Sox willing to deal Beckham in "right deal now"

Heads22

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 12:11 PM)
Micah Johnson is not being blocked by anyone. He is not ready for the majors yet. Even if Beckham is traded, he will not be the guy called up.

This is likely true, and it is also likely temporary, imo. I think they want Micah to take the 2B job eventually, even if he isn't ready for it today. If he finishes the Charlotte season strongly, his Sept callup will be an audition. Meanwhile, Marcus will take the majority of 2B reps for the rest of the year, and also get looks at 3B vs, lefties, SS and OF. If Micah steps up, Marcus will be in a super-utility role for at least part of next season while they evaluate his ability to take over at SS.

Just my guess as to how things will unfold. Unless Lexi gets traded soon, which I'm not expecting.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 01:32 PM)
This is likely true, and it is also likely temporary, imo. I think they want Micah to take the 2B job eventually, even if he isn't ready for it today. If he finishes the Charlotte season strongly, his Sept callup will be an audition. Meanwhile, Marcus will take the majority of 2B reps for the rest of the year, and also get looks at 3B vs, lefties, SS and OF. If Micah steps up, Marcus will be in a super-utility role for at least part of next season while they evaluate his ability to take over at SS.

Just my guess as to how things will unfold. Unless Lexi gets traded soon, which I'm not expecting.

I have no doubt they think Micah will be a player for them, but it is obvious to me that we are talking about probably late 2015, maybe even 2016 right now.

There is no good reason to rush the kid right now.

For my two cents, both Semien and Sanchez are clearly in front of Johnson.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 12:53 PM)
I have no doubt they think Micah will be a player for them, but it is obvious to me that we are talking about probably late 2015, maybe even 2016 right now.

There is no good reason to rush the kid right now.

For my two cents, both Semien and Sanchez are clearly in front of Johnson.

I doubt it will be that long because Micah hasn't taken that long to adjust to the other levels he's advanced to, but we shall see. As soon as the org sees him taking walks sufficiently, he'll be here, imo.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 06:45 PM)
Uggla to the Giants. So that could take them out of middle infield trade targets.

Are the Giants a fit as a trade partner for the Sox? I think Andrew Susac would be an excellent target as a possible long-term solution to the catcher position. He's in AAA and is presumably close to being MLB ready so would fit in with what Hahn has been doing recently. He should be at least average defensively with a nice offensive skillset and is obviously blocked by Posey.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 08:42 PM)
Are the Giants a fit as a trade partner for the Sox? I think Andrew Susac would be an excellent target as a possible long-term solution to the catcher position. He's in AAA and is presumably close to being MLB ready so would fit in with what Hahn has been doing recently. He should be at least average defensively with a nice offensive skillset and is obviously blocked by Posey.

I like ryan and p O'Brien from the NYY as catcher. right now ryan is start in place of the backup

catcher at the majors.

Barney just got cut by Cubs. While Beckham is better and has a little more pop in his bat, neither can hit well and both play above average defense. Beckham does have the better pedigree as well, but I really think anyone thinking we'll get anything all that interesting for Becks is delusional but I hope I'm wrong.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 06:19 PM)
Barney just got cut by Cubs. While Beckham is better and has a little more pop in his bat, neither can hit well and both play above average defense. Beckham does have the better pedigree as well, but I really think anyone thinking we'll get anything all that interesting for Becks is delusional but I hope I'm wrong.

I get your point that his value is super low but Barney has no upside with his bat whatsoever. Beckham has an appeal that will continue to be argued into his 30s, probably to the detriment of many GMs and fan bases.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 08:23 PM)
Beckham has much more than Barney.

That said, I would consider claiming Barney. He can play SS. Hopefully, we'll need a SS within the next 8 days.

We have 2 guys in the minors who can play SS waiting to come up. Why would we waste our time on a guy who got cut by the Cubs and hits worse then Beckham?

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 09:29 PM)
We have 2 guys in the minors who can play SS waiting to come up. Why would we waste our time on a guy who got cut by the Cubs and hits worse then Beckham?

We do have Middle Infielders, but who besides Sanchez is a shortstop?

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 06:32 AM)
Semien has played 226 games at SS the next highest is 2B at 72

We really don't want to touch Barney with a barge pole. Barney is the worst hitter I have seen, the Cubs in some games preferred to bring in Travis Wood as a pinch hitter over Barney.

His defense is excellent but we can't afford to carry another bum who can't hit when we already have so many in the team.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 02:42 PM)

Unless they move Posey to 1B.

Which would make Brandon Belt an attractive target.

I don' think anyone thinks we should GET Barney, I think Chisoxfn was just pointing out that there probably isn't anyone who would give up value for Beckham than just pick up Barney for free. Maybe Beckham is a bit better, but not nearly enough better to justify giving up real value when Barney costs nothing.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 03:27 AM)
Unless they move Posey to 1B.

Which would make Brandon Belt an attractive target.

I think the Sox are covered at first. I dont know why you want another first baseman(Howard), but I am fairly sure that the Sox will be using Abreu going forward

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 07:26 AM)
I don' think anyone thinks we should GET Barney, I think Chisoxfn was just pointing out that there probably isn't anyone who would give up value for Beckham than just pick up Barney for free. Maybe Beckham is a bit better, but not nearly enough better to justify giving up real value when Barney costs nothing.

That's exactly what I took from his post. Like it or not fans have a tendency to over value their teams players. If Beckham is moved it won't be for the return specs, it will be the Sox looking to move one of the middle infielders up from Charlotte to get an early look with regards to next season .

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 06:05 PM)
I get your point that his value is super low but Barney has no upside with his bat whatsoever. Beckham has an appeal that will continue to be argued into his 30s, probably to the detriment of many GMs and fan bases.

I don't see it. Guy has been a bum most of his career. I think Sox fans seem to think this but he's been a lousy hitter for a while and has real poor hitting mechanics. Had it not been for his initial season of production, he'd have been dropped a while ago. He does play very good defense, although it doesn't seem to come across in some of the defensive metrics, so you probably don't even get a ton of value for that in the trade market. Bottom line, we aren't going to get anything but a bag of baseballs for Gordon and I'm okay with that. The team needs to move on and Gordon needs to. He'll probably end up being more productive somewhere else but he will never amount to anything with the White Sox.

The best you are going to get for Gordon Beckham is a guy like Jeff Soptic or Cleuluis Rondon, someone who is talented but is absolutely as raw as raw can be. More likely you end up with a AAA reliever who puts up good numbers in the minors but has 1 1/2 pitches and can barely break 92 MPH or you outright DFA him.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 09:52 AM)
The best you are going to get for Gordon Beckham is a guy like Jeff Soptic or Cleuluis Rondon, someone who is talented but is absolutely as raw as raw can be. More likely you end up with a AAA reliever who puts up good numbers in the minors but has 1 1/2 pitches and can barely break 92 MPH or you outright DFA him.

Speaking of Soptic, here are his numbers.....

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?s...&pid=573168

Yikes, great trade Rick Hahn

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 10:15 AM)
Speaking of Soptic, here are his numbers.....

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?s...&pid=573168

Yikes, great trade Rick Hahn

Yes it was. Hard to blame the Giants for making the trade though because Gillaspie was out of options and they weren't going to carry him, so at the very least, they got a guy that can throw a ball through a brick wall.