Sox Draft Carlos Rodon> Draft Day Discussion Thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 03:10 PM)
Screw the "safe" pick we need another ace to pair with Sale, if the Sox can get an ace there they have to try imo. You get two aces, suddenly playoff series' become a lot more winnable.

There is no ace to pair with Sale in the draft. Its not like the other drafts where you have a pretty good idea of what you are getting, none of the top 5 pitchers in this draft are even guarantees to remain as starters.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 09:16 PM)
There is no ace to pair with Sale in the draft. Its not like the other drafts where you have a pretty good idea of what you are getting, none of the top 5 pitchers in this draft are even guarantees to remain as starters.

Yes, those surefire previous mlb drafts that happened in the past.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 04:16 PM)

Yea I'm not seeing that. Aiken and Rodon and Kolek are widely considered potential aces. Rodon's stats in college compare well with Strasburgs.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 03:19 PM)
Sure, if you hate money, that's a great way to get yourself onto team 6.

Sometimes there are things other than money at play. Teams can promise a spot on the 40 man roster or for college players a call up to the majors at the end of the season starting the players arb clock so they can reach free agency more quickly.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 03:19 PM)
Yes, those surefire previous mlb drafts that happened in the past.

There were some guys like Strasburg and Harper that were seen as a surefire things and have for the most part lived up to the hype. Rodon was thought to be that before this season, but the combination of his lack of control and his overuse has devalued him to the point where some scouts have said he may eventually be in the bullpen.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 03:19 PM)
Yea I'm not seeing that. Aiken and Rodon and Kolek are widely considered potential aces. Rodon's stats in college compare well with Strasburgs.

Yes there is potential, but none are close to reaching that and have a lot of development and none are seen as such a sure thing as Strasburg was. There are things to like about each, Aiken seems to be the best bet when considering his prior workload, assortment of pitches, control, easy velocity and feel for pitching.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 02:58 PM)
I still wonder what Buddy holds over everyone to remain employed in baseball.

When he managed, with every organization he managed, the team was better the year before and the year after he managed them than they were when he managed them. And his comments about some of the stiffs currently in the White Sox system lead me to believe he must be a volunteer they just don't have the heart to tell him to go take a walk.

That of course being if you don't just view Bell as another Minister of Propaganda and take everything he states with a massive grain of salt, much like taking what Kenny Williams has to say at face value.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 02:23 PM)
Apparently stats don't matter though. Nola's numbers are better than Rodons.

They mostly don't. What do you think Dylan Axelrod could do to college hitters? Yeah, Nola can handle college hitters, but if he has nothing to improve upon, then he's got to take the same skillset to the MLB and hope it works. Rodon, on the other hand, can also handle college hitters, but has so much work to do with his command and control that he can become a much better player.

Maybe Nola DOES have room to grow, I'm jsut going off of what I've read, but that's the idea anyway. Projection is important.

Haven't seen as much of Kolek so can't really throw out an informed opinion, but based on what you read it seems like a great spot to be in tonight.

I love pitchers that can throw a 2 seemer 92+ with excellent movement. I love pitchers that can command three plus pitches. I love pitchers that grasp how to get batters out and have a great mental makeup. That's what I see in Nola, and if we decide Kolek is better than that we're in a great spot.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 03:40 PM)
Potential being the key word there.

Well it's the baseball draft, it's all "potential." Where I disagree with some is that I'm always taking the highest ceiling over anything else.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 03:44 PM)
Well it's the baseball draft, it's all "potential." Where I disagree with some is that I'm always taking the highest ceiling over anything else.

It isn't just ceiling though. The odds of someone getting to that ceiling are pretty important.

From BP Chat:

Shawnykid23 (CT): How would you compare the top 3 arms in this year's draft to last year's? Basically, ignoring MILB performance, only coming into the draft how would you rank Appel, Gray, Stewart, Aiken, Rodon, and Kolek?

Draft Day Chat with Nick J. Faleris: I'd strike Kolek and add Nola as third best arm in this class. Then give me Gray, Aiken, Rodon, Appel, Nola, Stewart. I could be talked into arranging the last three in basically any order. Also I could be talked into Aiken over Gray without much effort. How's that for hedging my bets?

Also from BP Chat:

Anthony (Nj): With more younger players coming into the league and making a bigger impact during the past 3 years. Are teams looking at newly drafted players to make an impact sooner than they have in the past? Has draft strategy changed because of it?

Draft Day Chat with Nick J. Faleris: I think there is added focus on young, cost-controlled major league talent right now, and as a result teams are doing a better job (or at least trying to do a better job) of giving the bump in value to draft profiles that come with more certainty, even if it's at the cost of upside. I think you can see some orgs skewing in that direction, certainly, if only by way of a more balanced approach.