NHL open to outdoor game at USCF

southsider2k5

http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/nhl-op...rce=twitterfeed

The success the NHL has had in their outdoor hockey games could lead to Chicago hosting another contest.

In 2013, the NHL has held the Winter Classic at the Big House in Michigan, back-to-back Stadium Series games at Yankee Stadium and one at Dodger Stadium. Soldier Field will host the Blackhawks and Penguins in a Stadium Series game on March 1.

The Hawks are a big draw for the NHL due to the market, star players and sponsors in Chicago.

[MORE: Sox great McDowell reportedly accepts managerial position]

In 2009, the Winter Classic between the Blackhawks and Red Wings was held at Wrigley Field. And now there's talks of the NHL continuing their momentum in the Chicago market with a game being held at U.S. Cellular Field.

"Look, Chicago is a great market," NHL chief operating officer John Collins told the Chicago Sun-Times. "We’ll get through the successes of this year and we’ll be able to sit down and really figure out what the plan is going forward. But yeah, sure. Comiskey is a great park."

There will be plenty of other venues in the mix, but Collins told the Sun-Times that the NHL has already had preliminary discussions with the White Sox.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 31, 2014 -> 02:15 PM)
Am I the only one that doesn't particularly care for these outdoor games? I haven't been to a game, but I would imagine the sightlines aren't as good as indoors. And I think camera angles are better indoors. It was fun the first time, but IMO the NHL is overdoing it.

I think it's just about being there. I went to the Hawks/Wings game at Wrigley. The seats we had would have been great for a ballgame, but for hockey they weren't very good. However, being there was very cool. I do agree the NHL might be overdoing it. I think one a year should be fine.

Am I the only one that doesn't particularly care for these outdoor games? I haven't been to a game, but I would imagine the sightlines aren't as good as indoors. And I think camera angles are better indoors. It was fun the first time, but IMO the NHL is overdoing it.

Between the games this year in Ann Arbor, LA, and two at Yankee Stadium, they had over 250,000 fans attend, all basically sold out. The games may seem a bit excessive, but if the fans keep showing up in droves, the NHL will keep hosting them.

One was definitely enough. The broadcasts of these games have been really uncomfortable because the announcers way oversell the games. It's to the point where they want you to believe these outdoor games are a cure for cancer. The NHL is fantastic.