Hahn says trade talks have heated up.

dayan024

QUOTE (staxx @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 08:48 PM)
if we're gonna spend that type of money on choo, i'd much rather we trade one of our pitchers for a bat then go sign someone like Garza

And the White Sox have never been the type of organization to give someone like Garza more money than a Danks or Buehrle, their own homegrown players.

That might change someday, but it's going to have to be for an ace pitcher, not a number 3 or at best 2 guy.

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 06:34 PM)
That's my guess too.

But if there's any player on the market that really fits our long term needs and has a good shot at actually coming close to earning his contract I'd peg Choo at maybe #1. Ellsbury and McCann (and Cano because of those years and dollars) seem like prime candidates not to. A disproportionate amount of Ellsbury's value comes from his speed which you can expect to evaporate over those last years. I think Choo will be a more valuable player over the next 7 years. Any catcher not named A.J. you can expect get dinged up and spend some time on the DL, which McCann is already no stranger to. And what were you going to do, give him a 6th year? Or more $$ than the Yankees?

He'll cost a ton but if there's any player I could see us making an under the radar push for, I can't think of anyone who makes more sense. If the Mariners can find $250 million....

The Mariners are one of the most sound teams finacially in MLB . They have no debt and then inked a $2 Billion TV contract . All the big spending teams have massive TV contracts, Dodgers, Yankees, Rangers, Red Sox, Angels . Not sure how long the Sox current TV contract runs, might have a few years left on it but until ours take that big leap into megabucks teritory you won't see the Sox doing anything remotely close to what the M's did.

http://www.lookoutlanding.com/2013/4/19/42...ctv-maury-brown This is an article from back in April basically asking now that the M's have this big TV contract will they use the money. Guess we got the answer.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 10:42 PM)
1) Choo is a bad CFer already, now, near the prime of his career....imagine in Years 3-4-5 of the deal, we'd still be looking for a CF

Yes, I said the same, that he'd move to a corner. I don't expect the Sox'll actually do it, but I'll put my money on Choo to be a better player in 2019 than Ellsbury or Granderson (or McCann for that matter).

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 02:53 AM)
Does anyone think we could be total dark horse to go after Choo? There's maybe no other hitter who's talents most perfectly hit what we need and he's better than any OF free agent next year. It's free agency, so it's an ultimately an overpay, but the salary obligations after this year are virtually nothing. Plus, the Yankees, Dodgers, and Angels don't figure to be in on the bidding. Consider also that we don't have a legit outfielder who has shown they can even hit at AA.

I don't think anyone here would complain about Choo's defense in center compared to De Aza, and as soon as next year (or further down the road) he can move to left with Tank going to DH. He's only 30 (2 years younger than Granderson) and seems like the kind of guy who's offensive value isn't going to totally deteriorate as he can be moved along the defensive spectrum from CF to corner to DH if need be.

I'd agree. If the contract was like 5 years, $90 mil. But Choo should get a bigger deal than that.

The thing I like about getting Choo is it would allow the sox to then make multiple deals to fill holes. And have the sox bring along young guys without the added pressure of hitting at the top of the lineup. De Aza or Tank could net something productive. Dunn could be unloaded. The sox could get a young SS, C, or OFer by trading a SP.

Still, I don't see it happening with the market way over priced.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 07:35 AM)
I'd agree. If the contract was like 5 years, $90 mil. But Choo should get a bigger deal than that.

The thing I like about getting Choo is it would allow the sox to then make multiple deals to fill holes. And have the sox bring along young guys without the added pressure of hitting at the top of the lineup. De Aza or Tank could net something productive. Dunn could be unloaded. The sox could get a young SS, C, or OFer by trading a SP.

Still, I don't see it happening with the market way over priced.

The problem with this line of thinking is that IMO the free agent market right now is where players are overpriced while it seems like the trade market is where value is. So, you're paying a premium price while signing the guy on the FA market and yet when you try to trade your guys, you don't get an over-valued return on them.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 12:44 PM)
The problem with this line of thinking is that IMO the free agent market right now is where players are overpriced while it seems like the trade market is where value is. So, you're paying a premium price while signing the guy on the FA market and yet when you try to trade your guys, you don't get an over-valued return on them.

I think we're on the same page. If the sox could have signed Choo to a reasonable deal, (and no way they can with what other guys have gotten this year) it made sense to go for him. A few other teams will overpay for Choo, far more than what the sox should or would pay.

The trade route will be the only way to fix the offense. The sox will have to pick up young guys who may struggle initially, in CF, C. Yet could have high ceilings.

A few things to remember about Choo:

He is terrible vs. left handed pitching.

He was hit by pitches a league leading 26 times last year, and that's not a good way to generate a high OBP. One of those pitches is likely to land him on the DL.

He is not a good defensive outfielder, especially in CF.

And of course, he will cost way too much money, and want too long of a contract.

I'd still like to see a one year deal, at a reasonable price, for a certain other former Indian, left handed, center fielder. Dare I mention his name?

With these crazy contracts, that gamble is looking better every day. He's the same age as Choo, and is a better outfielder, even after the knee surgery. He's also better suited to bat in the middle of the order, if he's really healthy, of course.

He will probably be much more interested in guaranteed playing time, than a long term deal, as he will want to prove he is healthy, in order to re-establish his value.

The Sox are in a position to take that gamble, as he would not be blocking anyone, and would not cost a draft pick, as I mentioned one of the several times that I brought it up.

I know some will attack me for belaboring the point, but these ridiculous contracts provide a new perspective on the idea.

What would the Sox have to lose?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 06:44 AM)

Right - the market is reflection of teams not wanting to give up their young prospects in a trade. They're willing to pay more for FA.

So I'd say that if there is a bubble in this market, it is those teams willing to trade prospects...they should be able to get the player for a lower quality of prospect.

The White Sox have demonstrated interest in Chase Headley of the Padres, Daryl Van Schouwen of the Chicago Sun-Times reports. As Van Schouwen notes, that's a little odd, unless the White Sox think they can sign Headley to an extension -- the White Sox aren't expected to be competitive in 2014, and Headley is a free agent after the season.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 10:59 AM)
The White Sox have demonstrated interest in Chase Headley of the Padres, Daryl Van Schouwen of the Chicago Sun-Times reports. As Van Schouwen notes, that's a little odd, unless the White Sox think they can sign Headley to an extension -- the White Sox aren't expected to be competitive in 2014, and Headley is a free agent after the season.

Give me Headley and Grandal

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 10:06 AM)
Give me Headley and Grandal

Have to have a reasonable idea that an extension is viable or no dice.

But hell yeah, we need the lefty bat, and maybe he'll regain some of the power he had a couple years ago, playing in our park.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 11:31 AM)
Have to have a reasonable idea that an extension is viable or no dice.

But hell yeah, we need the lefty bat, and maybe he'll regain some of the power he had a couple years ago, playing in our park.

I completely agree. Only if he signs an extension. If not, then Headley's value dramatically goes down.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 12:42 PM)
If you add Headley, this team starts looking viable for next season. By no means a favorite to be a winner, but reduces the amount of good luck it takes to win

Yeah probably puts us in that dreaded 80-85 win range with an impending free agent. I don't see how it makes any sense unless we work out an extension with the trade. And there would have to be at least 2 other moves behind it at C and CF with upgrades offensively and defensively.