Your Current Top 10

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 10:29 AM)
Interesting. I still put him at 3 or 4 right now, behind Rodon, Anderson, possibly Hawkins. I think people are forgetting about Johnson's defensive woes.

I have literally heard nothing about Johnson's defense this season, while Caulfield has been able to provide daily updates on Tim Anderson's defense from China. Maybe he's starting to make some strides? I know his errors are down a little versus last year, but that obviously doesn't tell the whole story.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jun 22, 2014 -> 10:57 AM)
I would probably be a supporter of a different ranking system that focuses on how close somebody is to contributing to the MLB roster. Afterall, that is the idea of the term prospect. Hawkins sure is strong, Danish has the quickest release on the planet, Anderson can hit etc, but these aren't grown men yet, so you have to talk subjective ceilings & floors ad nauseum. Check this out: we don't even know if Adams' body can handle 150-200 IP on a consistent basis and we want to say he's a top prospect for our ML Club. Get to AA, prove your ability to be a healthy horse, prove your dedication to your career, and then let's get excited. I think exceptions to this system might be generational potentials like Harper, Trout, Kolek etc- guys that just have IT, or just enough of IT to warrant expedited ascensions through systems.

Unless I'm overlooking somebody, IMO our top 2 prospects are Semien & M Johnson and it ain't even really close. Davidson & Rodon would be the top of the next tier.

And part of growing up and maturing is not only physical but mental. Sometimes it just clicks for a guy all of a sudden and he sees the game in a different light. Can't predict that s***.

Rodon would still be the top prospect.

So I've been engaging in a stupid and mostly time-wasting argument with a guy on another forum who claims to be a "prospect professional". He has a prospect book on Amazon, so he feels like he is the authority on prospects.

Anyway. He is adament that the Sox system is the 29th or 30th farm system in baseball. He isn't quite sure if the Angels farm system is worse. Despite the fact that I told him all the major publications rank the system somewhere between 21-27, he insist Rodon is the only worthwhile prospect, and the only one who is a top 100 prospect.

Thinks Courtney Hawkins, Micah Johnson, Tyler Danish and all those guys are pretty much garbage. Just to try and see how ridiculous he is willing to go with this, I compared the Brewers top prospects to the Sox. In case you were wondering, the Brewers are considered the 2nd worst farm system, and of the top 7 prospects or so in the Brewers organization, they are ALL having terrible seasons, except for 1 pitcher they have who is dominating. One particularly interesting opinion he has is that Orlando Arcia is a better SS prospect than Tim Anderson.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 06:27 PM)
So I've been engaging in a stupid and mostly time-wasting argument with a guy on another forum who claims to be a "prospect professional". He has a prospect book on Amazon, so he feels like he is the authority on prospects.

Anyway. He is adament that the Sox system is the 29th or 30th farm system in baseball. He isn't quite sure if the Angels farm system is worse. Despite the fact that I told him all the major publications rank the system somewhere between 21-27, he insist Rodon is the only worthwhile prospect, and the only one who is a top 100 prospect.

Thinks Courtney Hawkins, Micah Johnson, Tyler Danish and all those guys are pretty much garbage. Just to try and see how ridiculous he is willing to go with this, I compared the Brewers top prospects to the Sox. In case you were wondering, the Brewers are considered the 2nd worst farm system, and of the top 7 prospects or so in the Brewers organization, they are ALL having terrible seasons, except for 1 pitcher they have who is dominating. One particularly interesting opinion he has is that Orlando Arcia is a better SS prospect than Tim Anderson.

You could take a bias into evaluate any prospect and come up with any type of result you want. To give you an example I saw recently, Keith Law did a chat before the draft and played devil's advocate with Tyler Kolek, who you should keep in mind, he ranked as the #3 overall player.

"Sean (SF) [via mobile]

Crazy how many people are caught up in Koleks velocity more than his tools

Klaw (1:58 PM)

Bingo. If I wanted to crush him, I'd argue that he has below-average command, his slider isn't effective vs LHB because he can't locate it, he doesn't throw his changeup, and he'll have to work to maintain his physical conditioning. If I didn't tell you that he throws 100 mph, wouldn't you ask why the heck that guy was in consideration in the top few picks?"

The first few words tells it all, "If I WANTED to crush him..." There has to be a bias present to completely focus on the positives or negatives of a certain player.

