FYI for anyone in the UD for tonight's game -

NorthSideSox72

Just got a call from my rep. If you have season tickets, either directly or you bought them off Stub Hub or something for tonight's game... all those ST tickets are being upgraded to gold boxes for tonight's game and they are closing the UD. You can do the upgrade at the XFinity Zone, or via your rep online.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 02:31 PM)
Just got a call from my rep. If you have season tickets, either directly or you bought them off Stub Hub or something for tonight's game... all those ST tickets are being upgraded to gold boxes for tonight's game and they are closing the UD. You can do the upgrade at the XFinity Zone, or via your rep online.

They are closing the upper deck? So does that mean that people with regular upper deck tickets get moved to the 1st level?

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 02:42 PM)
It's definitely good news for those with UD tickets, but kind of unfair for those who paid LD prices?

eh, it happens a couple-few times a season, I don't see how it is a huge problem. And they wouldn't do this unless the crowds in the UD were going to be pretty tiny, so it won't add much pressure to lines.

Are they charging premium prices for all tickets for this game? Like a few years back against the dodgers during a nice weather july game? I do not know if they do that much anymore, but if they tried to do it this year in April against a WS team, it still does not matter cold night and a week night.

The Cubs games should not even be premium games, because the interest is not their anymore and once again they are doing week night games. At least they could do Thursday,Friday,Saturday, and Sunday. Not sure if they are charging extra for 2 games at the cell for that series or not though

QUOTE (onedog#1 @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 02:52 PM)
Are they charging premium prices for all tickets for this game? Like a few years back against the dodgers during a nice weather july game? I do not know if they do that much anymore, but if they tried to do it this year in April against a WS team, it still does not matter cold night and a week night.

The Cubs games should not even be premium games, because the interest is not their anymore and once again they are doing week night games. At least they could do Thursday,Friday,Saturday, and Sunday. Not sure if they are charging extra for 2 games at the cell for that series or not though

I also feel like fans should be able to use their redemption code for this series if they want too, if they are really closing the uppder deck for tonight or even the whole series, it is silly to not let fans use their redemption code for this game. I know they are trying to run a business and profit and don't want discounted tickets for this series, but better to get a little more fans into the game who might spend a little money while there.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 02:51 PM)
Not sure why they didn't think of this for the 2nd and 3rd games of the year or even in previous years. Saves them money by not having to staff the UD with ushers, concessions, etc.

They read soxtalk and saw my post about getting kicked out of the rf bleachers at old comiskey because they wanted to close it.

QUOTE (onedog#1 @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 02:56 PM)
I also feel like fans should be able to use their redemption code for this series if they want too, if they are really closing the uppder deck for tonight or even the whole series, it is silly to not let fans use their redemption code for this game. I know they are trying to run a business and profit and don't want discounted tickets for this series, but better to get a little more fans into the game who might spend a little money while there.

From what I saw, the Thursday game was selling quite well. So I'd bet it's open for at least that game.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 03:03 PM)
They read soxtalk and saw my post about getting kicked out of the rf bleachers at old comiskey because they wanted to close it.

When I was a kid, they had the RF upper deck closed against the Yankees. I was in the front row right above 1st in the upper deck with my dad. Reggie Jackson hit one into the closed sections. Almost in CF. It was a monsterous poke. I ran down and the usher let me go get it.

In the 50s and 60s the UD at Wrigley was closed more than not. It was a joke among Sox fans in those days that the Cubs couldn't draw flies, couldn't catch them either.

I will never forget a game in the early 60s at Wrigley, it was the first televised event beamed by the Telstar satellite to Europe and the UD was closed but they wanted the folks in Europe to see a lot of people at the park so they let all the general admission customers sit in the lower deck boxes.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

Not sure why they didn't think of this for the 2nd and 3rd games of the year or even in previous years. Saves them money by not having to staff the UD with ushers, concessions, etc.

UD was closed last night due to safety concerns because of ice on the ramps. Had nothing to do with expected attendance.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 16, 2014 -> 10:03 AM)
The ice might have been a nice excuse, but it doesn't happen if attendance is 20,000.

I also kind of wonder if it was a bit of an experiment into trying the open stadium plan again, as a trial.

They have been doing that for every game BUT OD and 4/12.