Realistic 2015 Lineup

Jose Abreu

Not sure why all the hype over 2015. From where I'm sitting, the Sox are still playing to make the postseason in 2014.

With the offense clicking again, and a current homestand against Minnesota and Texas, I think the Sox could be as high as second in the AL Central, and above .500, over the next 5 games. And with Avisail Garcia and Lindstrom on minor league rehab assignments likely to join the team soon after that, I'm not sure why the Sox can't play well enough after that to put them in the thick of the last wildcard spot race.

This is also why I'm not among those who think the Sox will dump players on waiver-wire deals.

There will be plenty of time to sort out next year's lineup during the offseason. For now, I'd like to see if this Sox team can make a run.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Lillian @ Aug 2, 2014 -> 12:45 PM)
Today at 1:31 PM

The two biggest needs for the Sox next year are:

1) A middle of the order, left handed power bat, to protect Abreu. Without that protection, opposing teams would simply neutralize Jose's bat, by going around him.

2) A right handed starting pitcher, to balance the rotation, which is dominated by southpaws. It still seems unlikely that the Sox would keep a rotation consisting of the top 4 starters all being left handed. They will need at least a #2, or #3 to balance Sale, Quintana and Rodon. Even if Danks is not gone, a RHP has to be in front of his spot in the rotation.

Unless trading Alexei fills one of those two needs, I don’t see the point. There is no elite defensive replacement SS in the organization, who is ready to take his place, and of the best candidates, none are likely to be as good offensively. The $10 million that he is owed is not going to represent an obstacle to the front office spending elsewhere, and is not out of line with his value.

Perhaps, by the end of next season Tim Anderson, or Rondon will be ready to inherit the SS position, but until then, I don’t see Semien as being a replacement, whom we could expect to provide Alexei’s elite defense, much less his offensive production. Additionally, since I favor trading Viciedo, Alexei being a fellow Cuban teammate for Abreu, might be an important intangible to consider.

Sanchez is the best defensive second baseman in the organization, and his ability to hit from both sides of the plate make him my candidate to succeed Beckham, who most of us seem confident will be gone.

I love Micah Johnson’s offensive game, but unless he can improve his defense, I’m not sure that it makes sense to sacrifice defense, up the middle, for a guy who is probably best suited to bat lead off, where the Sox already have Eaton. Even if Johnson could play LF, the Sox may need to use the opening there to make room for a LH power bat.

De Aza has to be the most dispensable outfielder, and Sierra has much better tools to take his place. He’s also much younger, and would have no impact on the payroll. If you read some of the scouting reports on him, from the last 2 or 3 years, he is purported to have significant power potential. I had the impression that he was more of a defense and speed guy, but the reason that he has been considered so intriguing is, in large part, due to his power potential.

Given that power potential, he provides a more attractive option than Viciedo, as well. He’s only 6 months older than Dayan, and is a very good defensive player, with speed and a great arm. Moreover, Sierra’s power is not derived from the kind of violent, big swing that Viciedo employs. That is likely to result in more contact and a better average than Dayan will be able to achieve. Neither Viciedo nor Sierra have realized their potential, and given the vastly better tools, I’d opt for giving Sierra the playing time. Viciedo does also possess a terrifc arm, but that’s the only other tool he has, aside from the ability to hit for power. As long as Sierra’s projected power potential is legitimate, why not let the player who can contribute in so many other ways, get the chance to develop it? And, of course, Sierra would not negatively impact the payroll.

Although I was on board with the practically unanimous view that the Sox needed to upgrade the catching position, I’m very encouraged by Flowers’ recent ability to “square up” pitches. Ever since he donned the specs, in favor of contacts, he has really looked dangerous. This is the first time, all season, that he seems to have an idea of what he’s doing with the bat in his hands. Earlier in the year, even when he was hitting for average, he almost never barreled the ball up. We all remember that crazy streak, during which he got so many “duck snorts” and other lucky hits.

I love his hitting to right field, and if this new approach allows him to have decent at bats, his power will ultimately become a factor, Tyler is extremely strong.

Defensively, I don’t know how he is rated, but he passes the “eye test” for me. I like his pitch calling, and pitch blocking, and he has a strong and accurate arm.

