Hahn says trade talks have heated up.

dayan024

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 04:36 PM)
I know. What I meant is we have too many players who hit .230 or under as is.

Then why do you want another who does not have a lot of team controlled years left who was like the second worst catcher in the game last year? At least Phegley was a rookie getting his first taste of big league pitching. Arencibia was entering his 3rd full year as a starting player and put up that junk.

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The question is this: is adding JPA thee best allocation of whatever resources it requires? Because he won't be "free" -- he'll either cost some amount of talent in a trade or a few million bucks to sign. Lots of teams will take a flyer on him at or around league minimum, we'd have to offer more PT or money to lure him from a contender.

f*** man, JPA? Do we need another strike out king to compete with Dunn on this team? For f***s sake I thought the point of this off season was to improve a 99 loss team, not surpass that loss total in 14! There has to be a better option somewhere. See if peewee Herman is willing to don a catchers mask or something, just say no to JPA!

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 04:38 PM)
The question is this: is adding JPA thee best allocation of whatever resources it requires? Because he won't be "free" -- he'll either cost some amount of talent in a trade or a few million bucks to sign. Lots of teams will take a flyer on him at or around league minimum, we'd have to offer more PT or money to lure him from a contender.

I think the best hope for Arencibia is a guy like John Buck. I'm being overly harsh, but I also think guys like Flowers and Phegley can be like John Buck too. If you have 2 left shoes, should you try and acquire another left shoe or to try and find a right shoe?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 04:47 PM)
I think the best hope for Arencibia is a guy like John Buck. I'm being overly harsh, but I also think guys like Flowers and Phegley can be like John Buck too. If you have 2 left shoes, should you try and acquire another left shoe or to try and find a right shoe?

I don't think you're being overly harsh -- I think that's about right. I think the argument for JPA is something like this: I'm pretty sure the left shoe I have won't work out once I try it on the job, I may as well hedge my bets and bring another one to work to increase the chance that I can get one of them to do be what I need.

Is that enough to justify the cost of acquiring him? It's possible, if the price is low enough. However, there's also the opportunity cost to consider -- a flyer on JPA for next to nothing might be better than doing nothing at all, but it wouldn't be better than almost every other effort to improve the C position.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 04:54 PM)
I don't think you're being overly harsh -- I think that's about right. I think the argument for JPA is something like this: I'm pretty sure the left shoe I have won't work out once I try it on the job, I may as well hedge my bets and bring another one to work to increase the chance that I can get one of them to do be what I need.

Is that enough to justify the cost of acquiring him? It's possible, if the price is low enough. However, there's also the opportunity cost to consider -- a flyer on JPA for next to nothing might be better than doing nothing at all, but it wouldn't be better than almost every other effort to improve the C position.

I just hate the idea that Arencibia represents.

My other qualm is this - Arencibia has somewhere around 1000-1500 plate appearances on his record. He has had some success at the MLB level. But in his 3rd season as a starter, he took a gigantic step backwards. We are ready to give up on Flowers and Phegley after half a season starting by each, and Arencibia took that step back in the 3rd. If Beckham had put up his .800/.680/.680 or whatever, and then came back with a .600 bomb, there's no question how people feel about him, regardless of the replacements on hand. That's how people should also feel and consider Arencibia.

On a minor league deal - great, grand, wonderful. That's not going to happen though.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 05:01 PM)
I just hate the idea that Arencibia represents.

My other qualm is this - Arencibia has somewhere around 1000-1500 plate appearances on his record. He has had some success at the MLB level. But in his 3rd season as a starter, he took a gigantic step backwards. We are ready to give up on Flowers and Phegley after half a season starting by each, and Arencibia took that step back in the 3rd. If Beckham had put up his .800/.680/.680 or whatever, and then came back with a .600 bomb, there's no question how people feel about him, regardless of the replacements on hand. That's how people should also feel and consider Arencibia.

On a minor league deal - great, grand, wonderful. That's not going to happen though.

Yeah I pretty much agree with all of this. There's just too much of a C shortage for us to be able to get him at a low enough price to make it worth it. Probably a bad fit.

I don't see any reason to think Arencibia will be anything but bad and the most frustrating kind of bad at that. At least when Phegley is the worst batter in baseball, you hardly notice him -- one swing and he's outta there

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 05:39 PM)
I don't see any reason to think Arencibia will be anything but bad and the most frustrating kind of bad at that. At least when Phegley is the worst batter in baseball, you hardly notice him -- one swing and he's outta there

He is one of those guys who inexplicably could put up some really good numbers some season, but I agree with the poster who basically said the Sox already have Tyler Flowers. They don't need his twin.

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 07:59 PM)
I don't know who this guy on Twitter is and I also don't know what thread to put it in, so here:

Brian Madsen ‏@brianm731 3m

Flowers re-signs. Paulie just made up his mind. He gone. #whitesox

He's probably just some kid

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 07:59 PM)
I don't know who this guy on Twitter is and I also don't know what thread to put it in, so here:

Brian Madsen ‏@brianm731 3m

Flowers re-signs. Paulie just made up his mind. He gone. #whitesox

It's a joke. He's implying Konerko wouldn't even consider returning to a team that had brought back a player of Tyler Flowers caliber.