2015 MLB Draft

ChiSoxJon

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 06:26 PM)
If you are the White Sox, do you take your chances and draft Aiken in the first after agreeing to a well below slot signing and than from there have cushion to be a little extra aggressive in the later rounds (nabbing some guys who fell). I guess the question is how much less would Aiken take and what are the Sox view of his recovery / med's and overall upside. If we were picking later in the 1st round, I'd say it was an easier decision. I also am not sure if fact we don't have 2nd / 3rd round picks makes situation better or worse.

I would.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 11:26 PM)
If you are the White Sox, do you take your chances and draft Aiken in the first after agreeing to a well below slot signing and than from there have cushion to be a little extra aggressive in the later rounds (nabbing some guys who fell). I guess the question is how much less would Aiken take and what are the Sox view of his recovery / med's and overall upside. If we were picking later in the 1st round, I'd say it was an easier decision. I also am not sure if fact we don't have 2nd / 3rd round picks makes situation better or worse.

as i hated to think of something like this, so fast after Aiken's injury, but life goes on. the wild card in you post is no pick in the 2 and 3rd. do the sox goes for who and what is the priority.

my question before any others is, i think maybe someone with medical can add, wasn't there something about having a thinner than normal ligament in his elbow? can that be fix?

so those are my main question before i start to think about drafting him.

i like to see the mock draft and see how far he falls and who moves up.

If we could get him for underslot, I'd do it.

Hadn't really thought about this until now. But I have to say I would if we could get him under-slot like you mentioned. I think I'd be willing to take that chance.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 01:12 AM)
If we could get him for underslot, I'd do it.

at #8, Aiken (after surgery), Kirby, Allard, Matuella, Bickford, or Fullmer. who still has the higher upside??

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 06:45 PM)
as i hated to think of something like this, so fast after Aiken's injury, but life goes on. the wild card in you post is no pick in the 2 and 3rd. do the sox goes for who and what is the priority.

my question before any others is, i think maybe someone with medical can add, wasn't there something about having a thinner than normal ligament in his elbow? can that be fix?

so those are my main question before i start to think about drafting him.

i like to see the mock draft and see how far he falls and who moves up.

This draft isn't nearly as deep as it has been in previous years. One scout said that this class is below average to average in terms of depth. I'm fine with losing those picks.

I would definitely take Aiken at 8 because our rotation would be set for the next 4 years if we do sign Samardzija, so there would be no rush for a player to get to the majors

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 07:26 PM)

Yes.

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 05:19 PM)
at #8, Aiken (after surgery), Kirby, Allard, Matuella, Bickford, or Fullmer. who still has the higher upside??

From that list I'd go with Matuella, Bickford, a toss up between Kirby and Aiken and then I'd go with Buehler and even Funkhouser before Allard and Fullmer. Don't really like the size of Fulmer, he could light it up like Stroman but I'd feel more comfortable is the Sox took someone with a bigger frame and more projectability.

As to the original question posed regarding Aiken, I wouldn't choose Aiken unless he gives us a steep discount which I think is extremely unlikely to happen. I'd rather take someone that has a clean history and similar projectability than someone coming off of TJ surgery, but I'm skeptical of the conventional wisdom that TJ surgery is some kind of cure-all for pitchers.

Aiken's looking at having to take the same $2.75-3.25 million that Jeff Hoffman ended up with at 9.

Since this is going to be the second time around, it would seem he has even less leverage because he doesn't want to go back to IMG Academy for another full year of mixed results and then see his draft stock fall even further...at least now, he's guaranteed of getting around $3 million and $2.5 million as the very worst-case scenario unless medical evaluations raise even more red flags re: the TJ repair and the likelihood of it holding together for at least 5-6 years before another surgery,

Underslot? Definitely

Well this goes back to my scenario from a couple months ago that many on the board weren't down with. I would draft Aiken. If he chooses not to sign, White Sox could potentially have 3 1st round picks in 2016. Either you put Aiken into your farm system or you get to load up like crazy next year.

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 01:46 AM)
From that list I'd go with Matuella, Bickford, a toss up between Kirby and Aiken and then I'd go with Buehler and even Funkhouser before Allard and Fullmer. Don't really like the size of Fulmer, he could light it up like Stroman but I'd feel more comfortable is the Sox took someone with a bigger frame and more projectability.

As to the original question posed regarding Aiken, I wouldn't choose Aiken unless he gives us a steep discount which I think is extremely unlikely to happen. I'd rather take someone that has a clean history and similar projectability than someone coming off of TJ surgery, but I'm skeptical of the conventional wisdom that TJ surgery is some kind of cure-all for pitchers.

nice post, my concerns with Matuella is medical, pretty much like Aiken was last week.

a very good point about the TJ cure all comment.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 03:16 AM)
Well this goes back to my scenario from a couple months ago that many on the board weren't down with. I would draft Aiken. If he chooses not to sign, White Sox could potentially have 3 1st round picks in 2016. Either you put Aiken into your farm system or you get to load up like crazy next year.

i like this idea, alot.

but i hate to be a killjoy, this pick may be worth something to help the team, the major league team.

~~~ edit, how is next yr draft

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 03:52 PM)
[/b]

All depends on how well he responds to surgery. Ask Gavin Floyd what TJ has done for him.

interesting point of view. now it seems as it is a forgone conclusion that the pitcher will come back the same or better. i remember, the industry was unsure of those pitchers, b/c it was relatively a new idea, without a history of results.

those results, since then has been very positive, but it is not 100% fix all. look at some pitchers needing to get a 2nd procedure, and as you said, look at G. Floyd.

nice post you made.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 11:44 AM)
I sure as hell know that I would not want Aiken at #8. He's already gone through so many injury issues. It's not worth taking the risk with him IMO.

I think he's the best pitcher of the bunch. He has no leverage either. I would imagine that he doesn't want to go back to school. I'd be perfectly fine with adding Aiken to the system or taking the 9th pick next year as compensation.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 06:15 PM)
I think he's the best pitcher of the bunch. He has no leverage either. I would imagine that he doesn't want to go back to school. I'd be perfectly fine with adding Aiken to the system or taking the 9th pick next year as compensation.

to me, if this was being done today, and the pitchers are what the owner wants. then it is Kirby and Bickford. the reason, in about 2 yrs he will be up and pitching, can you imagine what the starting 5 is going to look like, wow. just imagine.

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 01:11 PM)
to me, if this was being done today, and the pitchers are what the owner wants. then it is Kirby and Bickford. the reason, in about 2 yrs he will be up and pitching, can you imagine what the starting 5 is going to look like, wow. just imagine.

You can afford to take a guy that isn't up soon though with the starting pitching depth that the Sox have.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 03:10 PM)
You can afford to take a guy that isn't up soon though with the starting pitching depth that the Sox have.

These things have a way of disappearing in a hot hurry