sox need to trade alexei once out of contention

ron883

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ May 28, 2014 -> 06:54 PM)
I think there's a real chance that Danks can work with the fastball in the 88-90mph range if he can stay there comfortably. He is a lefty with good enough control and secondary stuff, plus there's lot of experience there as well. He could still become a useful piece worth his contract IMO, and the only way you flat out dump the guy is if you're convinced he's a #5 and nothing more. I don't think you dump him for money concerns ATM. It's just too early to write the ending on that guy, especially coming off his last start.

If that's the case then there is literally no one on the roster the White Sox need to dump for being overpaid. Dunn is hitting well enough that he could bring an actual trade return of non-zero value at the deadline if he's moved. Danks is the only long-term commitment underperforming as of now. If we're not dumping him for money concerns then we're not dumping anyone for money concerns.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 28, 2014 -> 05:39 PM)
Why on Earth would the White Sox call this a good thing? At the very least Dunn seems like he's a non-terrible trade chip on his own right now. He's hitting adequately and isn't a long term commitment any more. At the very least the White Sox ought to be able to move Dunn's contract on its own this year if that's what they want to do unless he's hurt.

You talk about the Yankees eating the rest of Danks's salary if he keeps pitching the way he has in all but his last start and maybe you'd have something.

I dunno Dunn has a wRC+ of 137 (good but hardly elite) and a fWAR of .4. Don't get me wrong I'm tickled to death the big donkey is actually producing like he's supposed to but he's essentially a one year rental and won't net much in return even if he is producing. If the Sox are 10 games under .500 in July they have nothing to lose by just getting some salary back.

Well, the point is this is the first time in ages where you could make an argument trading Dunn wouldn't force you to eat salary...even though the return won't be that much.

Of course, where that money goes is another question.

As far as trading Ramirez, other teams also have to be thinking will Alexei still be the same player (in a big market like New York) where every mistake is magnified, and where he will be away from all of his Cuban teammates, and out of his new comfort zone with Steverson.

It's a legit concern for an opposing GM.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 28, 2014 -> 05:15 PM)
I dunno Dunn has a wRC+ of 137 (good but hardly elite) and a fWAR of .4. Don't get me wrong I'm tickled to death the big donkey is actually producing like he's supposed to but he's essentially a one year rental and won't net much in return even if he is producing. If the Sox are 10 games under .500 in July they have nothing to lose by just getting some salary back.

Depends on how many teams are in the hunt and how desperate they are for a big bat. I wouldn't automatically discount the notion we won't get s*** back for Dunn..

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 28, 2014 -> 04:15 PM)

They'd have to play pretty s***ty to be 10 under .500 by the deadline.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 28, 2014 -> 05:36 PM)
Yankees could eat the rest of Dunn's salary in a deal as well. Adding him could make a lot of sense for both clubs as the Yankees could use Dunn as well.

In any deal that the Sox make with the Yankees, I want Gary Sanchez back.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 28, 2014 -> 07:15 PM)

The Sox aren't going to be 10 games under in July. They are more likely to be 10 games over, though I don't think that's going to happen either. I think we'll hover around .500, but that will keep us in contention into September. If we could sort out the pitching, and got some health back, this team could go on a decent winning streak.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 28, 2014 -> 08:56 PM)
They'd have to play pretty s***ty to be 10 under .500 by the deadline.

That would be a collapse on a 2013 scale. We are one over .500, two days before June. We'd have to play under .400 ball for that to happen.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 07:35 PM)
To me, you can't have Micah Johnson, Sanchez and Eaton in the same AL lineup. Way too little power from that trio.

One of them will get traded. Hopefully Semien can provide some good power from 2b.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 09:02 PM)
Also, what about saladino? He is tearing it up in AAA right now for a shortstop. The white sox have so many options as far as infielders go. I think you have to trade Alexei for some pitching prospects

You don't trade Alexei Ramirez because of having Saladino and Sanchez. You trade him because someone makes you a Texeira type offer. If you don't get it, you don't trade him.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 08:56 PM)
I'm not sure it's a lack of power that makes players ideal for those spots.

Those are the spots in the lineup you don't expect much power from and likely where they would fit in.