't you heard of the age-old trade for a "player to be named later?" It has been very common in baseball history. I'm assuming like many have said that there are two lists the Sox can pick a player or two from - one if Crain indeed resumes pitching in games and another if he doesn't. I can't imagine them "working something out" later based on Crain's effectiveness. Certainly it's pretty cut and dried. It almost has to be, right? I mean there's no way they are going to evaluate Crain based on whether he's a key cog in them making the playoffs and/or winning the WS then sending us a player based on what he did for Tampa.

I also would bet if the Rays want to trade any of the players on either list they have to clear it with the Sox. Just an educated guess. Anybody agree??

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 07:12 PM)
Anyone know anything about these guys?

Joe Ostrowski ‏@JoeO670 9m

John Sickels(@MinorLeagueBall) guesses #WhiteSox will get Mikie Mahtook & Parker Markel for Jesse Crain. http://sbn.to/13UVZiX #Rays

Collapse

mlb.com...

For two years in a row, starting with Mahtook and continuing with Richie Shaffer, the Rays were pleasantly surprised to have a top college bat still around for them in the later stages of the first round. This LSU star had a solid, albeit not spectacular, first full pro season, playing at two levels and reaching Double-A. A center fielder in college, he saw most of his time in 2012 in right field and definitely seems better suited for a corner spot. He does have above-average speed and with his good instincts on the bases, he's a threat to steal. While he didn't show a ton of power during his debut, the ball does jump off his bat and he has definite extra-base pop. He also has some overall hitting ability, though he'll have to tone down his approach a bit to reach his offensive potential. A former high school football player, he brings that kind of intensity to the baseball field regularly.

Getting ready for football season.

How bizarre...

We don't have the details, but my guess is something like this:

For the rest of the regular season,

If Crain pitches in 0-9 games, Sox get cash only and no player

If Crain pitches in 10-19 games, Sox get player X at the end of the season

If Crain pitches in 20+ games, Sox get players X and Y at the end of the season

TB has to agree not to trade players X and Y to anybody else for the rest of the season.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 06:42 AM)
We don't have the details, but my guess is something like this:

For the rest of the regular season,

If Crain pitches in 0-9 games, Sox get cash only and no player

If Crain pitches in 10-19 games, Sox get player X at the end of the season

If Crain pitches in 20+ games, Sox get players X and Y at the end of the season

TB has to agree not to trade players X and Y to anybody else for the rest of the season.

Keith Law speculated on BBTN that if he doesn't pitch or hardly pitches, we'll get 25K or something just to make it technically a trade with the commissioner's office

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 06:40 AM)
So did we give up money in this deal? If so, I don't understand why we'd potentially get money back as part of the return. Maybe they mean international bonus money?

We did give up money to cover part of the contract in the deal.

I just wanted to come on here to post about Mikie Mahtook. I really hope that's who we get. I'm a long time White Sox fan here in Baton Rouge, LA.

Mahtook is IMO exactly the type of player we need more of. He has a very good, very fast bat. But best of all, he's a blazer that only know how to play at one speed. He never takes a play off. Check out some of his youtube clips:

That's just him, all the time.

And if you're interested, some of his LSU highlights:

I know his stats aren't spectacular thus far, and he's a college guy you would hope to move up fast. But I really think he's a special player. One of those guys that just makes the team better in so many ways. Helped LSU win the 2009 college world series. If nothing else, he's most definitely a guy that can get on, steal second, and score on a hit. Something I would like to see more of. Well, scoring in general.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 06:44 AM)
Keith Law speculated on BBTN that if he doesn't pitch or hardly pitches, we'll get 25K or something just to make it technically a trade with the commissioner's office

That means that Tampa absorbs zero of the risk that he can't return from the DL. Thus, if gets healthy and pitches , we should get closer to the package of players we would have gotten were he not on the DL.

QUOTE (Jon1798 @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 10:05 AM)
I just wanted to come on here to post about Mikie Mahtook. I really hope that's who we get. I'm a long time White Sox fan here in Baton Rouge, LA.

Mahtook is IMO exactly the type of player we need more of. He has a very good, very fast bat. But best of all, he's a blazer that only know how to play at one speed. He never takes a play off. Check out some of his youtube clips:

That's just him, all the time.

And if you're interested, some of his LSU highlights:

I know his stats aren't spectacular thus far, and he's a college guy you would hope to move up fast. But I really think he's a special player. One of those guys that just makes the team better in so many ways. Helped LSU win the 2009 college world series. If nothing else, he's most definitely a guy that can get on, steal second, and score on a hit. Something I would like to see more of. Well, scoring in general.

Welcome to Soxtalk!

QUOTE (hi8is @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 01:51 AM)
I'd love to have this guy on the Sox.

Never seen someone as pumped up after making plays.

We need this energy - it's infectious.

Good players are infectious. Darin Erstad certainly didn't help the Sox win, but he brought plenty of energy to the table

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 09:17 AM)
Good players are infectious. Darin Erstad certainly didn't help the Sox win, but he brought plenty of energy to the table

By "Infectious" you mean brought a disease into that 2007 team that crippled it, right?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 08:19 AM)
By "Infectious" you mean brought a disease into that 2007 team that crippled it, right?

In Erstad's case, yes. I hated that move from the second it happened. I still have a PM I sent Kalapse right after it saying how much I hated the move and that it would be OK if he were used properly but that Ozzie would totally start him and he would be the ultimate suck.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 08:22 AM)
In Erstad's case, yes. I hated that move from the second it happened. I still have a PM I sent Kalapse right after it saying how much I hated the move and that it would be OK if he were used properly but that Ozzie would totally start him and he would be the ultimate suck.

I can vouch for this.