Rios, $1M traded to Rangers

PolishPrince34

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 01:40 PM)
So, does Chris Sale sucks? Heck, he doesn't have a winning record! Why should we get anything?

Actually someone used that as a reason when explaining why they wouldnt trade a top prospect for Sale to me. As for this trade fine I guess. As long as we can throw Greg in the deal.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 01:42 PM)
the one thing everyone on here will agree with is that Hahn better have a creative plan for using this money. His initial explanation after trading Peavy of saving money to spend on amateur players was a pretty silly explanation.

Sad thing is I think Reinsdorf didn't allow Hahn to put any money in these deals completely hog tied what he could do in trades.

QUOTE (shipps @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 07:37 PM)
The players on this team have proved to be the worst team in the league. When you start trading said players why the heck would anyone expect to get someone to give you anything near their top talent? We are extremely lucky to have these other teams desperate enough to take on the contractsit'sood job Hahn.

Reallllllly? Why would the team's performance have anything to do with it. Turning two above average to great major leaguers into essentially Avisail Garcia and cash is a poor return no matter how some homers want to spin it. That said it is far from the end of the world and can work out in our favor but that will have to wait until the offseason. Right now it's a mediocre at the very best.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 02:43 PM)
Sad thing is I think Reinsdorf didn't allow Hahn to put any money in these deals completely hog tied what he could do in trades.

The only team out of the list that the Sox traded with who aren't already big spending was the Rays. $2-3 million really doesn't matter to the Red Sox or Rangers right now nearly as much as the guys they have in their system.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 01:44 PM)
I think you just ruined everyone's day (besides Greg)

There is a limit to spending on international players unless you have us giving out a monster contract like the Phillies did.

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (Baron @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 07:45 PM)
There is a limit to spending on international players unless you have us giving out a monster contract like the Phillies did.

Exactly, so unless some international players over 23 (I believe that's the date) are going to become available, the amount Hahn can spend is limited.

So if Garcia starts toinght instead of waiting until Sept 1st, how does that affect his arbitration clock? Does that make this year count? That sucks for 20 days of baseball. Do I have this right?

He's already got some service time with Detroit.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 02:45 PM)
So if Garcia starts toinght instead of waiting until Sept 1st, how does that affect his arbitration clock? Does that make this year count? That sucks for 20 days of baseball. Do I have this right?

He's already played this season, I believe.

I think this was the inevietable conclusion. No one else in the AL was going to claim Rios. Texas claiming him was probably thinking the Sox would basically give him away for nothing. I also think Hahn knew if someone claimed Rios, he was going to be a goner no matter what. The Sox traded Carlos Quentin, a guy I would rather have for a few million less than Rios is making in the winter and got Simon Castro. Would paying Rios $4 million for the rest of this season just so you may have a shot at someone Castro-like make any sense?

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 07:45 PM)
Doesn't sound very promising if it's only PTBNL - unless it's a guy on the 40 man.

It's almost assuredly Leury Garcia, a weak hitting utility player with a bit of speed and not much else.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 11:49 AM)
I think this was the inevietable conclusion. No one else in the AL was going to claim Rios. Texas claiming him was probably thinking the Sox would basically give him away for nothing. I also think Hahn knew if someone claimed Rios, he was going to be a goner no matter what. The Sox traded Carlos Quentin, a guy I would rather have for a few million less than Rios is making in the winter and got Simon Castro. Would paying Rios $4 million for the rest of this season just so you may have a shot at someone Castro-like make any sense?

No.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 06:49 PM)

the writing was on the wall with Rios getting dealt once Stone started bashing him in public.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 11:44 AM)
Reallllllly? Why would the team's performance have anything to do with it. Turning two above average to great major leaguers into essentially Avisail Garcia and cash is a poor return no matter how some homers want to spin it. That said it is far from the end of the world and can work out in our favor but that will have to wait until the offseason. Right now it's a mediocre at the very best.

Some might look at it as you being the homer. You think Rios was worth more and the only scenario in him being worth more is the Sox competing in 2014 . Not real sure that was very likely .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 01:49 PM)
Oh, and btw, I'll take the cash instead of Garcia.

So you are saying you dont want a player, for no reason at all?

Rated Fastest Baserunner in the Texas Rangers system after the 2009 seasonRated Best Defensive Infielder in the Texas Rangers system after the 2009 seasonRated Best Infield Arm in the Texas Rangers system after the 2009 seasonRated Best Infield Arm in the Texas Rangers system after the 2010 seasonRated Fastest Baserunner in the Texas Rangers system after the 2010 seasonRated Fastest Baserunner in the Texas Rangers system after the 2011 seasonRated Best Infield Arm in the Texas Rangers system after the 2011 seasonRated Fastest Baserunner in the Texas Rangers system after the 2012 seasonRated Best Infield Arm in the Texas Rangers system after the 2012 season