2015 Opening Day Thread

Jose Abreu

• Replies 831
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 6, 2015 -> 06:06 PM)
Eh his point stands. I played DIII and we used to crank the pitching machine up to 90 on occasion. Once you got it timed it wasn't that hard. Now, I played against a kid that got drafted by the Tribe in round 9. That kid has incredible stuff for DIII but only got to AA before flaming out. Right now Drabek looks like a high A ball guy.

I played myself. A well located fastball is tough to hit. Hell I could hit at 93 if the guy kept throwing it. I will just respectfully disagree even talking to guys who I personally know that have been drafted playing minor league ball now.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 6, 2015 -> 10:48 PM)
Facial Hair is the reason. LOL

The facial hair looks really stupid when you get beat down as the Sox did today. It's like they are neanderthal men trying to hit a baseball with a club.

Oh well, got to take one of three. 0-3 after last year's 6-13 vs. KC would be pretty lousy. Say what you want, KC does expect to beat the Sox now every time they take the field. You could see it in Hosmer's cocky face before the game when he was joking around. Sox are gonna have to do something about that. 1-2 in this series would be OK.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 6, 2015 -> 06:09 PM)
I played myself. A well located fastball is tough to hit. Hell I could hit at 93 if the guy kept throwing it. I will just respectfully disagree even talking to guys who I personally know that have been drafted playing minor league ball now.

A well located fastball is tough to barrel up and drive. You can make contact and put the ball in play. You might not be successful in the outcome of what happens. I faced a few guys who had plus stuff and were 92-95. The different was however that their secondary stuff was no where near what these guys in the pro's throw. So sure you could get the bat on the ball and hit it. But its not RBI baseball where you are putting it into the stands.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 6, 2015 -> 06:13 PM)
The facial hair looks really stupid when you get beat down as the Sox did today. It's like they are neanderthal men trying to hit a baseball with a club.

Oh well, got to take one of three. 0-3 after last year's 6-13 vs. KC would be pretty lousy. Say what you want, KC does expect to beat the Sox now every time they take the field. You could see it in Hosmer's cocky face before the game when he was joking around. Sox are gonna have to do something about that. 1-2 in this series would be OK.

I will tell our CEO that he looks like a neanderthal because he has a beard. Good call.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 6, 2015 -> 06:14 PM)
A well located fastball is tough to barrel up and drive. You can make contact and put the ball in play. You might not be successful in the outcome of what happens. I faced a few guys who had plus stuff and were 92-95. The different was however that their secondary stuff was no where near what these guys in the pro's throw. So sure you could get the bat on the ball and hit it. But its not RBI baseball where you are putting it into the stands.

It really depends on the hitter. I generally loved to face guys with good breaking pitches as I always looked off speed. I was never the best fastball hitter (if I had half of Konerko's timing...) it was generally a reason why I was tough to K. ;)

Seems we have a few former college players here always nice to see people that have been around the game some. Not that is really matters to posting quality but there's something about actually doing the things (albeit at a much lower level than even rookie ball) that get talked about. There's some instruction I was able to receive at camps and clinics when I was in college that stick with me today and I try and look for when watching MLB.

That said I wish I had my 30 year old brain when I was playing at 20. I really didn't care much about baseball then I was all about partying. Probably could have had a much better career if I had focused more. I didn't even play my senior year of college wasn't all about the brutal weekend double headers with a 3 hour road trip both ways. Nothing like waking up at 7 am and getting home at 7pm completely drained from 14 innings and hours on the road.

At 22? f*** that rather drink all day long.

Anyways, today sucked let's hope this doesn't linger. A poor start will kill a lot of the momentum that was built in the off season and more importantly can't just be getting swept by division opponents right off the bat.

Not even one game before Robin is getting confused with Jennings. Don't walk Morales anyway, he is not to be feared until he proves otherwise. It didn't make a difference in the outcome since we couldn't hit today, but someday it will.

Terrible game for Flowers. Eventful debut for Micah. Get em next time.

I should add that Jennings did a nice job pitching to Gordon regardless and that I like Robin going to Drabek for an audition in a game we were never gonna win by that point.

Cool it with the KC "powerhouse" stuff. They were honestly one of the worst pennant winners of the last 20 years and they got worse.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Apr 6, 2015 -> 06:29 PM)
I should add that Jennings did a nice job pitching to Gordon regardless and that I like Robin going to Drabek for an audition in a game we were never gonna win by that point.

Cool it with the KC "powerhouse" stuff. They were honestly one of the worst pennant winners of the last 20 years and they got worse.

Id say theyre about even....lose Shields, Butler and Aoki....replace with Volquez, Morales and Rios.

The paramount thing is, the confidence of their young core guys like Gordon, Cain, Perez, Moustakas, Escobar and Hosmer is at an all-time high. Same with Ventura.

Shields and Butler werent as good as usual last year, either.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 6, 2015 -> 08:49 PM)
Id say theyre about even....lose Shields, Butler and Aoki....replace with Volquez, Morales and Rios.

The paramount thing is, the confidence of their young core guys like Gordon, Cain, Perez, Moustakas, Escobar and Hosmer is at an all-time high. Same with Ventura.

Shields and Butler werent as good as usual last year, either.

At the end of the day, there #1 beat our #3. Q will come to the rescue.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Apr 6, 2015 -> 07:29 PM)

Good post. I was actually quite happy with the way Jennings looked despite not having much of an overpowering arsenal. Nothing was hit hard against him. Drank won't be on this team after april.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Apr 6, 2015 -> 07:29 PM)

I'd say they're still a very solid team. The only "Powerhouse" stuff comes from their nauseating broadcast team. Good God I had to mute those shlurpping idiots by the 4th inning...

QUOTE (Wanne @ Apr 6, 2015 -> 06:11 PM)
I'd say they're still a very solid team. The only "Powerhouse" stuff comes from their nauseating broadcast team. Good God I had to mute those shlurpping idiots by the 4th inning...

They have won the right to be slurpped.