Rios, $1M traded to Rangers

PolishPrince34

Doesn't the player on the Rangers 40 man that needs to clean waivers only have to get past the Astros. We discussed this earlier in the thread. If the Astros pass on the player, the Sox claim him and all is done, correct?

Except that the Astros are going to claim just about any pre-arb player on any other team's 40 man roster.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 01:51 PM)
So you are saying you dont want a player, for no reason at all?

Rated Fastest Baserunner in the Texas Rangers system after the 2009 seasonRated Best Defensive Infielder in the Texas Rangers system after the 2009 seasonRated Best Infield Arm in the Texas Rangers system after the 2009 seasonRated Best Infield Arm in the Texas Rangers system after the 2010 seasonRated Fastest Baserunner in the Texas Rangers system after the 2010 seasonRated Fastest Baserunner in the Texas Rangers system after the 2011 seasonRated Best Infield Arm in the Texas Rangers system after the 2011 seasonRated Fastest Baserunner in the Texas Rangers system after the 2012 seasonRated Best Infield Arm in the Texas Rangers system after the 2012 season

So he is fast and has a good arm. Sounds like he would be a great college quarterback.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 01:46 PM)
Exactly, so unless some international players over 23 (I believe that's the date) are going to become available, the amount Hahn can spend is limited.

I'm jumping to justification mode already, but is there anybody that's really worth it for the Sox to sign this offseason? Cano would be awesome, but not at $23 mill over 8-10 years, because he's going to be a 1B at the end of that next contract.

Really, the place you need to fill is CF. That's priority #1, 2, and 3 as far as I'm concerned.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 07:51 PM)

Rated Fastest Baserunner in the Texas Rangers system after the 2009 seasonRated Best Defensive Infielder in the Texas Rangers system after the 2009 seasonRated Best Infield Arm in the Texas Rangers system after the 2009 seasonRated Best Infield Arm in the Texas Rangers system after the 2010 seasonRated Fastest Baserunner in the Texas Rangers system after the 2010 seasonRated Fastest Baserunner in the Texas Rangers system after the 2011 seasonRated Best Infield Arm in the Texas Rangers system after the 2011 seasonRated Fastest Baserunner in the Texas Rangers system after the 2012 seasonRated Best Infield Arm in the Texas Rangers system after the 2012 season

Career OPS .657

Edited by chunk23

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 01:51 PM)

I am fine with him as a fielder as far as the base running part you cannot steal first base very weak hitting.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 06:53 PM)
I'm jumping to justification mode already, but is there anybody that's really worth it for the Sox to sign this offseason? Cano would be awesome, but not at $23 mill over 8-10 years, because he's going to be a 1B at the end of that next contract.

Really, the place you need to fill is CF. That's priority #1, 2, and 3 as far as I'm concerned.

I'd love Ellsbury, as he'd be the perfect fit. However, it seems like that would be a huge long shot. Morales seems like a real good fit as well.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 01:44 PM)
Reallllllly? Why would the team's performance have anything to do with it. Turning two above average to great major leaguers into essentially Avisail Garcia and cash is a poor return no matter how some homers want to spin it. That said it is far from the end of the world and can work out in our favor but that will have to wait until the offseason. Right now it's a mediocre at the very best.

LOL did you just refer to Rios as a great major leaguer. This team is not filled with a ton of assets and the average player like Rios sox fans over value because he may be the best on our roster sadly. Dont you think Hahn did all he could trying to find a team willing to give SOMETHING he liked in their minor leagues for Rios? Not to mention Rios hasnt helped the Sox at all with his attitude.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 02:53 PM)
So he is fast and has a good arm. Sounds like he would be a great college quarterback.

I was one guy who wanted to get something solid back for Rios, and I'll take Leonys as a decent return. It fills a need, has some talent, and grades well on several tools. He also makes the roster work a lot better if Semien makes the big leagues next year.

QUOTE (shipps @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 06:55 PM)
LOL did you just refer to Rios as a great major leaguer. This team is not filled with a ton of assets and the average player like Rios sox fans over value because he may be the best on our roster sadly. Dont you think Hahn did all he could trying to find a team willing to give SOMETHING he liked in their minor leagues for Rios? Not to mention Rios has helped the Sox at all with his attitude.

Just remember, at the deadline, it sounded like the Pirates wanted the Sox to pay a significant portion of Rios' contract while only giving them organization filler in return.

That 40 man roster would look awfully goofy with 87 players on it

Right, but I think they realize that most of those guys are going to get pulled back, and if not, then they just keep the best 40 and send the rest back through waivers.

The point is that even though the Sox have second priority, anybody worth getting from Texas is not getting past Houston.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 02:55 PM)
I'd love Ellsbury, as he'd be the perfect fit. However, it seems like that would be a huge long shot. Morales seems like a real good fit as well.

Now that the Sox no longer have an OF logjam, yeah I think they're probably a very likely destination for Morales. That makes about as much sense as Rios to the Rangers did.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 01:55 PM)

I'd love Morales on the Sox. They need to add lefties to this lineup in a big way.

I think one of De Aza and Viciedo will be traded this offseason as well.

MLB.com's T.R. Sullivan reports that the Rangers will send Leury Garcia to the White Sox in the Alex Rios deal.

They're announcing it as a player to be named later now only so Garcia doesn't have to pass through waivers. Garcia has some speed and should have a future as a utility player, but he's only a career .261/.310/.347 hitter in the minors, so the Rangers didn't give up much. Aug 9 - 2:33 PM

Per Rotoworld

Love the last line Sox did not get much.

QUOTE (shipps @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 07:55 PM)
LOL did you just refer to Rios as a great major leaguer. This team is not filled with a ton of assets and the average player like Rios sox fans over value because he may be the best on our roster sadly. Dont you think Hahn did all he could trying to find a team willing to give SOMETHING he liked in their minor leagues for Rios? Not to mention Rios has helped the Sox at all with his attitude.

No, I did not. I said above average to great referring to Peavy and Rios.

Sox fans over valuing Rios? Now that's a new one.

I'm sure Hahn did. It doesn't make it a great return or anything to get excited about.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 11:56 AM)
I was one guy who wanted to get something solid back for Rios, and I'll take Leonys as a decent return. It fills a need, has some talent, and grades well on several tools. He also makes the roster work a lot better if Semien makes the big leagues next year.

Leury , you're thinking of Leonys Martin the Rangers CF .

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 02:58 PM)
MLB.com's T.R. Sullivan reports that the Rangers will send Leury Garcia to the White Sox in the Alex Rios deal.

They're announcing it as a player to be named later now only so Garcia doesn't have to pass through waivers. Garcia has some speed and should have a future as a utility player, but he's only a career .261/.310/.347 hitter in the minors, so the Rangers didn't give up much. Aug 9 - 2:33 PM

Per Rotoworld

Love the last line Sox did not get much.

Of course, the guy from MLB.com took a look at his minor league numbers without noting that he's only 22 and was in AA last year at 21 as well.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 11:55 AM)

Yeah, we would either have to outbid someone by a LOT, or he would have to have tremendous faith in Hahn and our pitching staff to put a competitor in place very quickly.

Otherwise, why on earth would he sign here?