2014 MLB catch-all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 02:49 AM)
prince-fielder-body-issue-cover.vadapt.9

Thank you so much for sharing that most disturbing image of a pregnant man with boobs posing in his home run swing. Now I shall grab a beer and attempt to drink that image out of my mind.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 02:45 PM)
@GeorgeAKingIII

Masahiro Tanaka flying back to NY for an MRI on his right arm, The Post has learned

DOH!

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 03:02 PM)
Danks' value rising

Yes it is! Rick, is your phone ringing yet?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 9, 2014 -> 01:40 PM)
And for good reason. There is absolutely zero reason we shouldn't at least make an offer to him. I think he'll find his way to a contender as a back-up, but still, no reason not to at least reach out to him. It isn't like Flowers is some guy of the future. I'd rather have AJ around working with Nieto then Flowers.

Would probably be wise to keep AJ as far away from our younger players as possible.

THE A.J. PIERZYNSKI PROBLEM WAS WORSE THAN ANYBODY COULD HAVE IMAGINED - WEEI

Other than the clubhouse stuff, he's simply not good enough anymore to put up with his being a jag.

A microcosm of Pierzynski's approach was mentioned by more than one of the backstop's former teammates, who revealed his propensity to spend a significant amount of time looking at his phone while at his locker during games. In one instance, after a particularly rough outing in which the starting pitcher had been pulled early in the game, Pierzynski could be found staring at his phone while the pitcher gave off the appearance of being an emotional wreck just a few feet away. That incident paved the way for at least one complaint to management from a teammate.

Wait a minute. A teammate complained because AJ was looking at his phone after a game instead of running right over to the pitcher to provide a shoulder to cry on? If that's the worst thing AJ did, then they seem a bit too sensitive to me.

Sure, there were red flags. He was viewed as a subpar receiver of the baseball. The Red Sox' preferred approach at the plate would be nowhere to be found, with Pierzynski swinging at anything and everything. And then there was that occasionally abrasive attitude.

No worries. The Red Sox were confident the veteran pitching staff could deal with the catcher's weaknesses behind the plate. Perhaps the lack of patience would dissipate after he watched those around him. And that personality? The Sox clubhouse would be strong enough to mold the 37-year-old, instead of the other way around.

Wait, they thought that they would be able to influence AJ's approach at the plate? Wow, that's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard. If you signed AJ expecting him to suddenly take 50 walks a year, then you're beyond stupid.

I don't imagine that AJP is an exemplary teammate, especially for a team headed nowhere, but this just stinks of the Boston media machine doing damage control. I believe this has happened with other players in the past. And like was previously mentioned, did they really expect a 37-year old catcher who made a career out of swinging at everything to suddenly to take a lot of pitches because it's the "Boston Way"? GMAB.

I like how one of the biggest injustices re: AJ was his shouting at umpires. Meanwhile, you have that piece of s*** Ortiz in the dugout losing his mind at the drop of a pin.

AJ probably is an asshole and might have been sabotaging a clubhouse, but there's a reason public shaming like this always falls flat.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 11:19 AM)
ESPN talking vaguely about "executives" believing that Tanaka news will be really bad

if so, the Sox dodged a huge bullet

and HAHA YANKEES YOU OVERPAYED BY 30 MILLION

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 08:13 PM)
SportsCenter ‏@SportsCenter 3m

Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed w/ partially torn ligament in throwing arm. Rehab would take 6 weeks, Tommy John surgery possible if rehab fails.

CAN WE INTEREST YOU IN A DANKS

They should just do TJS on him. They've got him for 5 more years...

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 07:15 PM)
They should just do TJS on him. They've got him for 5 more years...

Essentially 4, although you might as well say 3 1/2 because it's going to be the end of the 2015 season or the first half of 2016 before he's back to "normal" after surgery, and even that's iffy.

It was nice while it lasted. One more black mark in the book for signing pitchers to $100+ million contracts, no matter how young they are.

The only one that's been "okay" so far is Zach Greinke, and you're still talking about a $147 million contract, so it's not ever going to be considered a bargain.