Ray Rice Cut and Suspended Indefinitely

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 9, 2014 -> 04:32 PM)
So if this was, say, a woman bodybuilder, who had slugged her boyfriend, do you think there would be anywhere near the same reaction?

It's not exactly the same thing, but Hope Solo is still playing professional women's soccer and is still part of the USWNT despite her incident earlier in the year

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 9, 2014 -> 03:29 PM)
Murder and battery are not equivalent. If Ray Rice murdered his fiance, Im pretty sure they wouldnt have entered him into a domestic violence program

So lets make a legitimate comparison.

You are out one night with your friends drinking. One of your friends gets annoying and you tell him to stop. He keeps going. Youre drunk and not thinking straight, you knock him out. The police come. Your friend is like "Hey its not really his fault, we were both drunk and acting stupid, 1 time incident."

Should you go to jail? You knocked a human out, are you a menace? A bad person?

Youre entitled to your opinion. I have no problem if Rice is terminated, suspended, whatever. I think its sad that most people actually dont care about the victim and care more about patting themselves on the back about how much they stand against domestic violence, but that will never change.

And I dont think Ive once supported Ray Rice. Ive merely challenged people to look at the situation rationally instead of like a lynch mob. You can always take your time to review/investigate and then make an informed decision to execute. You just cant execute and take it back.

So he knocked her unconscious, she hit her head on the way down and "oh it was a one time mistake". However, if that same fall resulted in a head injury that caused her death, HIS action is totally different in your mind.

And if you knock your friend out in public, yes you should be locked up. What "good person" knocks their friends unconscious?

Ray Rice is scum. He ultimately got what he at minimum deserved.

I think most people do care about the victim. They are very worried she is in a dangerous place. The people not worried about the victim are the ones saying, well she still married him. That is not what a woman who is thinking clearly would have done.

I really doubt we have seen the last of Ray Rice and police.

I dont know if she is in a dangerous place or not. If shes in a dangerous place than its really not the NFL/Ravens we should be yelling at, its the police/prosecutor/judge who are not pressing charges and are letting a potentially violent/dangerous situation continue.

Its their responsibility to protect her.

And yah outcomes make a difference. If you speed and get home safe its a lot different than if you speed and kill a pedestrian. Same action, different outcome. Unfortunately that is how the world works.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 07:59 AM)
It's not exactly the same thing, but Hope Solo is still playing professional women's soccer and is still part of the USWNT despite her incident earlier in the year

Even though nobody in the NFL would ever admit it, the caliber of the player factors in on stuff like this. A team is less likely to keep around a player involved in something like this when they past their prime and likely being overpaid. If Calvin Johnson did the exact same thing the Lions wouldnt release him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 04:57 PM)
The Associated Press ‏@AP 5m

BREAKING: AP Source: Law enforcement official sent copy of Ray Rice tape to NFL executive in April

The official isn't named because they didn't have permission to release the video, but they released a recording of the person he/she spoke to acknowledging that they'd gotten the tape and it was "pretty bad".

That's a detailed paper trail if there ever was one.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 04:14 PM)
Lying for Ray Rice. Yup, seems worth it to risk your job for that.

And to think they were so naive to think the full video would never come out.

Yeah you'd think it'd be the cover up of the integrity of the product with spygate. Or the cover up of evidence on just how inherently dangerous football is. But nope, it's going to be Ray Rice that does him in. :lol:

He assumed he was untouchable.

Im not really sure Goodell is going to step down and Im not really sure the NFL will force him to. At this point they just need some sort of diversion, maybe quickly pass the new drug rules and re-instate Gordon etc. Basically just need to change the news cycle and people will forget about this, like everything else.

Goodell is a lot bigger whale than Ray Rice, you may catch him, but it would be really hard unless he voluntarily resigns.

I literally can't believe it. It is unfathomably stupid for a guy as smart as Goodell and for the smart people in the league. You can't lie about these things and not get caught. No chance. Goodell must not have known an executive received it. That's the only logical explanation.

If it's an attempt to cover up, just wow. Unbelievably stupid. Historically stupid.

I think the worst part was justifying the light sentence with discussing how great a guy Ray Rice was, and obviously letting that press conference happen with Baltimore.

They could have had that sentence and still hid behind a veil of re-examining the punishments for domestic violence, and that they took the matter seriously. Instead it was "he is a first time offender and understands his mistakes and is going to correct them. Great guy. Total class act."

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 04:24 PM)
I literally can't believe it. It is unfathomably stupid for a guy as smart as Goodell and for the smart people in the league. You can't lie about these things and not get caught. No chance. Goodell must not have known an executive received it. That's the only logical explanation.

If it's an attempt to cover up, just wow. Unbelievably stupid. Historically stupid.

I just can't buy that, though.

Now, doesn't mean someone doesn't try to take the fall for it, but there's no chance that video doesn't go to the higher ups, including Goodell.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 05:14 PM)
Lying for Ray Rice. Yup, seems worth it to risk your job for that.

And to think they were so naive to think the full video would never come out.

It wasn't to protect Rice. It's all about keeping the money train rolling. They don't care about women who get hit. They don't care about their own players dying prematurely from liver failure and such from being fed pain pills like candy. They fought tooth and nail to squash any concussion research regarding longterm affects from playing football.