Rosenthal: Tanaka to Yankees

bear_brian

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (midway @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 03:26 PM)
I'd love to see Tanaka with the White Sox, but his wife is an actress and wants to be where she can pursue her acting career... seems like LA or New York would be the place to be for that.

This is a great point. Maybe its why the Dodgers only went 7 years with Kershaw, save a few bucks and throw it Tanaka's way. I didn't think the Dodgers would have the money for Tanaka but I could be wrong. If he signed with LA she can fly back from Japan for home games.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 03:47 PM)
I am so tired of the bulls*** we're hearing. His wife this, these three teams are the finalists, this team doesn't have money, this team does, contradictory statement here, etc.

Just sign already so the baseball teams of lesser significance can move on with their offseasons.

I second this,although we contribute by watching and listening and reading about it.It's kind of inevitable but it becomes rather tiresome quickly.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 03:07 PM)
What soxtalk record for posts in a thread about a free agent before he actually signs?

Im not sure about that, but Eric Chavez singlehandedly changed this entire website for a day

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 03:57 PM)
Wait, what?

This site became Chaveztalk at the trade deadline in 05. It was fun. People argued, lines were drawn, eyeballs were gouged, and then the trade deadline passed and Crede remained the starter

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 04:00 PM)
This site became Chaveztalk at the trade deadline in 05. It was fun. People argued, lines were drawn, eyeballs were gouged, and then the trade deadline passed and Crede remained the starter

How many pages were in the thread?

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 10:01 PM)
How many pages were in the thread?

It was spread out across the board so impossible to tell. This summers Peavy thread was really long, so was when we first traded for him and he spurned us. Manny Ramirez also broke the board a few times think so did Adrian Gonzalez and we never even got him. Hundred of pages of threads were dedicated to acquiring Edwin Jackson on ten different occasions. These are all the names everyone became obsessed with and I'm sure Im missing a bunch.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

'05 was also Jose Contreras + Uribe to the Marlins Talk for a while too. Thank GOD that never happened.

Also this site was Angels talk for a long time too.

Brandon Wood

Chone Figgins

Ervin Santana

Howie Kendrick

Erick Aybar

Casey Kotchman

Gary Matthews, Jr. in a salary dump

etc.

All of these guys were at one time involved in some sort of rumored Paulie or Crede deal.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 04:14 PM)
What about the 3-way where we got Damon, the Red Sox got Maggs, and I think someone else got Nomar can't remember who.

Nomar went to the Cubs IIRC shortly after that.

That deal I believe was A-Rod going to Boston for Manny and then Maggs for Nomar.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 04:14 PM)
What about the 3-way where we got Damon, the Red Sox got Maggs, and I think someone else got Nomar can't remember who.

Nomar went to the Cubs IIRC shortly after that.

ARod to Boston for Manny Ramirez. Magglio Ordonez, Brandon McCarthy, and one other prospect (those two were both in A ball at the time) for Nomar and Scott Williamson.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 10:18 PM)
Ah, yes.... that year's version of Edwin Jackson for Dunn or Jermaine Dye for Homer Bailey. I remember people thinking that thing was done.

And John Garland to Houston. Astros had the press conference ready to make the announcement and...it never happened. Forget who we were getting.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 10:24 PM)
And John Garland to Houston. Astros had the press conference ready to make the announcement and...it never happened. Forget who we were getting.

That was nothing compared to when we thought Miguel Cabrera was coming to us only to have an hour go by and he was a Tiger.

And man the proposed package we were sending to Florida was such garbage.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 04:27 PM)
That was nothing compared to when we thought Miguel Cabrera was coming to us only to have an hour go by and he was a Tiger.

The proposed package we were sending was (in retrospect) a world better than the Tigers. I remember it included Danks or Floyd, either of which would be better than anything the Marlins received.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 04:27 PM)

The package they got ended up being jacks*** too.

I was at WSI during the Miguel Cabrera thing.

The package over there, the final deal, was Gio + Danks + Fields (fresh off his rookie performance) + Sweeney. That was a nice package back then, but now that's definitely a haul.

Tigers took DTrain though and gave up 6 players. I never liked Miller, but Maybin was one of these all-world type of prospects (who never became anything much obviously). They gave up some other interesting players, i.e. I believe Euglolio Cruz or some s*** like that, a big armed 100mph closing candidate who didn't do anything.

The Marlins definitely should have taken our deal. And had they, I wonder if the Sox would have been willing to go to the immediate mega deal extension that the Tigers gave out. It would have been atypical of the Sox to say the least, but would have in hindsight been a terrific move.