My 2015 lineup:

CF Eaton

SS Ramirez

1B Abreu

DH The LH Power Bat? (I’m hoping that Wilkins is for real. He may be a long shot, but at least he has a better chance than a certain former star, for whom I was hoping last year)

LF A.Garcia

3B Gillaspie vs RHP / Semien vs. LHP

RF Sierra

C Flowers

2B Sanchez

I have trouble imagining that Davidson could be ready to contribute, any earlier than late next season.

I'm kind of making a list of LH players right now who may fit the profile of what Hahn is looking for. Now I am no where near done with this but if the Sox want a LH OF and can save the power bat for DH . Jason Heyward may not be a bad solution. I saw another poster mention his name.

He'll still be only 25 Aug. 9th and become a free agent after the 2015 season. The Sox can look to trade for him or sign him as a free agent though I'd prefer they trade for him and then if they can't resign him ...well you know the drill.

He's often injured much like Ellsbury/Kemp was/is. He plays elite defense , runs well as u might expect from a guy who plays elite defense. And he might just remind Sox fans of a younger LH version of Jermaine Dye maybe without as much power though he did have 27 when he was 22. The question is much like we see with other players. Did they peak at an early age before their bodies discovered the rigors of a full season of MLB. He would play RF and Avi could be moved to LF where he's probably more suited.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (Lillian @ Aug 2, 2014 -> 01:45 PM)

The two biggest needs for the Sox next year are:

1) A middle of the order, left handed power bat, to protect Abreu. Without that protection, opposing teams would simply neutralize Jose's bat, by going around him.

2) A right handed starting pitcher, to balance the rotation, which is dominated by southpaws. It still seems unlikely that the Sox would keep a rotation consisting of the top 4 starters all being left handed. They will need at least a #2, or #3 to balance Sale, Quintana and Rodon. Even if Danks is not gone, a RHP has to be in front of his spot in the rotation.

There's absolutely no way that making the rotation less left-handed is the second biggest need for this team.

QUOTE (VAfan @ Aug 2, 2014 -> 01:28 PM)
Not sure why all the hype over 2015. From where I'm sitting, the Sox are still playing to make the postseason in 2014.

With the offense clicking again, and a current homestand against Minnesota and Texas, I think the Sox could be as high as second in the AL Central, and above .500, over the next 5 games. And with Avisail Garcia and Lindstrom on minor league rehab assignments likely to join the team soon after that, I'm not sure why the Sox can't play well enough after that to put them in the thick of the last wildcard spot race.

This is also why I'm not among those who think the Sox will dump players on waiver-wire deals.

There will be plenty of time to sort out next year's lineup during the offseason. For now, I'd like to see if this Sox team can make a run.

While it's tres admirable to keep the faith in your team , much as I do, certain realities have to be looked square in the eyes.

Numero uno is starting pitching. We just don't have it to put together any kind of long lasting 20-25 game run nor do we have a bona fide closer or reliable setup guys in the pen. The offense is sporadic only just recently producing after a long drought after a fast start and more than likely, unless Avi really shocks us with a very high level of play, goes back to producing much less.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 2, 2014 -> 03:58 PM)
There's absolutely no way that making the rotation less left-handed is the second biggest need for this team.

Yeah, i have never understood that. If Q and Danks started the first 2 games of a series, do people really believe that give a team a better shot of getting to Sale if he is pitching game 3? These guys have different stuff, different release points. If you have 5 solid starters and the all are lefty or all are righty, you are ahead of most.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 2, 2014 -> 04:03 PM)
Yeah, i have never understood that. If Q and Danks started the first 2 games of a series, do people really believe that give a team a better shot of getting to Sale if he is pitching game 3? These guys have different stuff, different release points. If you have 5 solid starters and the all are lefty or all are righty, you are ahead of most.

I can see how it might be theoretically "nice to have," but I can't imagine any legitimate component of the roster that wouldn't be a higher priority.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Aug 2, 2014 -> 07:45 PM)

Sierra has much better tools to take his place. He’s also much younger, and would have no impact on the payroll. If you read some of the scouting reports on him, from the last 2 or 3 years, he is purported to have significant power potential. I had the impression that he was more of a defense and speed guy, but the reason that he has been considered so intriguing is, in large part, due to his power potential.

