Chris Sale

Jose Abreu

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 4, 2014 -> 10:03 PM)
Sans the Trout granny, Sale has a 1.74 ERA this year.....Yes I'm cherry pickin again....Cherries are delicious.

And hey the ice cream ain't bad as well: 8-1, 87.1IP, 96K, 16BB, 2.16ERA, .86WHIP

Pitching half his games in an very good hitters' park.

Dude's special. We should all enjoy him and and Jose for the next half decade or so.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 4, 2014 -> 07:03 PM)
Sans the Trout granny, Sale has a 1.74 ERA this year.....Yes I'm cherry pickin again....Cherries are delicious.

If Robin had replaced Viciedo in LF for the 9th DeAza catches the ball Tank missed and Sale gets the shut out. That 1 run kept him from taking the AL lead in ERA which he now qualifies for and WHIP. He is 2nd in both now I believe.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 12:07 AM)
I'm extremely biased but Sale and Abreu are two of like the 5 most must see players in baseball.

One is a Top 5 pitcher with filthy stuff and the other has home runs that look like they'd be weak singles from anyone else.

You're not wrong.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 02:47 AM)
If Robin had replaced Viciedo in LF for the 9th DeAza catches the ball Tank missed and Sale gets the shut out. That 1 run kept him from taking the AL lead in ERA which he now qualifies for and WHIP. He is 2nd in both now I believe.

imho, just trying to make DV look good for trade value...... which failed.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 12:58 AM)
imho, just trying to make DV look good for trade value...... which failed.

Any trade value he has is for his bat not glove. He was already 4 for 4 ,and had gunned down Ackley trying to stretch a single into a double. It's not like the Mariners don't know Viciedo has been taken out of games in late innings for better defense.

Ken Rosenthal released his picks for the all-star game, if he were to pick every player, starters and reserves.

Not only did he leave Alexei off his list, which I didn't get too upset about because Alexei is a borderline guy, IMO, but he left Chris Sale off his list too. One of the guys he DID include was Garrett Richards instead. I argued that this was asinine, and there is no reason the AL would be better served to win the game with Garrett Richards pitching versus Chris Sale. Rosenthal's only reason was because Sale had a DL stint this year. He is only 8 innings short of qualifying for the leaderboards right now, in which his AL ranks would put him 1st in WHIP, 1st in oppAVG, 3rd in ERA, 4th in LD%, 5th in K/BB, 7th in K/9, 8th in BB/9, and top 10 in various other parameters. And yet he doesn't get recognized as one of the top 9 pitchers in the AL this year.

But thank god Derek Jeter gets a roster spot.

Alexei is not a borderline guy by any measure. The Sox lead the AL in SS OPS. Alexei has been amazing this year. You can better cases for leaving Sale and even Abreu out before Alexei.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 09:26 AM)
Any trade value he has is for his bat not glove. He was already 4 for 4 ,and had gunned down Ackley trying to stretch a single into a double. It's not like the Mariners don't know Viciedo has been taken out of games in late innings for better defense.

good point

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 02:22 AM)
One is a Top 5 pitcher with filthy stuff and the other has home runs that look like they'd be weak singles from anyone else.

You're not wrong.

I was a tad intoxicated when I made that post but it's 100 percent accurate.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 11:15 AM)
ESPN has Sale, Ramirez, and Petricka making the all-star team...

Just curious, where did you see that? Saw a page with ESPN experts picking their respective teams and Petricka wasn't found on any of them. Glad to see they all had Sale in, as he deserves it despite that DL stint.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 01:20 PM)
When I was looking at WAR(apparently the crappy kind) today I was dumbfounded to see Jake has the 25th highest of any pitcher. Most of any reliever.

That is both hysterical and awesome.

QUOTE (BBaum21 @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 12:11 PM)
Just curious, where did you see that? Saw a page with ESPN experts picking their respective teams and Petricka wasn't found on any of them. Glad to see they all had Sale in, as he deserves it despite that DL stint.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/playerratings/_/typ...starprojections

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 10:17 PM)
ESPN's WAR is notoriously flawed. Fangraphs is much better and Petrick has a 0.4 WAR according to it. He has been solid this year, but his peripherals are not great.

don't they just use B-R's?

QUOTE (woods of ypres @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 10:18 PM)
No. Fangraph has its own WAR. (People usually called fWAR around the internet). Fangraphs does use B-R's war, they just call it rWAR.

He meant ESPN.

Yes, ESPN just uses B-R's war.

fWAR ---> Fangraphs

bWAR or rWAR ---> Baseball Reference

ESPN had a 50/50 shot at finally getting something about baseball right, and they got it wrong.

Edited by Chilihead90