2014-2015 NBA thread

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 3, 2014 -> 11:37 AM)
Cavs need to win at least two titles to justify trading Wiggins away. They're going to so regret it otherwise. LeBron and Wiggins on the wings defensively would terrorize opposing offenses.

Win just ONE in Cleveland and Wiggins would be long forgotten (unless he turns out to be a Top 50 All-Time great, quite unlikely, doesn't seem like he has the consistent willpower to take over games or impress himself upon a game rather than fading into the background when he gets off to a slow start)...they're that desperate for ANY title in any sport.

Edited by caulfield12

Let me start this by saying I'm not a huge NBA fan or a Bulls fan, but one of the best teams in any four year span (Miami) just broke apart. Indiana lost their best player to a gruesome knee injury and is out for 2014-2015 (maybe longer), and the Bulls aren't going to make a play for Kevin Love? Obviously, they could be under the radar but every analyst has Love going to Cleveland. Shouldn't the Bulls make a better attempt for Love? If Cleveland gets Love, they pretty much become the new Miami, but the Bulls could become the new Miami, too.

Ok, rip me to pieces.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Aug 3, 2014 -> 09:22 PM)
Let me start this by saying I'm not a huge NBA fan or a Bulls fan, but one of the best teams in any four year span (Miami) just broke apart. Indiana lost their best player to a gruesome knee injury and is out for 2014-2015 (maybe longer), and the Bulls aren't going to make a play for Kevin Love? Obviously, they could be under the radar but every analyst has Love going to Cleveland. Shouldn't the Bulls make a better attempt for Love? If Cleveland gets Love, they pretty much become the new Miami, but the Bulls could become the new Miami, too.

Ok, rip me to pieces.

If the TWolves view Wiggins as a future superstar there's really nothing the Bulls can do. The supposed Mirotic/McDermott/Taj offer is a HUGE offer and they can't any better than that.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 3, 2014 -> 09:47 PM)
If the TWolves view Wiggins as a future superstar there's really nothing the Bulls can do. The supposed Mirotic/McDermott/Taj offer is a HUGE offer and they can't any better than that.

Yea seriously, the Bulls have limited assets that they can offer, and they pretty much put their best offer possible on the table. It just so happened that the Cavs were willing to give up the #1 pick for Love, you can't compete against that usually.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 01:38 AM)
So, I respect zoom a ton. Zoom, what do you think of the advanced stat RAPM?

I honestly haven't read much on it, I took a quick glance when it first came out. In general, I take advanced basketball stats with a huge grain of salt. It's difficult to separate individual value from the context of their team and role. I've noticed that role players on good teams fare well in most models, especially when compared to good but not great players on bad teams. Someone like Nick Collison usually rates very high, but you still have to project what he'd do in a bigger role on a different team.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 3, 2014 -> 09:47 PM)

This. If Wiggins is in the deal, the Bulls can't do any better.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 08:45 AM)
This. If Wiggins is in the deal, the Bulls can't do any better.

The one thing that could happen is Love, maybe through his reps, ends up deciding Chicago is a far better destination for himself and he plays a little hardball and throws a wrinkle into the mix.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 10:51 AM)
The one thing that could happen is Love, maybe through his reps, ends up deciding Chicago is a far better destination for himself and he plays a little hardball and throws a wrinkle into the mix.

Absolutely.

At the time and in hindsight, I wish the Bulls had prioritized love trade prior to the draft. It's likely Minny would have waited anyway for best deal, but they let another stronger suitor into the trade mix and lost out.

Also, prior to the draft their assets made more sense to transfer. Gibson, rights to Mirotic, #16 and #19 is easier to accomplish. Try to make it a 3 team deal to get higher draft pick for minny. But after the draft it was awkward to flip Mirotic, and frankly the team outfit had become strange to include Love with addition of Gasol. Not that you wouldn't take that upgrade, but the frontcourt became crowded with similar players.

I'm excited for the Bulls team, but I wish they would have made the full court press for Love earlier. I'm guessing Cleveland will look weak for first two months, but James will be able to facilitate more than ever and save some energy for D. It will be hard for any east team to take 4 out of 7 against him. (as it was when he was on trash CLE teams).

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 08:24 AM)
I honestly haven't read much on it, I took a quick glance when it first came out. In general, I take advanced basketball stats with a huge grain of salt. Iespeciallys difficult to separate individual value from the context of their team and role.I've noticed that role players on good teams fare well in most models, especially when compared to good but not great players on bad teams. Someone like Nick Collison usually rates very high, but you still have to project what he'd do in a bigger role on a different team.

Yeah, I completely agree. There are so many variables to take into account. I only asked because realgm is doing a top 100 list and they ranked KG #11 all time (some even had him as high as #4) due to RAPM. It just seemed insane to me. I like getting other people's points of view.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 01:31 PM)
Yeah, I completely agree. There are so many variables to take into account. I only asked because realgm is doing a top 100 list and they ranked KG #11 all time (some even had him as high as #4) due to RAPM. It just seemed insane to me. I like getting other people's points of view.

Oh man, if you take it to a historical perspective, that's even sillier. I remember seeing an article in ESPN magazine a while back trying to use win shares to re-do the Hall of Fame. You get silly stuff like Isaiah Thomas, James Worthy and Sam Jones being out while Terry Porter, Detlef Schrempf and Jeff Hornacek are in. :bang

Actually, here is the article.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 07:30 PM)
Ugh god I hate how everything works out for Lebron. Marion visiting Cleveland despite only min being offered.

There are tons of unsubstantiated rumors on twitter about him signing with the Bulls as well.