Edited by southside hitman

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 12:27 AM)

Thinks Courtney Hawkins, Micah Johnson, Tyler Danish and all those guys are pretty much garbage. Just to try

and see how ridiculous he is willing to go with this, I compared the Brewers top prospects to the Sox. In case you

were wondering, the Brewers are considered the 2nd worst farm system, and of the top 7 prospects or so in the

Brewers organization, they are ALL having terrible seasons, except for 1 pitcher they have who is dominating.

One particularly interesting opinion he has is that Orlando Arcia is a better SS prospect than Tim Anderson.

to further add to what southside hitman mentioned there are no parameter establish when comparing

prospects in this situation. 2 different type of players, 1 in a "slick fielding" prospect while the other is a very good

bat. as prospects goes, I would love to have both on my team.

THREE UP

SS Tim Anderson, White Sox: When the ChiSox drafted the 20-year-old Anderson with the 17th overall pick in last summer's draft, everyone knew he was toolsy but raw. There figured to be some developmental bumps in the road as he turned those tools into baseball skills, but instead he is hitting .303/.332/.480 with 16 doubles, seven triples, five home runs and 10 stolen bases in his first 61 High Class-A games. Anderson's power has played better than expected and his defense at short has made huge strides. The only concern is that he's a total hacker (61/7 K/BB), but otherwise Anderson appears to be more advanced than initially believed.

from cbssports.com

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 06:52 AM)
The only concern is that he's a total hacker (61/7 K/BB), but otherwise Anderson appears to be more advanced than initially believed.

Hacking is a big concern. It often translates into big problems hitting ML pitching, as per the White Sox hitters. This is where development comes in - good issue for him to work on for a while in the minors.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 08:12 AM)
Who is this dude you were arguing with? What is his actual name (if he has a published book, he must have mentioned a name)?

J.D. Bolick.

I keep telling him "The professionals think the Sox system is between 21-27, and that Tim Anderson will likely be a top 100 prospect". And he keeps replying with "I am a professional. You like to talk s*** about my rankings, but then reference the rankings of other professionals. I am a professional just like them." Basically he thinks his opinion is just as important and respected as Jason Parks, Jim Callis, John Manuel, Keith Law, Dave Cameron, and the like. He's got a real ego on him I guess.

By the way, I through out this comment before I saw the Jason Parks-Tim Anderson Top 50 thing, and he's been using this comment as a "You're just a giant homer, you know nothing about baseball, I am a professional, you should be learning from my wisdom, not fighting me on this." I was trying to convey to him how the 29th or 30th ranked farm system's don't have 2, 3, or even 5 top 100 ranked players.

......."Anderson will be somewhere around the 50-60 range. Micah will be near the 80-90 range. Then there is a chance that Frank Montas makes some lists, and maybe Courtney Hawkins if he keeps up his improved year."

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 12:48 PM)
J.D. Bolick.

I keep telling him "The professionals think the Sox system is between 21-27, and that Tim Anderson will likely be a top 100 prospect". And he keeps replying with "I am a professional. You like to talk s*** about my rankings, but then reference the rankings of other professionals. I am a professional just like them." Basically he thinks his opinion is just as important and respected as Jason Parks, Jim Callis, John Manuel, Keith Law, Dave Cameron, and the like. He's got a real ego on him I guess.

By the way, I through out this comment before I saw the Jason Parks-Tim Anderson Top 50 thing, and he's been using this comment as a "You're just a giant homer, you know nothing about baseball, I am a professional, you should be learning from my wisdom, not fighting me on this." I was trying to convey to him how the 29th or 30th ranked farm system's don't have 2, 3, or even 5 top 100 ranked players.

......."Anderson will be somewhere around the 50-60 range. Micah will be near the 80-90 range. Then there is a chance that Frank Montas makes some lists, and maybe Courtney Hawkins if he keeps up his improved year."

He's a fantasy sports writer. His books are about fantasy football, and baseball. He's not a prospect expert, he's a fantasy sports dude.

In any case, I wouldn't get all worked up. I'll take the opinions of actual baseball experts first.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 01:22 PM)
He's a fantasy sports writer. His books are about fantasy football, and baseball. He's not a prospect expert, he's a fantasy sports dude.

