FS: Seven Spring Training Storylines

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Feb 21, 2015 -> 02:29 PM)
The biggest storyline so far:

Dan Hayes ‏@CSNHayes 4m4 minutes ago

#WhiteSox camp has been overrun by scorpions. Three were found last night.

The Tigers had somebody plant them there. This is how the hijinks start in kids' sports movies.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 20, 2015 -> 11:45 PM)
Regarding Rodon and service time, a full year is considered 172 days. Given that a major league season is 180+ days, you simply need to wait two weeks or so before calling up the player to get that extra year of control.

considering the sox won't expand the roster for pitchers, some time a month later, it may work perfectly. unless the sox brass has an agreement with his agent.

Interested to know why Brantly is seen as having more chance of winning the backup job than Kottaras, who "hasn't excelled on either side of the ball at the major league level". Kottaras is a lifetime league average hitter at the MLB level (100 wRC+), whilst Brantly has been horrible (69 wRC+). It's not like Brantly has excelled defensively either, ranking 88th of 108 in framing in 2012 and 109th of 116 in 2013. Kottaras has been 66th of 105, 32nd of 113, 80th of 112 and 78th of 108.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Feb 22, 2015 -> 11:36 AM)
Interested to know why Brantly is seen as having more chance of winning the backup job than Kottaras, who "hasn't excelled on either side of the ball at the major league level". Kottaras is a lifetime league average hitter at the MLB level (100 wRC+), whilst Brantly has been horrible (69 wRC+). It's not like Brantly has excelled defensively either, ranking 88th of 108 in framing in 2012 and 109th of 116 in 2013. Kottaras has been 66th of 105, 32nd of 113, 80th of 112 and 78th of 108.

Well on the one hand, I think you can ignore framing numbers in that small a sample size, and defense is way beyond framing.

But you make a good point about Kottaras' hitting, he's actually a better hitter than I thought, now that I look deeper. Or maybe more accurately, he's a better walker, as he does get on base quite often. Thanks for the feedback, I'm going to go update the article a bit!

The other thing is, Brantly is still 25 for this season, Kottaras is 31 going to be 32 during the year. Brantly is seen as still maybe having some upside.

Starting the season at Charlotte, ostensibly to work on his change up, makes the most sense. That provides "cover" for his not being on the parent club, right out of the gate, for those who might

question the organization's motive. Actually, it also wouldn't hurt for him to be able to rely on that pitch, as it would put much less stress on his arm, than throwing all of those sliders. If he used the change

enough, he might be able to throw more innings, than he is accustomed to, with the collegiate schedule. If he can add that pitch to his fast ball and that devastating slider, he could become something really

special.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Feb 22, 2015 -> 11:36 AM)

A stat like this is in such an infancy, has such a variation between sources, and is so imperfect, that it is hardly worth disqualifying a guy over.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 02:02 PM)
Maybe Brantly has a reputation for calling a good game.

In non punting years the Sox seem to want a backup catcher that meets the criteria of "would the staff not mind throwing to him if the lead guy goes down for a few weeks". Nieto obviously didn't meet this criteria, but they weren't really trying last year either. Whoever has the most comfort with the staff will win the backup role IMO. Personally, I'd much rather see Kottaras win the job because of his OBP skills.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 12:28 PM)
In non punting years the Sox seem to want a backup catcher that meets the criteria of "would the staff not mind throwing to him if the lead guy goes down for a few weeks". Nieto obviously didn't meet this criteria, but they weren't really trying last year either. Whoever has the most comfort with the staff will win the backup role IMO. Personally, I'd much rather see Kottaras win the job because of his OBP skills.

Hahn really likes Soto. I read some article that claimed Soto would wind up playing more than Flowers.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 02:26 PM)
So who does everyone think is going to win the 2B job?? Was watching a CSN video and they had Beckham as the projected 2B to start the season. That is the one guy I don't want starting

I don't know who updates the Sox website's depth chart, but I agree with them...

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/team/depth...ex.jsp?c_id=cws

They want Johnson to win it. He has to play bad in spring training not to be the 2B on opening day.

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 02:29 PM)
I don't know who updates the Sox website's depth chart, but I agree with them...

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/team/depth...ex.jsp?c_id=cws

They want Johnson to win it. He has to play bad in spring training not to be the 2B on opening day.

Seeing on CSN that they though Beckham would win made me cringe. I can't imagine we traded him and made all these great moves to get better just to bring him back and start 2B again. He can be a fine bench player for us and a guy who can fill in for a couple weeks if someone is injured.

I hope Johnson is our 2B, just another exciting player to look forward to during the season.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Feb 19, 2015 -> 05:12 PM)
The irrational exuberance on Micah Johnson is one of the most inexplicable things I've seen. He can't field 2B. Until he does, he's a 25th man, at best. If he gets 400 PA in Charlotte and goes 300/340/440 with 30 out of 40 SB and the reports on his defense are better -- than fine, pencil him in for 2016.

Until then he's just a middling prospect IMO. He's not 22, he's 24, that's a major blow. He's older than Sanchez FFS.

MLB.com has Micah as the #2 second base prospect in all of baseball.

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 24, 2015 -> 04:09 PM)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 24, 2015 -> 04:11 PM)
Well now we know who the first guy sent to Charlotte will be.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 24, 2015 -> 04:14 PM)
Phil Rogers? We can all hope.

LOL, I don't understand how that guy keeps getting writing gigs in baseball. He isn't a very good writer, and doesn't seem to know much about baseball.

That said, I completely agree with him on this one - Soto has the inside track, but by no means is he a lock.