Dodgers aggressively pursuing Alexei

flavum

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 10:39 AM)
They don't have to sink a ton of money into the rotation. There will be options available both via free agency and trade that will be worthwhile investments, and the Sox have Rodon sitting in the minors (along with guys like Beck, Bassitt, Danish, and Montas in the mid-to-high minors) who could make an impact as well.

If you want someone better them danks starting next year right off that bat you will have to put a good amount of money or prospects to get it. If are not happy with danks era and want better then the sox shouldn't have noesi in the 4 rotation either. Look at the teams who made the post season and tell me non of them didn't have a guy with the a era in the 4. Again no one knows when rodon will be available. Beck, Danish and Montas still could be ways away.

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 11:37 AM)
I am not a big fan of the idea that you have to move someone for "value's" sake. Many times a players best value to the team is playing on the team, and I feel that numbers don't do Alexei justice. I would be thrilled to keep him for the next two years, and unless the offer blows me away, would have no problem doing so, even if he falls off in hindsight.

more likes and agreements...lol. I don't get the whole value thing either especially if you're trying to win ballgames now. I don't see how creating a big hole at SS, the most important position on the field, for future prospects helps the team now. I just feel as bad as our defense is, trading a gold glove caliber SS is a mistake unless of course we're still in rebuild mode. I will say that all this trade talk is exciting though. Hahn has made all the right moves since he's been running the show so I'll just have to trust in him to do the right thing for the team.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 10:50 AM)
Nobody has said this.

Barring injury or falling off the rails completely, Rodon will pitch for the White Sox this year out of the rotation and will probably end up around 150-160 innings overall. I think they'll acquire another starting pitcher. At that point, your top 4 will likely be Sale, Quintana, new guy, and Rodon. Whether the 5th is Danks, Noesi, Bassitt, Jack McDowell, Wilbur Wood, or whoever, it doesn't matter.

No one said that but you complained he wasn't league average. No one in the majors has everyone at league average. Eminor3rd said cause of his performance he should have been sent down to Charlotte if it wasn't for his contract. Shouldn't Verlander have been sent down for the tigers if it wasn't based on his contract for last year

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 10:56 AM)
If you want someone better them danks starting next year right off that bat you will have to put a good amount of money or prospects to get it. If are not happy with danks era and want better then the sox shouldn't have noesi in the 4 rotation either. Look at the teams who made the post season and tell me non of them didn't have a guy with the a era in the 4. Again no one knows when rodon will be available. Beck, Danish and Montas still could be ways away.

Yeah ok.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 10:56 AM)

That's true that the good prospects are at least a year away, but the Sox currently have 3 5th-starters in the rotation and probably another 1 or 2 that could deliver similarly. so they are going to have to sign a #3ish pitcher to be competitive. That would make Danks (or another) expendable.

So they should be willing to ship Danks in any number of trades, whether to absorb money, or a change of scenery move (Etheir/Danks) or whatever.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 11:10 AM)
No one said that but you complained he wasn't league average. No one in the majors has everyone at league average. Eminor3rd said cause of his performance he should have been sent down to Charlotte if it wasn't for his contract. Shouldn't Verlander have been sent down for the tigers if it wasn't based on his contract for last year

When the Dodgers sign Scherzer, they'll have Kershaw and Greinke as well...one of those will be a 3 in their rotation, by definition.

Ryu becomes the 4th (even though he's a 2/3 on most teams), and Dan Haren 5th.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 04:55 PM)
That's true that the good prospects are at least a year away, but the Sox currently have 3 5th-starters in the rotation and probably another 1 or 2 that could deliver similarly. so they are going to have to sign a #3ish pitcher to be competitive. That would make Danks (or another) expendable.

So they should be willing to ship Danks in any number of trades, whether to absorb money, or a change of scenery move (Etheir/Danks) or whatever.