Given that power potential, he provides a more attractive option than Viciedo, as well. He’s only 6 months older than Dayan, and is a very good defensive player, with speed and a great arm. Moreover, Sierra’s power is not derived from the kind of violent, big swing that Viciedo employs. That is likely to result in more contact and a better average than Dayan will be able to achieve. Neither Viciedo nor Sierra have realized their potential, and given the vastly better tools, I’d opt for giving Sierra the playing time. Viciedo does also possess a terrifc arm, but that’s the only other tool he has, aside from the ability to hit for power. As long as Sierra’s projected power potential is legitimate, why not let the player who can contribute in so many other ways, get the chance to develop it? And, of course, Sierra would not negatively impact the payroll.

a very good post well thought out. I do disagree with the Sierra and your assessment of him and his talent,

however that is my opinion.

again a very good reading post.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 2, 2014 -> 01:24 PM)
I look at the upcoming free agent class and am not too excited about the White Sox prospects. Either it is going to be prohibitive or a bunch of crap. I don't know why if you don't like Adam Dunn and know the Sox are looking for left handed hitting, why you would want the team to throw money at Billy Butler. He has been awful.

There's always Justin Morneau if the Rox expose him to waivers. Of course he's hitting well where a lot of guys hit well in Colorado and in the NL so it'

s a matter of trusting if his reemergence is real . But I know one thing the guy is not K'ing much at all. Perfect LH candidate to DH along with VMart.

QUOTE (daggins @ Aug 3, 2014 -> 09:32 AM)
Wonder what the Reds would want for Latos. MLBTR had a blurb saying they were "dangling" him at the deadline.

About to get expensive but definitely good and still young.

I'd love to add Latos and/or Bruce in the off season.

They're not going to bid on Sandoval because 1) he wants to play 3B everyday and 2) 3B is not their biggest area of need and 3) he's not going to take a shorter-term contract and 4) getting close to 30's and weight issue problems are a big unknown (see Fielder)....finally, there's the whole transitioning an NL player to the AL thing.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Aug 3, 2014 -> 12:24 PM)
Martinez with another homerun, 3r shot , someone wants a big payday lol

Hopefully he stays with the Tigers, they overpay and he does a Konerko fade...don't want any part of hitter in his late 30's after his FA drive has already ended.

Plus, he was closer to Ozzie than he would be anyone with the current staff. That said, Hispanic players would seem to find Chicago a decent target destination because of all the Cubans on our team...assuming they get along well with and respect Cuban players/tradition/style of play.

You'd have to think Abreu has earned a lot of respect for how he carries himself, and seemingly every fellow MLB hitter would want to come before him in a line-up.

Edited by caulfield12

Apparently, I need to revise my list of the "biggest needs" for the 2015 Sox. 1) Bullpen, 2) bullpen and 3) more bullpen.

I was thinking that with Putnam and Lindstrom back, and maybe one more piece, that they might be OK next season.

After the last few games, it appears they may need more than one more piece.

They need two lefties; a LOOGY and a solid LH set up man. They also need a closer.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Aug 3, 2014 -> 05:51 PM)
Apparently, I need to revise my list of the "biggest needs" for the 2015 Sox. 1) Bullpen, 2) bullpen and 3) more bullpen.

I was thinking that with Putnam and Lindstrom back, and maybe one more piece, that they might be OK next season.

After the last few games, it appears they may need more than one more piece.

They need two lefties; a LOOGY and a solid LH set up man. They also need a closer.

I don't know if you need both, you just really need ONE guy you can count on first.

As it stands, it wouldn't make sense to spend money on a Miller type (overspending, based on his 2014) or Downs, etc.

I actually think that bringing Rodon onto the roster in this long-man/set-up role ala Buehrle or Chris Sale (although Sale had high leverage situations almost instantly) makes the most sense, although I certainly wouldn't push him up to the big leagues until after I made sure he didn't qualify for Super-2, so sometime in June after 2 months of quality pitching in Birmingham or Winston-Salem or a combination of both.

QUOTE (VAfan @ Aug 2, 2014 -> 04:28 PM)

I take it back. After losing a home series to the Twins, having a manager who doesn't manage well, and having a bullpen with so many failed players, I don't think there's any chance this team can make a run.

QUOTE (VAfan @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 04:02 AM)
I take it back. After losing a home series to the Twins, having a manager who doesn't manage well, and having a bullpen with so many failed players, I don't think there's any chance this team can make a run.

The Sox have teased us diehards. This series was jinxed from the start when somebody posted how easy a homestand this is. It doesn't matter who the Sox play ... it matters how the Sox play. Ridiculous to think it would be a easy homestand.