2014 MLB catch-all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 11:37 AM)
I think it's pretty interesting that some of the other teams that share cities (or metro areas) like Oakland and the Mets have absolutely no majority where they are located. The Yankees dominate New York and the Giants dominate the Bay Area. Yet, the Sox have a pretty steady foothold in the Chicagoland area.

Only places that matter to me (large part of Chicago and Kankakee) are White Sox.

I think it's pretty interesting that some of the other teams that share cities (or metro areas) like Oakland and the Mets have absolutely no majority where they are located. The Yankees dominate New York and the Giants dominate the Bay Area. Yet, the Sox have a pretty steady foothold in the Chicagoland area.

Even the ZIP Code containing CITI Field is 53-25 Yankees.

The ZIP Code containing O.co Coliseum is 59-18 Giants.

At least the Sox are over 50% in their own ZIP code.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 25, 2014 -> 07:10 AM)
Even the ZIP Code containing CITI Field is 53-25 Yankees.

The ZIP Code containing O.co Coliseum is 59-18 Giants.

At least the Sox are over 50% in their own ZIP code.

Given that the fandom was based on Facebook likes, I don't feel like the Giants/Athletics stat is extremely surprising.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 11:37 AM)

The Oakland A's do not have a single zip code that they win. Not one single one. That is just amazing.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 25, 2014 -> 10:21 AM)
Peavy-Buehrle matchup tonight. Think I'll pull for Buehrle.

Agreed. I'm a huge Peavy fan, but Buehrle is my 2nd all time favorite player after The Big Hurt. Hopefully it ends up being 1-0 Blue Jays with Rasmus hitting a solo homer (I'm also a big Rasmus fan).

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 11:02 AM)
48% Cubs, 34% White Sox, 7% Yankees

That's saying there are 41% more Cubs fans, but it's not nearly double or twice, which many would assume (2 to 1 split).

If you took our 16,959 average attendance, the Cubs would be averaging around 23,900 per game (just looking at it from purely a numerical standpoint, not taking into account 8 year Sox attendance slide, horrible Cubs' rebuilding years, etc.)

The Cubs are actually at 30,645, so they're still generating an "extra" 7000 fans per game pure from out of state/touristic/Wrigley Field environment/catch one ball game per season on the family vacation fans.

What is really crazy is that the Rays are 28th in attendance, having drawn 277,511 after 14 games. We're going to be have to be extremely lucky to be at the 230,000 mark after 14 games (60,000+ for the four game Rays series). To be trailing the Rays by nearly 20% nearly 17% into the 2014 home season is pretty incredible. Those who were predicting another $40 million in 2015 in payroll increases are already beginning to walk back those statements, feeling that spending level isn't so automatic anymore.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 25, 2014 -> 02:48 PM)
That's saying there are 41% more Cubs fans, but it's not nearly double or twice, which many would assume (2 to 1 split).

If you took our 16,959 average attendance, the Cubs would be averaging around 23,900 per game (just looking at it from purely a numerical standpoint, not taking into account 8 year Sox attendance slide, horrible Cubs' rebuilding years, etc.)

The Cubs are actually at 30,645, so they're still generating an "extra" 7000 fans per game pure from out of state/touristic/Wrigley Field environment/catch one ball game per season on the family vacation fans.

What is really crazy is that the Rays are 28th in attendance, having drawn 277,511 after 14 games. We're going to be have to be extremely lucky to be at the 230,000 mark after 14 games (60,000+ for the four game Rays series). To be trailing the Rays by nearly 20% nearly 17% into the 2014 home season is pretty incredible. Those who were predicting another $40 million in 2015 in payroll increases are already beginning to walk back those statements, feeling that spending level isn't so automatic anymore.

Those percentages were actually referring to the zip code I live in now

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 25, 2014 -> 01:55 PM)
Those percentages were actually referring to the zip code I live in now

Is there any way to see the actual split for the entire Chicago metroland? Or just zip by zip?

(Sorry, NY Times is blocked here in China, and has been for something like a year....after an undercover investigative story about the private acquisition of $2.2 billion of Ping An insurance company stock by the former 2nd in command's wife/family).

How many times are we going to wonder/dream what it would have been like to have Tanaka paired with Abreu as rookies?

38 K's, only 2 walks on the season so far...he's getting his opportunity right now in prime time against LAA.

Took out the side in the top of the 1st, of course, Trout got a single off him.

Tanaka with four walks tonight already, only had two in all of his previous starts.

Topping out at 93...mostly 91. Not the advertised mid 90's stuff, but obviously he has been successful at lower FB velocity so far.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 27, 2014 -> 07:16 PM)
How many times are we going to wonder/dream what it would have been like to have Tanaka paired with Abreu as rookies?

38 K's, only 2 walks on the season so far...he's getting his opportunity right now in prime time against LAA.

Took out the side in the top of the 1st, of course, Trout got a single off him.

Tanaka with four walks tonight already, only had two in all of his previous starts.

Topping out at 93...mostly 91. Not the advertised mid 90's stuff, but obviously he has been successful at lower FB velocity so far.

As long as Tanaka pitches like this, I'm gonna wonder/dream about it a lot.