In any case, I wouldn't get all worked up. I'll take the opinions of actual baseball experts first.

I know, I'm just looking for bullets to use against him. The Jason Park-Tim Anderson Top 50 thing was excellent ammunition. Micah Johnson making the Future's Game is another nice bullet too.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 02:07 PM)
I know, I'm just looking for bullets to use against him. The Jason Park-Tim Anderson Top 50 thing was excellent ammunition. Micah Johnson making the Future's Game is another nice bullet too.

Also the fact that he's only selling fantasy sports books on Amazon is a good bullet against him.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 02:13 PM)
Also the fact that he's only selling fantasy sports books on Amazon is a good bullet against him.

Oh yeah, I've already gone that route about how writing a fantasy sports book on Amazon that no one has reviewed is nothing to make me bow down for. He replies... "You look incredibly foolish for ranting over and over again about what "the professionals" think only to find out that you were arguing with one, but don't look even more absurd by pretending that you know anything about my reputation within the industry."

And now that Micah Johnson and Frank Montas have been named to the Future's Game, that will certainly help my case even more.

No offense Chili but grow up. Who gives a rats nat about something someone else commented on. Is it really that important to spend your time discrediting him? Are you looking for some big ego trip by disproving him on the web or something? Who cares.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 04:40 PM)
No offense Chili but grow up. Who gives a rats nat about something someone else commented on. Is it really that important to spend your time discrediting him? Are you looking for some big ego trip by disproving him on the web or something? Who cares.

It's a message board, where people discuss things. We are discussing top prospects and where they rank. I'm not sure where the outrage is, other than it not having to do w/ this thread, in which case that is completely understandable.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 03:03 PM)
It's a message board, where people discuss things. We are discussing top prospects and where they rank. I'm not sure where the outrage is, other than it not having to do w/ this thread, in which case that is completely understandable.

We don't care about some argument you had on another site. None of us care. If you really need to make such comments, do so on some forum where people care, but that place isn't Soxtalk. By commenting the way you do, you just look like an individual that gets off putting people down.

MUST DEFEND SOX SYSTEM RANKING AT ALL COSTS!!!

Intruder alert, intruder alert!

You're more likely to get him to rank the White Sox 30th just to make you more upset. In reality, there's no way to "prove" anyone wrong online unless you just take their rankings and systematically look at them 3-5 and even 7-10 years down the line and find out how far it's off.

Even the experts are wrong 30-50% of the time. With the proliferation of these online "experts/bloggers/professionals" who probably haven't even seen half of the major leaguers play, let alone the majority of prospects, it's all to be taken with a massive grain of salt.

The last time the White Sox system was #1, we ended up with almost nothing to show for it in terms of major league results, other than Garland, Buehrle (who wasn't even that highly-rated, naturally) and having the pieces in Reed/Olivo/Morse to make the Garcia deal.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 05:26 PM)
MUST DEFEND SOX SYSTEM RANKING AT ALL COSTS!!!

Intruder alert, intruder alert!

You're more likely to get him to rank the White Sox 30th just to make you more upset. In reality, there's no way to "prove" anyone wrong online unless you just take their rankings and systematically look at them 3-5 and even 7-10 years down the line and find out how far it's off.

Even the experts are wrong 30-50% of the time. With the proliferation of these online "experts/bloggers/professionals" who probably haven't even seen half of the major leaguers play, let alone the majority of prospects, it's all to be taken with a grain of salt.

The last time the White Sox system was #1, we ended up with almost nothing to show for it in terms of major league results, other than Garland, Buehrle (who wasn't even that highly-rated, naturally) and having the pieces in Reed/Olivo/Morse to make the Garcia deal.

Besides, by spreading said argument amongst multiple places, you are probably driving clicks to the blogger, which is exactly what they want.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 05:23 PM)
We don't care about some argument you had on another site. None of us care. If you really need to make such comments, do so on some forum where people care, but that place isn't Soxtalk. By commenting the way you do, you just look like an individual that gets off putting people down.

No one cares....yet multiple people replied...got it.

Or you COULD just say "Ok, let's get back on topic now", and be done with it. But obviously that would have been too mild and uninsulting. And picking fights is more fun I guess. But you're an admin, so I'll just sit here and take it.

OK, LET'S GET BACK ON TOPIC NOW....