Yes the sox have a bunch of 5th starter type option. For the sox to compete they only need to have one as the 5th starter. that means they need to get 2 more starters. I'm not saying the sox shouldn't try to upgrade from danks but if he is stuck on the team hes not the worst pitcher in the world. if he puts up the numbers of 2014 or better then hes not going to kill the sox. whats going to kill them is having a bunch of 5th starter types. Im sure the sox would like to unload danks but if it was easy to do then they would have done it already. so im guessing the would have to eat a good amount of the contract and they dont usually do that. i really dont like the idea of swapping the one bad contract for another. If it was for 2 years like danks and possibly got us something we were missing then fine but more years on the other contract means more time stuck with it.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 05:41 PM)
Yes the sox have a bunch of 5th starter type option. For the sox to compete they only need to have one as the 5th starter. that means they need to get 2 more starters. I'm not saying the sox shouldn't try to upgrade from danks but if he is stuck on the team hes not the worst pitcher in the world. if he puts up the numbers of 2014 or better then hes not going to kill the sox. whats going to kill them is having a bunch of 5th starter types. Im sure the sox would like to unload danks but if it was easy to do then they would have done it already. so im guessing the would have to eat a good amount of the contract and they dont usually do that. i really dont like the idea of swapping the one bad contract for another. If it was for 2 years like danks and possibly got us something we were missing then fine but more years on the other contract means more time stuck with it.

Sale

Qunitana

RHSP FA

Rodon ( after 6 weeks )

Noesi

That's ideal for me and obviously it requires trading Danks... Which I think is a hot topic on Rick's cell phone right now. Fingers crossed.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 08:24 PM)
It would cost a lot less. Seriously though, Danks needs to be out of the equation IMO, even if they have to eat quite a bit of salary. Your plan is a good one for the rotation.

Of course it's a good plan - I'm a White Sox fan with moderate functional OCD.

It's the offseason and all there is at the moment is refresh Soxtalk / MLB Trade Rumors about 500 times a day.

What else did you expect - Some diluted poop from me?

QUOTE (woods of ypres @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 11:28 PM)
Pure speculation on his end, but Merk spitballed Danks for Papelbon.

I can't see Philly doing that, but I sure would.

That's an interesting proposition. No doubt the Sox need a closer and Danks would benefit from pitching in the NL. I think Papelbon is overpaid but then again, so is Danks. I would not object to the trade if it were to happen.

Doc Holladay...where are you?

Hamels, Cliff Lee, Buchanan, Jerome Williams and Miguel Angel Gonzalez/Pettitbone.

That's a big mess from the 3rd starter on, and Lee hasn't been healthy, either. Papelbon for Danks makes SOME sense, although I can't believe that would be much of a rotation solution for the Phillies, either.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 12:28 AM)
Doc Holladay...where are you?

Hamels, Cliff Lee, Buchanan, Jerome Williams and Miguel Angel Gonzalez/Pettitbone.

That's a big mess from the 3rd starter on, and Lee hasn't been healthy, either. Papelbon for Danks makes SOME sense, although I can't believe that would be much of a rotation solution for the Phillies, either.

Phil Rodgers actually hits the entire article dead on IMO.

5 Things the Sox Should Do Next

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 05:39 AM)
This discussion has been a lot of fun, and you guys have provided some very good, thoughtful analysis. From my perspective, and to summarize, it seems the Dodgers are seeking to accomplish the following:

1) To acquire a SS for the next 2 years.

2) To unload some of their enormous payroll

3) To make room for their core outfielders by moving a couple of veterans, from the group of Crawford, Ethier and Kemp

The Sox are seeking:

1) A LH Hitting, middle of the order bat

2) One outfielder, with both decent defense, as well as offensive production

3) A RH Starting pitcher, who is capable of being at least a #4, or better. They already have a #5 in Noesi

4) A mix of veteran leadership, while strengthening their young core going forward.

If that assessment of the respective objectives of both teams is correct, it would appear that the teams match up sufficiently in the following ways:

1) Ethier satisfies the Dodgers' need to clear some payroll and their crowded outfield, while providing the Sox a LH Middle of the order bat, with adequate defense for a corner OF spot and veteran leadership.

