2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 10:42 AM)
This isn't really true. He's paid the going rate. He's paid what he's worth. Go look around the league and check out other QB contracts for guys comparable to Jay.

That was basically my thought as well.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 10:42 AM)
This isn't really true. He's paid the going rate. He's paid what he's worth. Go look around the league and check out other QB contracts for guys comparable to Jay.

Yep. f*** the Ravens and Joe Flacco for setting the market at such a ridiculous rate.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 10:59 AM)
Yep. f*** the Ravens and Joe Flacco for setting the market at such a ridiculous rate.

Blame Rahim Moore for letting Jones get behind him on that long TD pass.

Flacco had one of the best 4-game playoff stretches a QB has ever had, but he has since proven it was a fluky hot streak and nothing more.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 07:19 AM)
Honestly, he's not bad enough to justify it, and this team needs to continue to get cheaper talent through the draft. We have Cutler for 3 more years, it's done.

They need to continue to invest in the defense and probably need to find a way to get a speed wide-out in one of the rounds and obviously don't ignore oline so you have youth to step in, especially since I have massive faith in Kromer / Trestman in regards to oline. Defense, specifically LB / Safety / Corner are huge areas of need. We also can't ignore the fact that if we thought there was an impact DE available, we'd have to look at him.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 10:54 AM)
I'm not sure what the story is behind it but Barry Rozner calls him that all the time.

Yes he does because people are stupid. His name is Josh McCown. It's not hard to say or write but people constantly said McGowan, McCowan, McNown, Cade McNown, Josh McNown, etc.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 11:20 AM)
Yes he does because people are stupid. His name is Josh McCown. It's not hard to say or write but people constantly said McGowan, McCowan, McNown, Cade McNown, Josh McNown, etc.

Hey, when you have a qb as great as Cade McNown in your history, it's kind of hard to forget about him.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 11:09 AM)
It's a typo, why jump on that instead of continuing your point?

I'm not continuing my point. Josh McCown is bad at football. He's not an NFL starter. If you honestly think letting go of Jay Cutler and going with Josh McCown as the STARTING QB of the Bears was a good idea then I can't help you and I don't need to continue with my point.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 11:22 AM)
I'm not continuing my point. Josh McCown is bad at football. He's not an NFL starter. If you honestly think letting go of Jay Cutler and going with Josh McCown as the STARTING QB of the Bears was a good idea then I can't help you and I don't need to continue with my point.

Cool logic bro.

McCown is more of a system QB. Yeah he has a low ceiling but he got the job done for the most part when Jay was down for the count. Trestman's system is just good that even a low ceiling QB can excel in it.

Furthermore, McCown would just be a starter while we groom a QB for the future. I never really thought Jay would be apart of the future until the FO just showed they are ready to continue for mediocrity for years to come.

I think it's laughable that people think Jay is the answer. I know all those years of s***ty QBs probably haunts people's dreams but that's like settling for a cute fat chick because you don't think you can do better.

Edited by pettie4sox

QUOTE (scs787 @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 12:04 PM)
McCown did work against sorry ass defenses. He wouldn't have been the answer.

BTW, the cap number jumped 10M this year, and is rumored to jump another 27M next season. It think that all coincides with what Jay is making.

It's not about being the answer, it was just understanding with how atrocious the defense was last season, the last thing the bears needed was Jay Cutler and his bloated salary. It'd be one thing if he was a sure fire QB but he isn't even close.

The Bears are rebuilding and I think it's tragic considering how Trestman has transformed the offense and very well may be the fall guy.

McCown protected the ball and managed the game a lot better than Jay has. He distrubuted where Jay fixates and fires.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 10:25 AM)
The bottom line is there are plenty of other areas to improve while Jay is under contract that will contribute to the Bears winning.

And this nonsense about "the Bears will never win a Super Bowl with Jay Cutler" is just ridiculous.

Why exactly? With the defense as bad as it is, Jay is either going to take the Bears to the promise land or he isn't. It goes through him and the offense. And nothing in his time with the Bears has led me to believe he's THAT good.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 12:11 PM)
It's not about being the answer, it was just understanding with how atrocious the defense was last season, the last thing the bears needed was Jay Cutler and his bloated salary. It'd be one thing if he was a sure fire QB but he isn't even close.

The Bears are rebuilding and I think it's tragic considering how Trestman has transformed the offense and very well may be the fall guy.

McCown protected the ball and managed the game a lot better than Jay has. He distrubuted where Jay fixates and fires.

Against sorry ass defenses.

Targets have been distributed evenly this year. Jeffery-39, Marshall-37, Bennett-42, Forte-42

I'm fairly certain Trestman had a big say, if not the final say, in what QB he wanted brought back.

Jays contract was structured to where if they wanted to add more to the D they could have

QUOTE (scs787 @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 12:30 PM)
Against sorry ass defenses.

Targets have been distributed evenly this year. Jeffery-39, Marshall-37, Bennett-42, Forte-42

I'm fairly certain Trestman had a big say, if not the final say, in what QB he wanted brought back.

Jays contract was structured to where if they wanted to add more to the D they could have

You can keep parroting sorry ass defense but that doesn't change the fact that Jay wouldn't fare any better. The Packers don't have a good defense... as a matter of fact, Jay was able to throw at will on the Packers and still ended up throwing interceptions. To add to this, these weren't the DB just made a good play picks they were Jay being Jay type picks.

Things that make you go hmmm...

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 01:57 PM)
You can keep parroting sorry ass defense but that doesn't change the fact that Jay wouldn't fare any better. The Packers don't have a good defense... as a matter of fact, Jay was able to throw at will on the Packers and still ended up throwing interceptions. To add to this, these weren't the DB just made a good play picks they were Jay being Jay type picks.Things that make you go hmmm...

except, you know, Marshall running the wrong route.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 02:08 PM)
How is it that other QBs are sometimes able to go hundreds of pass attempts without an INT when they have to deal with such things?

Football IQ.

"I think he's not running the right route, better check the other receivers..."