Rios, $1M traded to Rangers

PolishPrince34

The funny thing is (and a favorite topic of yours truly) that our attendance has been ONLY 1,000 fans below our rate from last season, with one of THE WORST and least memorable seasons in Sox history, even much worse than 2007 because of the lack of proximity to 2005 AND the lack of "exciting" young rookies like Josh Fields, Owens, Andy Gonzalez and Ehren Wasserman.

So either the reduced ticket prices (especially on Sundays/family days) have mitigated the losses, or we did an incredibly poor job of marketing last year's team or getting anyone to believe in them.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 04:17 PM)
The funny thing is (and a favorite topic of yours truly) that our attendance has been ONLY 1,000 fans below our rate from last season, with one of THE WORST and least memorable seasons in Sox history, even much worse than 2007 because of the lack of proximity to 2005 AND the lack of "exciting" young rookies like Josh Fields, Owens, Andy Gonzalez and Ehren Wasserman.

So either the reduced ticket prices (especially on Sundays/family days) have mitigated the losses, or we did an incredibly poor job of marketing last year's team or getting anyone to believe in them.

I went to so many games last year, was so happy I could get good cheap seats all the time

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 02:14 PM)
I know it's a thread derail but may I ask why? I actually think a 2 year deal with an option for a 3rd to Granderson would make a ton of sense for the Sox next year if they move Rios or De Aza somewhere. You plug Granderson in wherever you want, DH or OF slot, getting a ton of at bats thanks to Dunn occasionally playing 1b and Garcia and Viciedo both being righties. He then slides to the primary DH spot in place of Dunn the next year.

I think his numbers are inflated, he's an injury risk, he's old, and he's going to command something in the $13-15 million range. Not the direction we need to go in if we're trading Alex Rios to the Rangers right now.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 05:20 PM)
I think his numbers are inflated, he's an injury risk, he's old, and he's going to command something in the $13-15 million range. Not the direction we need to go in if we're trading Alex Rios to the Rangers right now.

Yeah I agree his numbers are inflated but I was figuring with his career numbers and his injury problems this year he might be closer to the $10 million range. I'd guess that most teams would look at him and think he's no longer a guy that should be playing every day in the field. That's how I'm looking at him.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 04:20 PM)

I agree with all of this. He just isn't what he once was, and we've got outfielders that need at bats. There's a price where it makes sense -- low enough that you can dump him and not feel like your hands are tied -- but I don't think that his price will get that low.

If the Sox were only getting prospect-but-we-need-salary-relief offers at the deadline, then we have some leverage now.

If the Sox were able to get the whole contract taken at the deadline, but couldnt make a deal...then right now nothing has changed and we have zero leverage.

Texas meanwhile sent out these weird signals recently that they would try to sell off some of their veteran talent this coming offseason, i.e. disgust (already) with Garza and so on....so who knows what to believe from them

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 02:23 PM)
Yeah I agree his numbers are inflated but I was figuring with his career numbers and his injury problems this year he might be closer to the $10 million range. I'd guess that most teams would look at him and think he's no longer a guy that should be playing every day in the field. That's how I'm looking at him.

If I'm paying someone $10 mill I want him playing every day not some broken down K machine who's best days are very much behind him.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 05:36 PM)
So many replies in this thread, not sure if it was already noted that apparently Rios went on waivers Monday, so a deal is done today or tomorrow or not at all

https://twitter.com/DannyKnoblerCBS/status/...569974179340288

There are some disagreeing reports about how long the teams actually have. I've found articles from 2009 saying that the time to make a deal is 72 hours and the time on waivers is 48 hours, that could give the Sox maybe all weekend if the weekend isn't counted as business time. But, that could have changed in the last CBA.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 04:39 PM)
There are some disagreeing reports about how long the teams actually have. I've found articles from 2009 saying that the time to make a deal is 72 hours and the time on waivers is 48 hours, that could give the Sox maybe all weekend if the weekend isn't counted as business time. But, that could have changed in the last CBA.

Either way, if he went on waivers Monday, then a deal has to be done by Saturday right?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 05:42 PM)
Either way, if he went on waivers Monday, then a deal has to be done by Saturday right?

It depends. I've heard before that MLB doesn't count weekend days as "business days" so they don't count against that clock, but this is all very opaque.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 02:39 PM)

I think it depends when he was claimed? Maybe the clock starts then?

The timeline kind of interests me here. So Texas claimed Rios earlier in the week, yet the news didnt break til now. So maybe they had a lets-keep-it-quiet agreement initially

Now maybe the Sox are leaking it so as to make the Texas fandom antsy and throw on some pressure.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 05:44 PM)
I think it depends when he was claimed? Maybe the clock starts then?

I don't think that's the way it works, I think it actually goes the full 48 hours from when he's put on waivers, because otherwise it'd be a race; they wait the full 48 hours and then see which team has claimed him in the order of their losses and leagues.

If the Braves had claimed him Monday night and the Rangers claimed him Wednesday morning, the Rangers would still have won that claim. If the Astros for some reason claimed him 47:59 into the clock, the Astros get him.

After looking at their numbers, If i'm Texas, I am likely not dealing Sardinas AND taking in Rios's remaining contract. However, if I'm Texas, I would eat his entire salary AND deal Odor to make sure this deal gets done.

Odor is probably more highly regarded than Sardinas. Better production, more power, and a year younger.

Rangers Claim Rios – Trade Unlikley

Major League sources have confirmed that the Rangers claimed White Sox OF Alex Rios on trade waivers. The Rangers have until tomorrow to complete a trade for Rios, but sources say a deal is not likely. The two sides had multiple discussions before the non-waiver trade deadline but could not a agree on a deal. The White Sox were asking for Pitcher Martin Perez, Pitcher Luke Jackson and Infielder Rougned Odor – the Rangers were not interested in parting with those players for Rios.

In other trade news: former Ranger infielder Michael Young has cleared waivers. The Rangers discussed trading for Young before the Non-Waiver deadline in July, but there were significant differences among the baseball Rangers baseball personel about that potentional acquisition and they never got close to making a deal for Young.

The Rangers are still hoping that Lance Berkman will be able to return to the lineup in the next week to 10 days.

More on the website later.

This was on TR Sullivan's twitter account. TR Sullivan ‏@Sullivan_Ranger 2m

Rangers Claim Rios - Trade Unlikley http://wp.me/p1rXwL-8WMY

I would actually take 1 of Odor or Jackson in a heartbeat.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 02:46 PM)
I don't think that's the way it works, I think it actually goes the full 48 hours from when he's put on waivers, because otherwise it'd be a race; they wait the full 48 hours and then see which team has claimed him in the order of their losses and leagues.

If the Braves had claimed him Monday night and the Rangers claimed him Wednesday morning, the Rangers would still have won that claim. If the Astros for some reason claimed him 47:59 into the clock, the Astros get him.

Ahh, gotcha. I was thinking about the ordering incorrectly...if they did it the way I was thinking, you would know when some teams have passed on claiming.

My bad.