2) Alexei satisfies the Dodgers' need for an outstanding defensive SS, who also provides offense, and does not represent a long term financial commitment.

3) Schebler satisfies the Sox need for a LH power bat, in the outfield, going forward. The only other potential left handed, power bat in the Sox organization is Barnum, who is first baseman, and several

years from the Major Leagues. Schebler probably still needs at least 1 year at AAA. Ethier could move to DH as a platoon player, once he is ready.

That is the core of a potential trade. The Dodgers accomplish 3 of their objectives by acquiring their SS, moving payroll, and making room in their crowded outfield.

The Sox accomplish 3 of their goals by acquiring a LH middle of the order bat, a corner outfielder with some veteran leadership, while still strengthening their core going forward.

I understand that Ethier is a not a productive hitter vs. LHP. However, it seems most of the good left handed starters in our division are on the Sox. Moreover, I'm sure that the Sox can find someone to

platoon with Ethier, and the rest never hurts a guy in his mid 30's. As some have suggested, don't under estimate his production against RH pitching. I would add; don't under estimate the Sox need for such

left handed offensive production. We are all concerned about Ethier's sudden drop off, last year. It seems reasonable to assume that it was an aberration, as he is not that old, and has always been a very

consistently good hitter, albeit vs. RH pitching only.

Moving Danks and his contract, is a benefit to the Sox, not the Dodgers. If he is included in the deal, the Sox would have to provide another benefit to the Dodgers. I don't think that the Sox have any

expendable players, in whom L.A. would have interest. Therefore I don't see that happening.

At this point, Danks may be considered a #4 starter, with the added benefit of being LH. Lefties who can eat innings are always in demand. I would think that there might be some team interested

in swapping their #3, or 4 RH starter for Danks. If there were no significant difference in the contracts, that might be a realistic match.

To further clarify a couple of points, regarding what I posted above:

1) A deal involving Alexei for Ethier and Schebler, is feasible. However, we can certainly argue over the exact details eg; the Sox could insist upon some cash, or an additional player.

2) Ethier and Ramirez are the same age, but Alexei's skill set is likely to decline faster than Andre's. Ramirez depends upon his speed and range, to remain an elite SS. Ethier is a patient, professional hitter,

with a high OBP. Those are the kinds of skills that are easier to sustain, late into a player's career.

3) When I said that the Sox had only one potential LH impact bat in the organization, I inadvertently overlooked Wilkins. He is still young enough to be considered, but he doesn't seem to be part of the

organization's plans. Perhaps another successful season at AAA will change that

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 04:48 AM)
To further clarify a couple of points, regarding what I posted above:

1) A deal involving Alexei for Ethier and Schebler, is feasible. However, we can certainly argue over the exact details eg; the Sox could insist upon some cash, or an additional player.

2) Ethier and Ramirez are the same age, but Alexei's skill set is likely to decline faster than Andre's. Ramirez depends upon his speed and range, to remain an elite SS. Ethier is a patient, professional hitter,

with a high OBP. Those are the kinds of skills that are easier to sustain, late into a player's career.

3) When I said that the Sox had only one potential LH impact bat in the organization, I inadvertently overlooked Wilkins. He is still young enough to be considered, but he doesn't seem to be part of the

organization's plans. Perhaps another successful season at AAA will change that

HIGHLY doubtful.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 08:56 PM)
Sale

Qunitana

RHSP FA

Rodon ( after 6 weeks )

Noesi

That's ideal for me and obviously it requires trading Danks... Which I think is a hot topic on Rick's cell phone right now. Fingers crossed.

That's good except you need a replacement for Rodon as he will only pitch 165-175 innings this year.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Nov 20, 2014 -> 07:39 AM)
Who is Kent Maeda?

KenTA? Whatever his name is....Japanese (believed to be) mid-rotation guy, best one from their professional leagues likely to be posted.

Didn't realize he and his agent were going to be in Nashville.

Edited by caulfield12