2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 12, 2015 -> 04:08 PM)
It's always going to happen when everyone loves to hate and laugh at that team. If this happened to the Panthers no one would care. But it's funny when it happens to a team everyone hates. It's no surprise.

Dude, most fans on this board are Bears fans, think about that.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's always going to happen when everyone loves to hate and laugh at that team. If this happened to the Panthers no one would care. But it's funny when it happens to a team everyone hates. It's no surprise.

If it happened to the Panthers you wouldn't be claiming he made a football move, so it goes both ways.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 12, 2015 -> 04:19 PM)
I wouldn't hate him as the Bears coach, wouldn't be super inspiring but we could do much much worse.

I think he's competent, but those Broncos teams were loooaaadded with talent. Absolutely loaded. He took over a top 5 defense and then added Peyton Manning's offense to O. And the team expected about how you'd expect! That's no small accomplishment, but I don't think you could give him the Bears and see much difference.

I don't think firing John Fox is the answer.

I wouldn't mind the Bears taking a look. He's been to the Super Bowl with 2 different teams, so he had plenty of success without Peyton. It wouldn't be your typical retread where a guy loses control of his team and the season falls apart, etc. The guy just went 12-4 and his starting QB had a torn quad.

I don't think it's funny, and frankly with how incredible the play was, I wish he would have secured the catch because it was absolutely phenomenal.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 12, 2015 -> 04:29 PM)
And if it happened to the Packers, they'd be laughing at the Packers too.

Why is it that everyone who disagrees with you here is laughing at and hating on the Cowboys? Nobody is saying anything other than they don't think it is a catch based on the rule that th NFL has instituted. Nobody is laughing, nobody is reveling in it.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 12, 2015 -> 05:25 PM)
I think he's competent, but those Broncos teams were loooaaadded with talent. Absolutely loaded. He took over a top 5 defense and then added Peyton Manning's offense to O. And the team expected about how you'd expect! That's no small accomplishment, but I don't think you could give him the Bears and see much difference.

Still though, how many of those guys, both offense and defense, developed under him? This is the guy who found a way to keep tim tebow from making mistakes enough to win games. Von Miller developed under him, yes talented on his own but there have been other big pieces developing on his defense. TJ Ward, Chris Harris Jr developed into pro bowlers under him, that Brandon Marshall they have isn't bad, etc. And on the offensive side, they've seen solid development out of both their lines and their receiving corps as well. Yes, Manning likely had a lot to do with that, but they've still done it.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 12, 2015 -> 04:34 PM)
Why is it that everyone who disagrees with you here is laughing at and hating on the Cowboys? Nobody is saying anything other than they don't think it is a catch based on the rule that th NFL has instituted. Nobody is laughing, nobody is reveling in it.

I also think Dez did make the catch (I agree with Chilihead that Dez controls the ball midair and makes a football move stretching for the end zone) but according to that stupid rule he did not. Hopefully they review that rule in the offseason.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 12, 2015 -> 04:36 PM)
Still though, how many of those guys, both offense and defense, developed under him? This is the guy who found a way to keep tim tebow from making mistakes enough to win games. Von Miller developed under him, yes talented on his own but there have been other big pieces developing on his defense. TJ Ward, Chris Harris Jr developed into pro bowlers under him, that Brandon Marshall they have isn't bad, etc. And on the offensive side, they've seen solid development out of both their lines and their receiving corps as well. Yes, Manning likely had a lot to do with that, but they've still done it.

That's a good point. I would be fine with his hire. I think the NFL to a point (almost the extreme to the opposite end of the NBA) where if you failed at a point as a head coach you had proven you can't coach. I think it's possible Fox will have learned a ton after these two trips and may be very valuable. OTOH, I'd be fine either way, I just don't particularly care for Gase or Austin.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 12, 2015 -> 05:05 PM)
In my opinion, you only do this if you have someone in mind. If they are going to interview like the rest of the teams, and it's just change for change's sake, then I think it was a fool's move.

I think firing a coach coming off 4 straight division titles is a fool's move any way you look at it.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 12, 2015 -> 06:09 PM)
That's a good point. I would be fine with his hire. I think the NFL to a point (almost the extreme to the opposite end of the NBA) where if you failed at a point as a head coach you had proven you can't coach. I think it's possible Fox will have learned a ton after these two trips and may be very valuable. OTOH, I'd be fine either way, I just don't particularly care for Gase or Austin.

If...and big if...they're in a position where keeping Cutler around seems likely, then throwing a coach like Fox at him might be a good idea. He does seem to have a history of putting QB's in a position to succeed, whether terrible (Tebow), tolerable (DelHomme), or HOF (obviously).