Farewell to Dayan Viciedo

Boopa1219

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a huge DV fan back when he was coming up through the system. Put up some really good numbers in the minors and the first time I saw him in Baltimore he was playing 3B for the Sox and held his own that night while absolutely scorching a couple "tough luck" line drives. Thought the kid was the real deal based on his minor league stats and bat speed -- never translated.

Actually regressed as a hitter in his time as a Sox and also never improved one iota as a defender. "Power" isn't really any more valuable than it's ever been (might be harder to find, but that doesn't mean it's more valuable when talking about individual players) but defense is now properly valued and that kills guys like Viciedo. Not really that surprised nobody wanted to give up anything for him as the Sox had no leverage, any team that really wants him can now just entice him with playing time and it costs nothing via trade.

That said, in spring last year he seemed like a good team mate, signed a lot of autographs, was always laughing with the other players in warmups that kinda thing. Tough for his career but he's made decent money already and even if he never signs another deal if he spent his money well he should be fairly well set for life. His kids won't be, but he should.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (oldsox @ Feb 4, 2015 -> 08:45 PM)
Are you telling me that the Sox are not on the hook for Viciedo's salary?

yes. exactly, has been reported for months now. They paid him like 700k. I poured through the CBA, or what I could find of it online, looking for the clause that allows for only partially guaranteed contract. Closest thing I could find is that 1 year deals are subject to a clause where if a player is cut before certain days during the season he is only due a partial salary. Doesn't apply to guys that accepted arb or anyone on a multi year deal.

Maybe someone here could elaborate further.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

I think if he didn't cost $4M, he could have be that Carl Everett type player for this team. Play the field occasionally and DH. I'm sure Viciedo took it hard being tendered and then Melky being signed. Was hoping they would hold on to him but the Beckham ($2M) and Bonafacio ($4M) moves made it to where he didn't make financial sense to keep.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 4, 2015 -> 04:32 PM)
Both Philadelphia and Atlanta make a ton of sense as a landing spot. There are enough bad teams out there with bad outfields that he should be able to secure a spot where he will get a lot of playing time. I honestly think signing with a playoff team would be in his worst interests.

Atlanta is probably a good spot. That OF is horrid so he should be able to see some playing time.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 4, 2015 -> 08:37 PM)
I hope he doesn't sign with AL Central team, as he always looked dangerous vs LHP in my eyes

The Royals wouldn't surprise me, either. Of course, now they have Rios, but they can't be 100% confident in Kendrys Morales.

He's familiar with the AL Central already, and they can cover for him defensively with Gordon/Rios/Cain/Dyson much more easily than the White Sox could with their limitations outside of Eaton.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 5, 2015 -> 10:40 AM)
The Royals wouldn't surprise me, either.

They would surprise the hell out of me. It's a team that stresses strong defense and real athleticism. They have Alex Gordon, Lorenzo Cain, Alex Rios, Jarrod Dyson, Terrance Gore, and Reymond Fuentes as their top 6 outfielders, and Eric Hosmer and Kendrys Morales at 1B. There's absolutely no room whatsoever for Dayan Viciedo unless he wants to live in Omaha for the year.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 5, 2015 -> 10:43 AM)
They would surprise the hell out of me. It's a team that stresses strong defense and real athleticism. They have Alex Gordon, Lorenzo Cain, Alex Rios, Jarrod Dyson, Terrance Gore, and Reymond Fuentes as their top 6 outfielders, and Eric Hosmer and Kendrys Morales at 1B. There's absolutely no room whatsoever for Dayan Viciedo unless he wants to live in Omaha for the year.

And how many homers did all of those names combine for in 2014?

Dyson and Gore have almost no pop. Rios had 4 homers last season.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 5, 2015 -> 11:03 AM)
And how many homers did all of those names combine for in 2014?

Dyson and Gore have almost no pop. Rios had 4 homers last season.

Who cares? Dayan Viciedo, despite being able to hit the ball 600 feet, is not a very good player and the Royals have absolutely no room or need for a player like him.