Merkin attempts positive Beckham article

Balta1701

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 08:31 PM)
His D was in the lower half of the league....Would I like a new 3B??? Sure. I just think you could do worse, and it's nothing to, dread, fear, detest, or whatever vibrant word you wanna use about the situation.

I think Kepp/Gillaspie is something to dread at 3B.

I think to quite a few fans, rebuilding means dealing Chris Sale for that much speculated about huge prospect package (or Stanton/Harper/Trout, etc).

And also trading Ramirez, Beckham/Keppinger (if anyone would take them), Santiago/Quintana, DeAza and Addison Reed.

Although you could certainly argue that trading Santiago/Quintana would be to improve the team at catcher or 3B, and that closers are completely replaceable and essentially nice luxuries on 99 loss teams.

So probably the two players that would be hardest to replace would be Sale and Ramirez (not really counting Viciedo, Abreu and Garcia, since they're all young hitters and part of a "rebuilding/retooling" effort).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 9, 2013 -> 09:17 AM)
I think to quite a few fans, rebuilding means dealing Chris Sale for that much speculated about huge prospect package (or Stanton/Harper/Trout, etc).

And also trading Ramirez, Beckham/Keppinger (if anyone would take them), Santiago/Quintana, DeAza and Addison Reed.

Although you could certainly argue that trading Santiago/Quintana would be to improve the team at catcher or 3B, and that closers are completely replaceable and essentially nice luxuries on 99 loss teams.

So probably the two players that would be hardest to replace would be Sale and Ramirez (not really counting Viciedo, Abreu and Garcia, since they're all young hitters and part of a "rebuilding/retooling" effort).

I'm all for rebuilding and I think the idea of trading Sale is ridiculous. We already have 1/2, and the hardest part, of rebuilding done with a good young pitching staff. Continue to rebuild the offense/defense this year and in 2015 we could easily be contenders with the right moves. Abreu and Garcia is a good start, but we are still a couple good bats away from having the necessary offense to compete in my opinion. And unfortunately I just don't see any of those type of guys coming from our minor league system anytime soon, so trading some more vets to continue to get younger.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 9, 2013 -> 09:53 AM)
I'm all for rebuilding and I think the idea of trading Sale is ridiculous. We already have 1/2, and the hardest part, of rebuilding done with a good young pitching staff. Continue to rebuild the offense/defense this year and in 2015 we could easily be contenders with the right moves. Abreu and Garcia is a good start, but we are still a couple good bats away from having the necessary offense to compete in my opinion. And unfortunately I just don't see any of those type of guys coming from our minor league system anytime soon, so trading some more vets to continue to get younger.

See, I actually think Semien will be a very valuable player for us soon. He can do a little bit of everything offensively, but his ability to get on-base is his most important skill IMO. I think by 2015 he'll be our #2 hitter and be great table-setter for us.

After him, there aren't a lot of sure things though. I still believe Trayce Thompson has a chance, but this will be a make or break year for him offensively. It would be foolish to write-off Carlos Sanchez given how young he was for AAA. And then you have Micah Johnson, who I'm higher on than most around here. I honestly believe he'll have a big 2014 and will push for a spot by 2015. He could be a dynamic leadoff hitter for us if he can get on-base at a high enough clip. Those are the only 3 guys I really see at the moment as possible starters by opening day 2015 and all are far from sure things. We'll definitely need to move some pitching if we want to improve the offense quickly.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 08:30 PM)
Yeah. The thing with him is that he doesn't even look good when he's hot. He just looks like he's running into some balls. He has never really seemed "

dialed in" to me. Hits just fall in for a couple weeks at a time.

Right. Even when he's "dialed in," it's not like he's driving the ball with any authority. He's just slapping the ball around and getting hits. That's great if you're Juan Pierre.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Nov 9, 2013 -> 01:30 PM)
Right. Even when he's "dialed in," it's not like he's driving the ball with any authority. He's just slapping the ball around and getting hits. That's great if you're Juan Pierre.

Someone brought up a good stat in another thread, his line drive% was the highest of his career @ 23%. He had 74 line drives in 103 games which is 22 more than he had his stellar rookie year in 7 less ABs.

I really don't know what to think about Gordo. The changed batting stance looked like it was really gonna work for him...But then again I did just suggested the Sox go after Murphy.

It's gonna be quite the interesting offeseason.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 9, 2013 -> 01:03 PM)
Someone brought up a good stat in another thread, his line drive% was the highest of his career @ 23%. He had 74 line drives in 103 games which is 22 more than he had his stellar rookie year in 7 less ABs.

I really don't know what to think about Gordo. The changed batting stance looked like it was really gonna work for him...But then again I did just suggested the Sox go after Murphy.

It's gonna be quite the interesting offeseason.

Who determines what a line drive is? He had 28 xbh's in 408 PA's. Hes not driving the ball.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Nov 9, 2013 -> 02:07 PM)
Who determines what a line drive is? He had 28 xbh's in 408 PA's. Hes not driving the ball.

Baseball Info Solutions, who track every pitch and the trajectory of every batted ball in every game. I don't think 'what constitutes a line drive' is a particularly controversial or debated topic. Pretty well agreed upon.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 08:30 PM)
Yeah. The thing with him is that he doesn't even look good when he's hot. He just looks like he's running into some balls. He has never really seemed "

dialed in" to me. Hits just fall in for a couple weeks at a time.

How dare you suggest someone "not looking good" on a baseball field, everyone knows stathead junkies like you don't watch the games ;)

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Nov 9, 2013 -> 06:58 PM)
I do find it aggravating that Sox fans can watch a guy suck for 4 years and still make excuses for him. I thought we were supposed to be the smart fans.

It's all about where a guy was drafted. Beckham was drafted high so people are slow to realize/admit he's just another second baseman. If he's an 8th round pick, most everybody would be in agreement he's just not very good.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 9, 2013 -> 03:19 PM)
It's all about where a guy was drafted. Beckham was drafted high so people are slow to realize/admit he's just another second baseman. If he's an 8th round pick, most everybody would be in agreement he's just not very good.

Correct. Maybe a year from now you could say the same thing about young Mr. Hawkins, unfortunately. Hope not.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 9, 2013 -> 08:52 PM)
Since the catch-all was martyred, guess I will add this here. Beckham got married tonight, so Slayer is officially gone. Usually seems to have a negative effect on players, but we shall see.

So Beckham could become even more horrible than he already is?